How will One Direction do compared to JLS?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,159
Forum Member
✭✭
JLS first album had 1.2 mil sales, after 4 weeks their second album has 300k sales (not bad for a second album), sell out arena tour, 4 top 10 singles, number 1 and 2 album constantly labelled as a huge boyband ect ect the list goes on (I think every single one of their singles has got over 200k sales, even One Shot which was released after their album was released).

After X Factor you couldn't go anywhere without seeing a JLS hoody, even now I still see them on a regular basis, they got their own show, DVD, books, always on the telly doing shows, gigs, interviews, adverts I could go on forever

But how will 1D do, and will they match up to the bar JLS has set as a boyband from X Factor, how will their albums and singles do, will they pack out tours ect.. I'm genuinely intrigued as to what people think. (I'm also a big JLS fan :D)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1D have a shelf life.

I will be amazed if they do half as well as JLS.
  • kochspostulateskochspostulates Posts: 3,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think they will do really well as they are younger than JLS so appeal to younger people. If you are a 12 year old, you might think that someone who is in their 20s is too old for you, whereas a 16 year old is ok.

They may have to take a crash course in dancing though and try to move a bit instead of standing still and flapping their arms.
  • Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JLS have basic talent, One Direction do not & because of this I think their fans will get bored of them quite quickly, especially when they see them in concert.
  • flashgordon1952flashgordon1952 Posts: 3,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sorry to say one direction is off direction in my view, JLS is the better prefermers. by a million miles. Yes they boys are young but i think they have not got much talent ! just pretty faces. remember all tose boy bands of the 80s and 90s what happened to them all. Except "take that" who have two of the best singers in there band. mot have been one hit wonders ! watch there second song "bomb"
  • EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would amazed if 1D outsold JLS : they are not really a group at all,just five solo singers.

They are pretty limited too....okayish vocals but no better,and they can't move or dance.
  • wilko1978wilko1978 Posts: 1,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No comparison ffs! Overrated direction will not be even a quarter of the success JLS have been.
  • moogestermoogester Posts: 15,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has Simon even confirmed he's signing them? I can see him disappearing to the States and no more will be heard of them.
  • ucra girlucra girl Posts: 19,741
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Willz wrote: »
    JLS first album had 1.2 mil sales, after 4 weeks their second album has 300k sales (not bad for a second album), sell out arena tour, 4 top 10 singles, number 1 and 2 album constantly labelled as a huge boyband ect ect the list goes on (I think every single one of their singles has got over 200k sales, even One Shot which was released after their album was released).

After X Factor you couldn't go anywhere without seeing a JLS hoody, even now I still see them on a regular basis, they got their own show, DVD, books, always on the telly doing shows, gigs, interviews, adverts I could go on forever

But how will 1D do, and will they match up to the bar JLS has set as a boyband from X Factor, how will their albums and singles do, will they pack out tours ect.. I'm genuinely intrigued as to what people think. (I'm also a big JLS fan :D)

You cant really compare 1D and JLS just because they were both on the Xfactor.JLS had been together for 4 yrs BEFORE the show.1D have known each other for 4 months,they formed on the show,they are not experienced.The nearest you can compare 1D with is Girls Aloud and they lasted years.CC always says they took time to gel.For what 1D has acheived in a short space of time is the main indicator of their potential.This forum can slagg them off all they want.Simon is not blind signing them today before they snatch them,they will do better than Matt,he has 17 years of music to win a show and they have 0 years to come third.If you know about correlations,1D have the strongest correlation in the competetion and potential to develop.Matt is at peak with no room for development,even Rebbecca is more likely to grow more than him.
  • ucra girlucra girl Posts: 19,741
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eurostar wrote: »
    I would amazed if 1D outsold JLS : they are not really a group at all,just five solo singers.

They are pretty limited too....okayish vocals but no better,and they can't move or dance.

Dancing lessons?? Er Girls Aloud were 5 girls who auditioned for a TV show:rolleyes:
  • blacksuit42blacksuit42 Posts: 820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They wont
    JLS can harmonise well... 1D can at best sing in a bland unison, what was Louis on about last night praising their harmonies when the most harmonic they got was singing an octave apart because one of the "group"'s balls have dropped
    JLS can dance... 1D Can't
    JLS have chemistry as a group... 1D really don't have any chemistry at all, they're a bunch of apparent soloists who were put together by Simon because they were too crap to go through individually

So yeah... 1D will only be a fad, for the tweens who think Justine bieber is great... so basically the tone deaf 12 year olds of the country
  • Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 80,033
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wilko1978 wrote: »
    No comparison ffs! Overrated direction will not be even a quarter of the success JLS have been.

This (and I'm no JLS fan)
  • BoselectaBoselecta Posts: 1,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure OneD can sell a load of toot like calendars, pillow cases etc and make some money. Can't see them having a recording career like JLS though. I preesume JLS could at some point become a global band but there's no way foreign countries will fall for a buch of miming poppets like OneD.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ucra girl wrote: »
    [/B]

Dancing lessons?? Er Girls Aloud were 5 girls who auditioned for a TV show:rolleyes:

Girls Aloud were far better from the word go than 1D have ever been.Their voices blended well together and at least three of them were strong singers.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40,102
    Forum Member
    As mentioned, they have a shelf life and it's shorter than JLS's. Although JLS are basically a boy band, they're not a kid-band which One Direction have became.

