Options

Terror Suspects Cardiff

Uncle FesterUncle Fester Posts: 15,357
Forum Member
✭✭
At 5.0 am today 5 men were arrested in Cardiff for a possible Terror attack over Christmas , also at two other places 7 more were arrested , they have been watched for some weeks . well done the Security Services

Comments

• Options
    Sniffle774Sniffle774 Posts: 20,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Makes a change for it not to be Luton.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    evamoo wrote: »

We are safe, not that the newspapers would ever tell you that.

Another bunch of people arrested - boring, no doubt they'll be released soon without any charges, just like the thousands of others that are arrested under anti-terrorist laws. :yawn:
  • Options
    kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Control orders = internment. Why aren't there demos about that?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    evamoo wrote: »

I dare say you have more chance of dying in a DIY related accident than in a terrorist attack in the UK so I'd say we are all pretty safe in comparison to other daily risks we all face.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Hmmm, I don't know, this is Al Qaeda in Cardiff we're talking about, they blow up holiday homes.
  • Options
    sutiesutie Posts: 32,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Another bunch of people arrested - boring, no doubt they'll be released soon without any charges, just like the thousands of others that are arrested under anti-terrorist laws. :yawn:

I'd much rather the police arrest thousands more, guilty or not, rather than simply give up.

They have a really hard job to do, and, as was pointed out on yesterday's news, the reason so few of these people are brought to trial, is because it's notoriously difficult to present absolute proof that those avidly checking out shopping malls, airports etc.,and buying fertiliser and radio controlled devices are definitely going to commit acts of terror.

Unfortunately, the absolute proof only comes after they have committed the offence.:(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sutie wrote: »
    I'd much rather the police arrest thousands more, guilty or not, rather than simply give up.

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Furthermore, I don't know what you mean by "give up", give up on what, 'combating terror'? The whole notion of 'terrorism' in the 21st century is completely warped, it barley holds truths anymore.
    sutie wrote:
    They have a really hard job to do, and, as was pointed out on yesterday's news, the reason so few of these people are brought to trial, is because it's notoriously difficult to present absolute proof that those avidly checking out shopping malls, airports etc.,and buying fertiliser and radio controlled devices are definitely going to commit acts of terror.

Unfortunately, the absolute proof only comes after they have committed the offence.:(

Well fortunately, there have only been a handful of terrorist attacks in the last decade or two - most of which were committed by the IRA.

There is no more a terror threat today than there were 20 years ago. There will always be bad people who want to do bad things, that doesn't give the state the right to impede on our civil liberties in the name of petty security notions - nor does it allow them to "sweep arrest" certain ethnic minorities hoping to strike lucky.

You're more likely to die by choking on your own vomit than be bombed to death, so don't let the propaganda cloud your judgment. ;)

The whole 'Global War on Terror' is a charade, ergo the more the public feels like they need to be protected from something, the bigger and more prevalent that something becomes.
  • Options
    colinffcolinff Posts: 245
    Forum Member

Boring? :mad:

Seriously, thank goodness people like you will never know anything that resembles power.

Sorry that the idea of a potential machine gun rampage amongst other things sounds boring.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2010/12/22/bangladeshi-terror-suspects-to-be-charged-within-days-mps-told-115875-22799257/
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2010/dec/21/terrorism-plot-suspects-may-charged
    SEVERAL of the 12 terror suspects alleged to be plotting a Mumbai-style massacre will be charged “in days”, MPs were told yesterday.

Lord Carlile, the Government’s anti-terror powers watchdog, told the Home Affairs Select Committee: “It is very possible people may well be charged and prosecuted ... over the next few days.”

The Bangladeshi 17 to 28-year-olds arrested in Cobridge, Stoke; Riverside, Cardiff, Birmingham and central London on Monday were allegedly planning to bomb tourist spots high-profile buildings and go on a machine gun rampage.

If only 1% of people detained on terror suspicion are charged, that to me is a result. I think the true stats are more like 30%.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    colinff wrote: »
    If only 1% of people detained on terror suspicion are charged, that to me is a result. I think the true stats are more like 30%.

But half of those charged after being arrested under terrorism legislation are not charged with terrorist offences and of that half only half are convicted.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Furthermore, I don't know what you mean by "give up", give up on what, 'combating terror'? The whole notion of 'terrorism' in the 21st century is completely warped, it barley holds truths anymore.

Well fortunately, there have only been a handful of terrorist attacks in the last decade or two - most of which were committed by the IRA.

There is no more a terror threat today than there were 20 years ago. There will always be bad people who want to do bad things, that doesn't give the state the right to impede on our civil liberties in the name of petty security notions - nor does it allow them to "sweep arrest" certain ethnic minorities hoping to strike lucky.

