Eggy bread

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
Forum Member
is this nice ?

i saw a programme or maybe it was just an advert and they did eggy bread..smashed the egg into frying pan and flipped the bread one side, then on other side.it looked nice, don't think i ever tried it

Comments

• maggie thecatmaggie thecat Posts: 2,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eggy bread is French toast, yes? I.e. you beat two eggs with a pint of milk, and then depending on your inclination, add a teasp of vanilla and some sugar, or don't, then soak slices of bread in it and pan fry until golden. Serve with jam, maple sugar or in some places, (gulp) catsup.

In which case, yep. Good stuff. My favourite variation is the one where you make sandwiches with marmalade and cream cheese and soak them in the custard mix overnight before baking in a moderate oven. Yum.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think of it as French Toast but just use eggs & a bit of milk, a deleuxe fried bread to have bacon on ;)
  • Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,923
    Forum Member
    Yes it's eggy bread OP, though it is also called 'french toast' by the lower middle classes!

I'm not keen on it personally - it looks and sounds better than it is.
  • venusinflaresvenusinflares Posts: 4,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love eggy bread, but I just dip the bread in beaten egg and fry it in the frying pan until golden.

Lovely!
  • nessyfencernessyfencer Posts: 9,195
    Forum Member
    You've never had eggy bread? Oh dear :(

Go have it now. Right now. Drop whatever you are doing and go eat some.

Whip up the eggs nice and airy, add some seasoning, dip the bread and drop into a hot pan with a little oil. Turn after a couple of minutes and have with brown sauce.
  • ChoccyCaroleChoccyCarole Posts: 8,867
    Forum Member
    I saw that advert last week Orangemaid
    It was a great advert - where the girl student ? was making it in a sort of slap dash way
    then >>>>>>> took it to the table to eat while she chatted on the phone to a parent - to assure them she was eating OK
    It did look very nice - all sizzley hot and crispy edged and golden

I have tried it years ago - but would prefer a real soft yolked egg - to enjoy on toast or a sandwich
  • dosanjh1dosanjh1 Posts: 8,727
    Forum Member
    Eggy bread is French toast, yes? I.e. you beat two eggs with a pint of milk, and then depending on your inclination, add a teasp of vanilla and some sugar, or don't, then soak slices of bread in it and pan fry until golden. Serve with jam, maple sugar or in some places, (gulp) catsup.

In which case, yep. Good stuff. My favourite variation is the one where you make sandwiches with marmalade and cream cheese and soak them in the custard mix overnight before baking in a moderate oven. Yum.

A pint! Wow.

I leave out the milk all together and prefer savoury to sweet.

Onions, garlic and chilies.
  • farmer bobfarmer bob Posts: 27,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Food of the Gods, French toast with a little HP sauce for dipping.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dosanjh1 wrote: »
    A pint! Wow.

I leave out the milk all together and prefer savoury to sweet.

Onions, garlic and chilies.

Depending on how thick the bread is you get 4-6 well dipped slices that way.

In the US, French toast is always sweet. Typical toppings are maple syrup, jam or powdered sugar.

Learning there was a version served with tomato or brown sauce was an eyebrow raiser.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    In the US, French toast is always sweet.
    Not from the shows I watch.
  • dosanjh1dosanjh1 Posts: 8,727
    Forum Member
    Depending on how thick the bread is you get 4-6 well dipped slices that way.

In the US, French toast is always sweet. Typical toppings are maple syrup, jam or powdered sugar.

Learning there was a version served with tomato or brown sauce was an eyebrow raiser.

This was the version served to me by a busy mum when I was little, it brings back some nostalgia. :) Thankfully my pallet has become a little more sophisticated since :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Not from the shows I watch.

Yeah, well, I was just born, raised and lived my whole life here. What do I know. ::eye roll:: Seriously though, while we have regional variations up the wazoo, I would be stunned and amazed to be served savory French toast. I am curious to know of these shows you watch.
  • munkyfellovermunkyfellover Posts: 2,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Used to have it with a full English, it's always sweet here.
  • finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had a mate who mashed a boiled egg up and smeared it on a slice of bread. He called this "eggy bread". Yeah right it is.
  • elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    I use slightly stale brioche bread, egg, milk, vanilla extract, cinnamon then serve with some maple syrup and some fruit compote for a sweet version.
  • ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    finbaar wrote: »
    I had a mate who mashed a boiled egg up and smeared it on a slice of bread. He called this "eggy bread". Yeah right it is.

My dad used to cube a slice of bread and mix in a very soft boiled egg for "eggy bread".
    We called the fried version "Gypsy toast" though some of our extended family did know it as French toast.
    I've not had french toast since my childhood - looks like I'm going to have to have a trip down nostalgia street soon!:)
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    I prefer "Cheese Dreams"
  • chopsimchopsim Posts: 3,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Try eggy bread but with crumpets. Fantastic.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Yeah, well, I was just born, raised and lived my whole life here. What do I know. ::eye roll:: Seriously though, while we have regional variations up the wazoo, I would be stunned and amazed to be served savory French toast. I am curious to know of these shows you watch.
    Diners, Drive Ins and Dives for one.
    You Gotta Eat Here (Canadian but similar cuisines/establisments)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    have had fried bread when i was younger with fried breakfast or a mix grill..will have to try eggy bread next
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Diners, Drive Ins and Dives for one.
    You Gotta Eat Here (Canadian but similar cuisines/establisments)

I wouldn't be at all surprised to find savory French toast in Canada because of how culturally aligned they still are with the UK. If it's starting to pop up here it's because it's an import. Google tells me a couple of food network type celebrity chefs have recipes, but it's not part of our culinary tradition (such as it is.) No self respecting Denny's or IHOP would have it on the menu.
  • Maggie_MooMaggie_Moo Posts: 461
    Forum Member
    The tastiest way is, bread dipped in egg and cooked in a hot chip fryer. Is absolutely delicious. Sprinkle with sugar, or go with a savoury topping. Mmmmmmmm
  • PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am a recent convert to eggy bread. By work colleague used to make it, and one Saturday I was home alone and decided to have a go. I just use eggs, a little milk and lashings of ground pepper. Fry until golden. Delicious.
  • Watcher #1Watcher #1 Posts: 9,040
    Forum Member
    Love eggy bread/french toast as a quick weekend breakfast. But it has to be savoury. Eggs, splash of milk, salt, pepper.

First time I ordered it in the US and it came dusted with icing sugar, it gave me the boak, and I couldn't eat anything else.
  • SuzeSuze Posts: 879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't be at all surprised to find savory French toast in Canada because of how culturally aligned they still are with the UK. If it's starting to pop up here it's because it's an import. Google tells me a couple of food network type celebrity chefs have recipes, but it's not part of our culinary tradition (such as it is.) No self respecting Denny's or IHOP would have it on the menu.

Canadians (I'm one!) are pretty much sweet french toast eaters as well. Savoury ones would be considered a 'new trend' if you found it in a diner. Mostly they are on the 'pancakes and waffles' side of breakfast. Served with syrup (mostly) or berries (posh version) with some yummy bacon on the side.

A quick google brings up tons of sweet recipes and one or two savoury ones -- as you say from Food Network chefs looking for something new to present.