Adele song writer of the year - are you having a laugh?

markmc2k5markmc2k5 Posts: 3,561
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://www.bbc.co.uk/mobile/ents/top_stories/story18107224.shtml

Surely there is something seriously wrong with this award now? While I don't don't Adele is a 'decent' songwriter as far as I'm aware lots of co-writers helps progress her work. I doubt this award is for a group effort.

Comments

• iseloidiseloid Posts: 9,392
    Forum Member
    Of course it is. But I think they helped her compose the song rather than write it lyrically. And what she won for is well deserved.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not as objectionable as Take That winning the Outstanding Contribution Award (just no) or Ed Sheeran winning 'Best Song Musically and Lyrically' for The A Team (he does have some good songs but The A Team is not one of them).
  • iseloidiseloid Posts: 9,392
    Forum Member
    lumiere wrote: »
    It's not as objectionable as Take That winning the Outstanding Contribution Award (just no) or Ed Sheeran winning 'Best Song Musically and Lyrically' for The A Team (he does have some good songs but The A Team is not one of them).

That last bit shocked me, I get it lyrically, but RITD is so superior musically. Take THAT? WHa?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another award that now has lost any credability, if it had any to start with.
    To win any songwriting award you have to write your own songs not have an army of professional songwriters write them for you. But these days even dotting a "i" and crossing a "t" will win you a british songwriting award.
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It seems these days, writing about the same thing over and over again makes you a brilliant songwriter.

First Taylor Swift with her ridiculously boring love and heartbreak songs, and now Adele with her bitter and slightly obsessive break-up ballads, most of which she didn't write on her own...the best songwriters are the ones who can cover a range of styles and still make it work. Ester Dean is one.
  • EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just lazy. Awarded by people who can't be arsed to look outside the top 20 for decent songwriting.
  • yellowlabbieyellowlabbie Posts: 59,081
    Forum Member
    Well done to Adele, richly deserved.
  • sparkle22sparkle22 Posts: 1,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember when the spice girls won and gary barlow said it cheapened the award lily allen also won one I think she also has co-writers it's makes a mokery really when you've got the likes of phil collins and annie lennox who can write songs.
    It's like beyonce and mariah I know they co-write their own songs mariah in particular is very hands on however i'd like to see these people write a song all by themselves lyrics and melody just something I feel strongly about as a songwriter myself.
  • m06een00m06een00 Posts: 2,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suppose they had to award Adele with something as it would have looked like a snub otherwise.. And since the other top categories had already been decided they shoehorned her into best songwriter category which was still vacant, thereby ticking the box. But as she only co-wrote the songs it does make the Ivor Novellos look a bit of a charade. There were one or two strange choices for winners this year. Did Take That really deserve their award?
  • Mr PerksMr Perks Posts: 1,159
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't understand how P.J.Harvey can win the Album Novello award for the staggeringly brilliant Let England Shake but those songs are not enough for her to win the awartd for songwriting as well.
  • sparkle22sparkle22 Posts: 1,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it's a popularity contest these days.
  • yellowlabbieyellowlabbie Posts: 59,081
    Forum Member
    I just love that when I google 'Ivor Novello Awards', it's Adele's picture that is shown.
  • m06een00m06een00 Posts: 2,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr Perks wrote: »
    I don't understand how P.J.Harvey can win the Album Novello award for the staggeringly brilliant Let England Shake but those songs are not enough for her to win the awartd for songwriting as well.
    Because she's relatively unknown and hasn't had any hit singles afaik, which I'm afraid is considered important for award recognition.. But I'm glad she won the best album category. She should have got a Grammy for that, not Adele.
  • Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    m06een00 wrote: »
    I suppose they had to award Adele with something as it would have looked like a snub otherwise.. And since the other top categories had already been decided they shoehorned her into best songwriter category which was still vacant, thereby ticking the box. But as she only co-wrote the songs it does make the Ivor Novellos look a bit of a charade. There were one or two strange choices for winners this year. Did Take That really deserve their award?

They didn't have to award her anything you could say the same of Pj Harvey who has won the more serious awards all year with england stop being so cynical perhaps they thought she deserved it.
  • flyonthetableflyonthetable Posts: 170
    Forum Member
    How would anyone dare to laugh? :) All of the winners deserve their awards in these kind of professional voted award ceremonies! Adele wrote about 60% of the lyrics for this album (if you count all songs together) and about 80% for her first album 19, that's what she said herself in one interview! She also said that she won't ever write another break-up song again, and that she'll do as much as possible by herself for her next album (it'll be released circa 2014 I think).
  • robo2robo2 Posts: 1,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To win any songwriting award you have to write your own songs not have an army of professional songwriters write them for you. But these days even dotting a "i" and crossing a "t" will win you a british songwriting award.

good to see you raging again, the critical acclaim and commercial success keeps rolling in for adele :D
  • RaptureRiderRaptureRider Posts: 1,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Adele accepted the award with her co-writer Paul Epworth and gave him credit.