You're more likely to die by choking on your own vomit than be bombed to death, so don't let the propaganda cloud your judgment. ;)

The whole 'Global War on Terror' is a charade, ergo the more the public feels like they need to be protected from something, the bigger and more prevalent that something becomes.

extract from noam chomsky (t.m)
  • Options
    colinffcolinff Posts: 245
    Forum Member
    fredc wrote: »
    But half of those charged after being arrested under terrorism legislation are not charged with terrorist offences and of that half only half are convicted.

Even if its 1 person out of a million, and 1 life is saved, its worth it don't you think?
  • Options
    jassijassi Posts: 7,895
    Forum Member
    Even if its 1 person out of a million, and 1 life is saved, its worth it don't you think?

No.

This 'life saved at any price' approach is unrealistic, otherwise we would be having millions more being spent on road safety.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Is all life so precious? How about the life of an innocent Brazilian running to catch his tube train? Is that life precious too or is that life expendable to keep you safe? What about the lives of innocent women and children in Afghanistan and Pakistan? Are their lives precious or are they expendable to keep you safe too.

How many people do you want to die so you can feel safe?
  • Options
    Cult of Z-ListCult of Z-List Posts: 5,113
    Forum Member

Statistics are fun aren't they.

Right up to the point were your one of 50 odd people on a tube train on 7/7. The day the statistics failed?
  • Options
    Cult of Z-ListCult of Z-List Posts: 5,113
    Forum Member
    Is all life so precious? How about the life of an innocent Brazilian running to catch his tube train? Is that life precious too or is that life expendable to keep you safe? What about the lives of innocent women and children in Afghanistan and Pakistan? Are their lives precious or are they expendable to keep you safe too.

How many people do you want to die so you can feel safe?

From a purely personal point of view ... how many do you have?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Statistics are fun aren't they.

Right up to the point were your on of 50 odd people on a tube train on 7/7. The day the statistics failed?

Not really... What you saw was a spike caused by a clearly defined singular event. How many people died from terrosim in the UK in the last decade ? This is the problem with stats, if you want to make a point, theres a stat for that.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That doesn't always mean they're innocent, evidence might not always be strong enough or allowed to be used, there may be technicalities getting people off.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    That doesn't always mean they're innocent, evidence might not always be strong enough or allowed to be used, there may be technicalities getting people off.

While that may be so, for charges not to be brought indicates that any 'evidence' must be pretty flimsy, possibly even nonexistent.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The police stopped what they saw as a plan to commit mass murder. Doesn't like a charade to me?

To say your more likely to die of something else rather than terrorism means what exactly... what is the purpose of saying it? I'm don't know any media that has reported that you are likely to die of terrorism? Just because the media reports it, doesn't mean it's more likely to happen. It seems that you are falling into the trap of thinking it is?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Youre more likely to get run over by a bus that eaten by a shark - doesnt mean we should all go swimming in shark infested waters.
  • Options
    VennegoorVennegoor Posts: 14,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To the folks who are saying Cardiff is safe, all I'd say is remember what happened at Glasgow Airport.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know the FM's ages here but having lived through the IRA campaigns the differences nowadays is worth noting. Back then the public resolve was to never give in or change our way of life because to do so would have allowed terrorists to win. Life went on, people were concerned but I don't recall the clamour for action every time a threat was discovered.

The idea of giving away our freedoms or limiting the way we lived our lives was never an option. The Police came in for criticism and mistakes were made but unlike now, there didn't seem to be call for constant action/mass arrests and for Government to wrap us all in a protective blanket 'just in case'.

I'm speaking as someone who lost a family member in the bombing of bandsmen in Deal in Kent so not as far removed from incident as some yet even amongst victims families there was a determination that terrorism would not change their way of lives. It seems that now people are crying out for changes in the way we live and the freedoms fought for over the years on a 'just in case' basis. I'm not convinced that is wise and suspect it's just what Governments want in order to curtail some aspects of life/methods of protest.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The police stopped what they saw as a plan to commit mass murder. Doesn't like a charade to me?

To say your more likely to die of something else rather than terrorism means what exactly... what is the purpose of saying it? I'm don't know any media that has reported that you are likely to die of terrorism? Just because the media reports it, doesn't mean it's more likely to happen. It seems that you are falling into the trap of thinking it is?

We don't know that for certain. We only have the authorities word that this was so.

In my opinion, if there was a genuine terror plot, then we probably shouldn't hear about it at all until the perpertrators are actually up in court.
  • Options
    GraathusGraathus Posts: 3,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Err yes it does mean they are innocent.

But expecting a court to decide on guilt and innocence is stupid when people on the internet can reckon something with no grasp of the facts.