JLS release condoms and I imagine One Direction will release pencil cases :p
  • VolVol Posts: 2,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JLS are better singers and dancers than 1D. I wouldn't be surprised at all if 1D flopped or Liam left the band and tried to make it solo again.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,822
    Forum Member
    As mentioned, they have a shelf life and it's shorter than JLS's. Although JLS are basically a boy band, they're not a kid-band which One Direction have became.

JLS release condoms and I imagine One Direction will release pencil cases :p

I BET VIBRATORS.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ucra girl wrote: »
    You cant really compare 1D and JLS just because they were both on the Xfactor.JLS had been together for 4 yrs BEFORE the show.1D have known each other for 4 months,they formed on the show,they are not experienced.The nearest you can compare 1D with is Girls Aloud and they lasted years.CC always says they took time to gel.For what 1D has acheived in a short space of time is the main indicator of their potential.This forum can slagg them off all they want.Simon is not blind signing them today before they snatch them,they will do better than Matt,he has 17 years of music to win a show and they have 0 years to come third.If you know about correlations,1D have the strongest correlation in the competetion and potential to develop.Matt is at peak with no room for development,even Rebbecca is more likely to grow more than him.

S**t post of the day!! Absolute rubbish.

The five girls in GA were at least voted through by the public as proven solo singers before forming the band, so their talent was obvious. Wand Erection... Not so much.

Besides, their 'deal' is not confirmed yet and I would think that not finishing top 2 in the voting EVER may be a bad indication...

I don't even know what you mean by this:
    If you know about correlations,1D have the strongest correlation in the competetion and potential to develop.Matt is at peak with no room for development,even Rebbecca is more likely to grow more than him.

I am an A-level maths student and I know what correlation is... But it is something that can usually be mathematically measured. What you have said has nothing to do with correlation, they were consistantly s**t te entire way through the competition and showed very little potential to dance or harmonise. Matt has plenty more to give. Not once did they let us see him sing a song he wrote himself, which would showcase his true talent.

With regards the original question: no.
    JLS have a more widespread appeal. I cannot stand them, but they are talented guys. I see Wand going the same way as Justin Bieber in the UK (who isn't particularly successful here): a couple of top 10/20 singles and an album which might sell 200,000-300,000 copies, but nothing spectacular.
  • RodriguezMan267RodriguezMan267 Posts: 28,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well they can't dance or sing so I'll be surprised if they do better
  • stargirl1stargirl1 Posts: 5,573
    Forum Member
    S**t post of the day!! Absolute rubbish.

The five girls in GA were at least voted through by the public as proven solo singers before forming the band, so their talent was obvious. Wand Erection... Not so much.

Besides, their 'deal' is not confirmed yet and I would think that not finishing top 2 in the voting EVER may be a bad indication...

I don't even know what you mean by this:

I am an A-level maths student and I know what correlation is... But it is something that can usually be mathematically measured. What you have said has nothing to do with correlation, they were consistantly s**t te entire way through the competition and showed very little potential to dance or harmonise. Matt has plenty more to give. Not once did they let us see him sing a song he wrote himself, which would showcase his true talent.

With regards the original question: no.
    JLS have a more widespread appeal. I cannot stand them, but they are talented guys. I see Wand going the same way as Justin Bieber in the UK (who isn't particularly successful here): a couple of top 10/20 singles and an album which might sell 200,000-300,000 copies, but nothing spectacular.

If you watch youtube clips of the show, their talent was anything but obvious, with the exception of Nicola and Nadine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p29ZEsIWacw&feature=related

Painful.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stargirl1 wrote: »
    If you watch youtube clips of the show, their talent was anything but obvious, with the exception of Nicola and Nadine.

Sarah was decent enough as well.Cheryl of course was the least talented one of the five.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    personally i find them incredibly bland and lacking in potential, and think JLS are much better. but then i'm not a fan of manufactured groups.

that doesn't mean they won't do well though, manufactured groups are a bit hit and miss so who knows. given the right songs they have potential to succeed i guess.
  • Mona LocaMona Loca Posts: 583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you are a 12 year old, you might think that someone who is in their 20s is too old for you, whereas a 16 year old is ok.

Not really. It's all about perception rather than reality which is why the raised the age range of the "boys" category to accommodate Matt and ensure that he got the support of girls as well as women.

As for JLS, a large part of their fanbase has already moved onto One Direction and, even before that, to The Wanted.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even though One Direction have improved significantly, they're still nowhere near the fantastic harmonisers that JLS are. Even though JLS aren't for me, they are bloody fantastic harmonisers.
  • Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mona Loca wrote: »
    Not really. It's all about perception rather than reality which is why the raised the age range of the "boys" category to accommodate Matt and ensure that he got the support of girls as well as women.

As for JLS, a large part of their fanbase has already moved onto One Direction and, even before that, to The Wanted.

That's a good theory.

I've always thought that they redrew the age boundaries because they were scared of an act from the Overs category winning, as 27 year old Matt was really from that category.

I bet Louis is gutted!!!:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    UAF wrote: »
    personally i find them incredibly bland and lacking in potential, and think JLS are much better. but then i'm not a fan of manufactured groups.

that doesn't mean they won't do well though, manufactured groups are a bit hit and miss so who knows. given the right songs they have potential to succeed i guess.

If 1D had come in off the street as a group and Louis had the groups category,Cowell would be describing them as mediocre.