Most of the songs on "21" are written by Adele and one other person. She also wrote 6 of the 12 tracks on "19" on her own, teamed up with one other songwriter on 4 tracks, leaving the one track with five writers and a cover. If I'm not mistaken, Taylor Swift wrote about half of her debut album and second album with one or more other writers yet you're giving Adele a hard time for writing with someone on hers. I wouldn't really criticise another artist for doing something that your favourite has also done twice in her career. At least Adele wrote a track like "Hometown Glory" on her own and managed to not have it sound like a diary entry of a 12 year old nerd who still believes in fairy tales.

But then Taylor Swift is never exactly going to win any renowned songwriting awards with:

That you were Romeo, you were throwing pebbles,
    And my daddy said, "Stay away from Juliet"
    And I was crying on the staircase
    Begging you, "Please don't go"
    And I said...

or

She's not a saint
    And she's not what you think
    She's an actress, whoa
    She's better known
    For the things that she does
    On the mattress, whoa
    Soon she's gonna find
    Stealing other people's toys
    On the playground won't
    Make you many friends
    She should keep in mind
    She should keep in mind
    There is nothing I do better than revenge

*swiftly swallows vomit*
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    robo2 wrote: »
    good to see you raging again, the critical acclaim and commercial success keeps rolling in for adele :D

And another award that has been proven to be totally worthless now, like many awards they are down valued due to the people that receive them, no bigger example of that here. If they wanted to give out an award then it should have been given to her army of songwriters, but as someone else stated, they had to fit her in somewhere, pretty lame really.
  • shadesofblackshadesofblack Posts: 1,965
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Adele accepted the award with her co-writer Paul Epworth and gave him credit.

Most of the songs on "21" are written by Adele and one other person. She also wrote 6 of the 12 tracks on "19" on her own, teamed up with one other songwriter on 4 tracks, leaving the one track with five writers and a cover. If I'm not mistaken, Taylor Swift wrote about half of her debut album and second album with one or more other writers yet you're giving Adele a hard time for writing with someone on hers. I wouldn't really criticise another artist for doing something that your favourite has also done twice in her career. At least Adele wrote a track like "Hometown Glory" on her own and managed to not have it sound like a diary entry of a 12 year old nerd who still believes in fairy tales.

But then Taylor Swift is never exactly going to win any renowned songwriting awards with:

That you were Romeo, you were throwing pebbles,
    And my daddy said, "Stay away from Juliet"
    And I was crying on the staircase
    Begging you, "Please don't go"
    And I said...

or

She's not a saint
    And she's not what you think
    She's an actress, whoa
    She's better known
    For the things that she does
    On the mattress, whoa
    Soon she's gonna find
    Stealing other people's toys
    On the playground won't
    Make you many friends
    She should keep in mind
    She should keep in mind
    There is nothing I do better than revenge

*swiftly swallows vomit*

Well said! And did you notice how GL completely ignores that Taylor Swift uses co-writers in her very next post?! That is hilarious! Cause admitting that would make her look like a complete fool and ass rolled up as one huge hypocrite.
  • shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And another award that has been proven to be totally worthless now, like many awards they are down valued due to the people that receive them, no bigger example of that here. If they wanted to give out an award then it should have been given to her army of songwriters, but as someone else stated, they had to fit her in somewhere, pretty lame really.

Take your hate somewhere else. Its getting boring now.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 447
    Forum Member
    Why is everyone assuming adele co-wrote because she's musically incapable of writing by herself? We don't know what goes on in the studio or how much she contributes, but it's her album with her name on the cover and obviously all the people who bought it think its a good album so I don't understand the problem with that being recognized by a songwriting award :confused:

A big part of music is collaboration so why are people being so uptight about it, at least she contributes! I've seen comments calling the show a popularity contest but if she hadn't won anything people would have called it pretentious and a "credibility" contest. I know not everyone is going to agree with every award given out but that album connected with a lot of people and for me personally, THAT is what songwriting is really about and so it should be recognized.
  • 21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,506
    Forum Member
    Adele is a talented songwriter, and yes, she has co-writers but they acknowledge her ability as a songwriter.
  • konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    She wrote (completely unaided) Hometown Glory at age 16 so I really don't think there is any question that she is an unbelievably talented songwriter. She's just lucky in that she's also an unbelievably talented singer as well, lol. The full package, in other words. Rare as rocking horse droppings...
  • my name is joemy name is joe Posts: 4,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why is everyone assuming adele co-wrote because she's musically incapable of writing by herself? We don't know what goes on in the studio or how much she contributes, but it's her album with her name on the cover and obviously all the people who bought it think its a good album so I don't understand the problem with that being recognized by a songwriting award :confused:

A big part of music is collaboration so why are people being so uptight about it, at least she contributes! I've seen comments calling the show a popularity contest but if she hadn't won anything people would have called it pretentious and a "credibility" contest. I know not everyone is going to agree with every award given out but that album connected with a lot of people and for me personally, THAT is what songwriting is really about and so it should be recognized.

exactly! it doesn't matter if you don't write all the parts, she's being acknowledged for the excellence of her contribution. it's like saying Lennon/McCartney, Marr/Morrissey, Strummer/Jones (name your own fave combo) aren't good songwriters cos a lot of their best work was a collaboration....that's how music gets made

And ive had enough of Adele threads now, they all end up the same so i'll leave it there:p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's turned into another Adele vs taylor Swift thread

What joy !