should obese people be classified disabled

TraynorTraynor Posts: 1,352
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Should obese people be classified disabled with a few exceptions of course i.e medical conditions?

Half them seem to be using the disability scooters which was not designed overweight people.

Comments

• teenagemartyrteenagemartyr Posts: 6,782
    Forum Member
    Yes

Next.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Traynor wrote: »
    Half them seem to be using the disability scooters which was not designed overweight people.

But they might have problems other than being overweight that require them to use a scooter.
  • Squishy22Squishy22 Posts: 3,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Being obese can cause heart and mobility problems which can be eased by using a scooter.
  • ResonanceResonance Posts: 16,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Should obese people be classified disabled with a few exceptions of course i.e medical conditions?

Really :confused:

I think there would be a few people going on a fish and chip diet if it meant they could get disability benefits just for being overweight.
  • Red OkktoberRed Okktober Posts: 10,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Squishy22 wrote: »
    Being obese can cause heart and mobility problems which can be eased by using a scooter.
    Or by eating less
  • Squishy22Squishy22 Posts: 3,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Or by eating less
    Excellent point! :D
  • TraynorTraynor Posts: 1,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dotty1 wrote: »
    But they might have problems other than being overweight that require them to use a scooter.

Hence me saying
    "few exceptions of course i.e medical conditions?"
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,733
    Forum Member
    I think merely being a DS member should be sufficient. ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 462
    Forum Member
    Allowing yourself to become obese is a disability of the mind, so yes I suppose in one way.
  • HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't necessarily think obesity = disabled.

I know plenty of people who would be classified as obese, but they have no mobility problems, and are not disadvantaged (read: disabled) at all.

However being very obese can easily lead to mobility problems, probably including blood flow, heart, leg and muscle problems - as well as potentially something psychological such as depression.

My grandfather has a blue badge and DLA basically because he is incredibly overweight. His weight has caused problems with his legs (DVT??), obstructive sleep apnoea and nerve damage of some sort (partially work related though but it's a cumulative effect) and general poor health.

He walks very slowly and can't walk any sort of real distance, so he is classified as having mobility problems.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hence me saying
    "few exceptions of course i.e medical conditions?"

But you also said 'Half them seem to be using the disability scooters which was not designed overweight people'.

So how do you know how many of those have medical conditions?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They should be classified as "Fat". Surely the last thing these people need is mobility scooters which feed into their inactivity.

# DISCLAIMER - this poster accepts some people have legitimate reasons for using scooter, but knows of a lot of fat lazy gits who need to learn to put down the cake!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jorrai wrote: »
    They should be classified as "Fat". Surely the last thing these people need is mobility scooters which feed into their inactivity.

# DISCLAIMER - this poster accepts some people have legitimate reasons for using scooter, but knows of a lot of fat lazy gits who need to learn to put down the cake!

Oh do shut up, you offensive idiot! :mad:
  • SentenzaSentenza Posts: 12,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    I don't necessarily think obesity = disabled.

I know plenty of people who would be classified as obese, but they have no mobility problems, and are not disadvantaged (read: disabled) at all.

However being very obese can easily lead to mobility problems, probably including blood flow, heart, leg and muscle problems - as well as potentially something psychological such as depression.

My grandfather has a blue badge and DLA basically because he is incredibly overweight. His weight has caused problems with his legs (DVT??), obstructive sleep apnoea and nerve damage of some sort (partially work related though but it's a cumulative effect) and general poor health.

He walks very slowly and can't walk any sort of real distance, so he is classified as having mobility problems.

So your Grandmother must be a feeder then?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sentenza wrote: »
    So your Grandmother must be a feeder then?

He used to like a lot of curries, beer and steak! :D

When you have been working in the coal mines and other misc labour jobs - you have to be able to indulge yourself!

Fair play to him.

Problem is, it leads to 'cause and effect'.. after you've put on some weight, you tend to put on more because you aren't as motivated to do any exercise and may comfort eat even more - so it sort of runs away with you.

Mind you, some of his problem is his legs gave way anyway because he was a factory operator and had to stand up for 10 hours a day.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,455
    Forum Member
    I don't think they should be classed as disabled. They would get unfair treatment like free parking, being able to park on yellow lines, etc.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Confusing wrote: »
    I don't think they should be classed as disabled. They would get unfair treatment like free parking, being able to park on yellow lines, etc.

Why is it unfair if they have trouble walking????? :confused::confused:

My grandad has a blue badge because of mobility problems due to weight.

He deserves it because he can't move very far at all!
  • XassyXassy Posts: 9,365
    Forum Member
    A lot of disabilities lead to people gaining huge amounts of weight. You don't realise how many calories you burn by simply moving around the house, walking up and down the stairs and going to the kitchen to get a cup of tea until you can't do it anymore!
  • Pyramid*Pyramid* Posts: 4,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lots of people stuff their faces with KFCs, Kebabs, beer, fast food takeaways that CAUSE them to become fat and obese. They created their OWN health issues because they have lazipigitis. :rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,455
    Forum Member
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    Why is it unfair if they have trouble walking????? :confused::confused:

My grandad has a blue badge because of mobility problems due to weight.

He deserves it because he can't move very far at all!
    Well I guess it depends how fat the person is then. Also how they become fat should be a factor too, like someone I know gained weight because of the medication they were on which is fair enough
    Pyramid* wrote: »
    Lots of people stuff their faces with KFCs, Kebabs, beer, fast food takeaways that CAUSE them to become fat and obese. They created their OWN health issues because they have lazipigitis. :rolleyes:
    Exactly, it's just like people who smoke and get cancer or something from it, no fault but their own.
  • SigurdSigurd Posts: 26,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jorrai wrote: »

Speaking as someone who is obese, I think you're quite right. A bit of exercise might well help such people.

I certainly don't regard myself as disabled. I walk and cycle fairly long distances, and (touching wood, crossing fingers, throwing salt over shoulder) I'm rarely ill. Admittedly I'd cycle up the hills a bit more easily I was two stone lighter, though. However, if a benevolent society chose to regard me as disabled and to offer me some cash, then I wouldn't really mind pretending to be handicapped.

Incidentally, there's a perfectly simple reason why I'm fat: I eat too much.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pyramid* wrote: »

:rolleyes:

Presumably you have no idea what it's like to be overweight!

Do you know anybody that wants it??

Some people just have poor self control, might comfort eat, might be short/low metabolism etc.

What's wrong with a bit of indulgence?

At least I'd be happier enjoying some beers and a large pub lunch, then a kebab after a night out than eating rabbit food.

Once you make the mistake and put on the weight, it's very hard to lose anyway!
  • B3atenB3aten Posts: 4,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We have a fattie at work and she just eats and eats and eats.Can't make it up the stairs and I find her repulsive. She has disabled herself.

Sorry Fatties - Your choice and your problem. I have absolutely no time for people that disable themselves.
  • Silk Cut SilverSilk Cut Silver Posts: 670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Makes me laugh when these overweight people use scooters because they're too fat to walk any where. They should of thought about that before they put the 20th doughnut in their gob.
  • The SnakesThe Snakes Posts: 8,940
    Forum Member
    They should not! No-one that is overweight should be classified as disabled. Do qualify as disabled they should get to their proper weight, and then prove they are disabled. Many people have nothing wrong with them other than lack of willpower and laziness. Those aren't disabilities.