Options

Fishkeepers advice sought re fungus & methelyn blue...

RubusRooRubusRoo Posts: 10,262
Forum Member
✭✭
Any fishkeepers here used this before?

I read the instructions about 20 * to make certain I used the correct dose.

I have no carbon in the filter (Fluval U1) & so I'm wondering how long before I wait to do a partial water change? The water is an alarming blue colour. I used 5ml for the tank (which is approx 25 litres usuable water volume)

I'm treating a blackmoor for a small fungal infection on his fin in a 30L quarantine tank. I added aquarium salt also (2 grams per litre) & turned down the heater to 18C (as low as it goes) It's usually only on 20C to maintain room temp.

Many thanks if you can help at all.

Comments

• Options
    boozer3boozer3 Posts: 2,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Depends on what brand of med. The one I used required doses on days 1, 3 and 7 or something like that. I would do a change before adding the next dose. Though this was for white spot.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's Interpet Methelyne Blue.

How "blue" does your tankwater go when you use it?

Many thanks for your response boozer
  • Options
    boozer3boozer3 Posts: 2,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh very blue. I'm sure I have used that one too, I just cannot remember. I personally would do a partial water change before each does as you don't want it building up in the aquarium, this would be really dodgy. A quick Google on Methylene Blue, not just Interpets, suggest a water change after 3 days. Medications can reduce oxygen levels in the tank, so if your fish are gasping add an air stone, if you haven't already.

I might add a blackmoor to my goldie tank.
  • Options
    xdowxdow Posts: 2,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i wouldn't worry too much about the blue colour, my tropical tank is still blue - just from water conditioner.

follow the instructions on your bottle for however much it says to add, add and air stone for oxygenation and to a weekly/twice weekly water change, whilst treating.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks so much for your answers.

He's still perfectly fine thank god. I don't want to lose this chap as he's huge & I swapped him for 4 Orfes. I put a small 3" airstone in when I put him into the tank as fantails seem to love bubbles :D

Hope it clears up soon so I can put him into my community tank.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    they do love bubbles, wish i could add an extra stone to my tank for the couple of fancies i have, might make my moor a bit more active, very lazy fish :p

hope yours is better soon :) moors are gorgeous.

mine's panda-ing at the moment & slowly turning gold from the bottom up
    i bought one a few years ago that was a panda like this, by the end of the three years i had him, he was completely gold (and absolutely beautiful)
    my other fish went through a nasty streak & nipped at him though, by the time i could get him out of there fungus had set in & it was too late :(
    stupid college.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    xdow, I wanted to use malachite green to treat the fungus, but I couldn't source any locally.

Can I ask...

The instructions for the meth blue are pretty poor. Do I need to keep dosing the tank or should one treatment be enough do you think?

It's only a very small patch of fungus (see here) but the tank he came from was pretty infested with it :( That's kinda why I got him as she wasn't looking after them properly.

The fungus appears to go right through his tail & I can almost see daylight through it, like it's a hole :mad:

Here he is in the quarantine tank before I noticed the fungus & commenced treatment.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i've never used methylene blue before myself to treat anything (i bought a bottle of tetra goldmed 2 years ago for white spot & touch wood, haven't had any problems since)

the goldmed though, once a week (or after 3 days for some things) you have to do a 20% water change and treat the tank, then do the same a week/3 days later, treating again at the same strength

i have a friend that uses meth blue though, so i'll ask her about it today at college for you and post back, or someone a bit more up on the product can probably fill you in in my absence

there are places that say to drip the treatment directly onto the affected area to kick start the action. but i cant remember where i've seen it, and tbh it would really stress the fish, i think
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, the PFK editor suggested getting some povidone-iodine & applying it directly to the site of the fungus then treating the tank water with malachite green.

I appreciate your input, many thanks :)