My furry baby is becoming very clingy

foxes_pawfoxes_paw Posts: 97
Forum Member
At the risk of boring you all to tears,
this is the subject of my total affection as it is only she and I in the house.

As much as I love her to death , the past few weeks, she is literally smothering me with affection - not that I am complaining - but it is getting to the point that whenever I move to the kitchen, she follow and paws me (despite having a full belly). I walk upstairs, and she trots up after me, I open the door to go outside and she's behind me. I go on the pc and she either is jumping on my knees, or tries to have her own 'go' on the keyboard. I even go to the loo, and sitting there doing the business and up she comes, paws outstretched to get picked up and cuddled then purrs her little heart out. She's even taken recently to 'washing my clothes' - ie licking them to death !!

Nothing unusual has happened to her, her best pal cat comes in to visit and plays with her, and when she seems him outside, she cannot get out quick enough to go join him in play time. I also spend a lot of time playing with her and her feathery stick play toy which she adores.

Is this just a phase she is going through? She sleeps with me and never moves from the bed until I wake (even when I am having a long lie in). Dont' get me wrong, it's lovely the affection, but it seems outwith her normal behaviour. Any cat experts on here that can help explain what's going on?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 206
    Forum Member
    Has she been spayed?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 206
    Forum Member
    Also, how old is she?
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    My cat did this as a kitten. The older she got,the less interested she became.
  • foxes_pawfoxes_paw Posts: 97
    Forum Member
    I got her from the Cat's Actions Trust last January - we reckoned she was about 8 months old then. She was neutered before I got her. She's never been what I can term as a 'lap cat', but she does love attention - soon as I return from work, she runs to greet me, tryies to claw up me till I pick her up, give her big cuddles and kisses. But it's constant now, like she hates not being in the same room as where I am at all. She's still a really happy wee cat as far as I can see, still has her mental half hours etc.

Even when I went on holiday last year, the cattery owner took her into her house for a few nights (she apparently had a real soft spot for ginger cats, and she is a 'tiny' cat though the pics don't really show her being so small built), but even the cattery owner said, "She really loves her cuddles and hugs doesn't she". I did feel all smushy inside when she told me that they took her into their house where she laid basking in front of their fire though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 140
    Forum Member
    Aww bless, she is absolutely gorgeous!! :)

I've heard of them being rather clingy when in Heat, which isn't it the season now or just gone? Recently our kitteh was been quite clingy which was a bit odd for her cause she usually likes to keep herself to herself most of the time, though not clingy to the extent of your girl though I guess it depends on loads of stuff. How often you are around each other etc....

Sorry I can't be of more help!
  • yorkiegalyorkiegal Posts: 18,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had a cat like that once. She even followed me to the toilet, and when I had a bath she had to sit on the side and watch me.

I do miss her now that I have a very independent kitty who prefers to be alone much of the time.
  • FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member
    Does she have access to outdoors while you are out? Maybe she needs more company.
  • Flubber.Flubber. Posts: 2,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you got the vet record showing she's been spayed or did the cat rescue just tell you she was?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 54
    Forum Member
    i have two cats now. one of them is a female cat about 2 yrs old who mostly keeps herself to herself unless she either wants to play or get warm. However my other cat who is male and i think over 10 yrs old totally adores my dad. he can sleep somewhere all day and not bother anyone but as soon as my dad comes in he runs up to him meowing and purring and wanting a cuddle. then he wont leave him alone all night till we lock them in the dining room with access to the catflap at night (coz they have a habit of howling outisde the bedroom door at 6am to wake us up.). But we got him from a cattery and the women said he had had quite a traumatic time as he lived breifly with a jack russel. so maybe my cat is just pychologically scarred. But maybe ur cat just needs some other feline company.
  • foxes_pawfoxes_paw Posts: 97
    Forum Member
    Fizzbin wrote: »
    Does she have access to outdoors while you are out? Maybe she needs more company.

She has access to outdoors 24/7 whether I'm in or not (as does her little friend who comes in to visit!!). I have wondered about getting a kitten as a little companion for her but with the exception of this 'one' friendly cat that she adores, she spits and hisses at any other cat that comes near the garden /house, Small she may be but she's not scared *even when she's been duffed up*:eek:
    Flubber. wrote: »
    Have you got the vet record showing she's been spayed or did the cat rescue just tell you she was?

She's definately been spayed, I had to get the vet to change the previous name she'd been given.

Guess I am hoping that come the milder (and dare I say it, warmer) weather comes, that she'll be out and about more than she has been over winter. The one thing she loathes is the cold and the wet. I am wondering if she's getting a bit bored?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with others who have said it's likely that she craves your company as you are the provider of all things good in her life. You feed her, cuddle her, play with her etc. if you are at work or out most of the day she probably sleeps then & really looks forward to your company when you get home.

I have a relatively clingy cat & it's been more pronounced with the winter weather. Cats don't like cold as they evolved to live in warm climates so in our winters they generally stay indoors more. But they still have the same drive to practice predatory skills so they'll use whatever is available ~ usually owners or other cats. However in the last few days with the milder weather my clingy cat has been out & about a lot more, watching birds, climbing trees etc. When she comes home it's usually to sleep & eat.

Perhaps with the spring coming your little cat will be more interested in going out. Try playing with her in the garden, show the fun she can have chasing sticks, leaves, beetles etc.