Options

Just had a firework thrown through my letterbox

Comments

• Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    You know, when I was little, I used to go out on Halloween and Bonfire Night with my brother and his mates to get up to mischief. If what we did then was done now, they'd probably have armed police and a helicopter out.

There used to be bangers through letterboxes, we'd sellotape airbombs to the tops of walls and light them when people came into range, and we used to make rocket launchers out of metal pipes and wood in order to shoot screamers at our local 'rivals'. At one point during any given evening, our road would be whizzing with rockets flying horizontally - I remember my brother getting hit in the face once!

It didn't really seem that abnormal at the time, but thinking back, it must've looked like a war zone! Amazingly, the Police were never called - the people who didn't want you anywhere near their hosues used to stand outside with a cricket bat.

Ah those were the days. We were in a very middle class area in Wales too.

I woud've had the hose pipe on you.
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    OK Then!!! wrote: »
    I resent the implication by others that all of us being attacked live in 'rough' areas. My neighbourhood is of a high moral code and one of high and middle income earners. The nearest council estate is some miles away.
    What a bizarre comment. I live on a council estate on what could be described by some as a 'rough' area - and lots of us here, myself included, also have 'high moral codes'.

None of us where I live have had fireworks through our letterboxes, strangely enough.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    BomoLad wrote: »
    So that's two of us then.
    Make that three.............
  • Options
    Mad Dog123Mad Dog123 Posts: 40
    Forum Member
    fruity60d wrote: »
    I live in a nice middle class suburban town, not some shithole thank you very much. We don't have that carry on around here.

So do I, haven't had any problems tonight :cool:
  • Options
    BomoLadBomoLad Posts: 17,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What a bizarre comment. I live on a council estate on what could be described by some as a 'rough' area - and lots of us here, myself included, also have 'high moral codes'.

None of us where I live have had fireworks through our letterboxes either.

Neither did the OP, let's be honest here.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Neither did the OP, let's be honest here.
    :D:D:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hate Bonfire Night for this reason. I got a firework thrown at me when I was about 6. Luckily, it didn't hit me, but I now have phobias of fireworks, loud noises and things coming really fast towards me.

Ring the police, or if you know the chavs, have WORDS with their parents.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Okay let's play along....

OP, what kind of residence do you live in. An apartment, a terraced house, semi-detached...what?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Okay let's play along....

OP, what kind of residence do you live in. An apartment, a terraced house, semi-detached...what?
    Well, it has a lawn for a start, so it must be at least a small manor house, if not a full stately home.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, it has a lawn for a start, so it must be at least a small manor house, if not a full stately home.

Ooooh. A lawn. Council estates don't have lawns. If they did I imagine they'd have tyres on them. Not that I or the OP has anything against council estates.
  • Options
    Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I woud've had the hose pipe on you.

Hmm that might've initiated a revenge mission though.

Even seen a banger reinforced with duct tape fired from a black widow? Now they BANG.
  • Options
    PretzelPretzel Posts: 7,858
    Forum Member

That would explain why the villains hadn't left the grounds after putting the firework through the letterbox and were then able to pelt them with the eggs some minutes later. Or, was that a different set of yobs? Blimey, how unlucky can you get?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What I'm more impressed with is that whilst the firework was blazing after being posted through the letter box, they all decided it was safe enough to walk right by it, out of the front door, to go stand on the lawn.

Not the back garden, presumably at the other side of the house, oh no. They're British. They marched right by that firework within an inch of it to show solidarity out front.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    What I'm more impressed with is that whilst the firework was blazing after being posted through the letter box, they all decided it was safe enough to walk right by it, out of the front door, to go stand on the lawn.

Not the back garden, presumably at the other side of the house, oh no. They're British. They marched right by that firework within an inch of it to show solidarity out front.
    Thats what I wondered. :D
  • Options
    OK Then!!!OK Then!!! Posts: 4,614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For someone who has almost 6 years of service with Digital Spy- to recieve this kind of abuse and mockery is disgusting. Im not replying about this incident anymore.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For someone who has almost 6 years of service with Digital Spy- to recieve this kind of abuse and mockery is disgusting. Im not replying about this incident anymore.

It's funny how this has seemingly bothered you than the firework, setting fire to your property and endangering your family has.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm wondering how someone who's posted for amost 6 years could come up with such tosh and think anyone would believe it!
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What's so difficult to believe? That kids put fireworks in letter boxes before legging it or that they throw eggs at houses?
  • Options
    Mad Dog123Mad Dog123 Posts: 40
    Forum Member
    Thank God I live in peaceful middle class town than some inner city crime infested hell hole.

This is what happens when you give free benefit handouts to people for 13 years. Once you cut them then they throw their dummies out of their prams and cry that the government isn't helping them. So they resort to petty crime.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm wondering how someone who's posted for amost 6 years could come up with such tosh and think anyone would believe it!

I ALMOST believed it up until the standing on the lawn getting egged, part.

The problem with people who invent tales is that they never know when to stop.
  • Options
    irishguyirishguy Posts: 22,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What's so difficult to believe? That kids put fireworks in letter boxes before legging it or that they throw eggs at houses?

Its just a very bizarre response to someone trying to burn your house down that I've heard of....

No point in calling the police as they'd just give them all game consoles??? :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Both of those events happen and are very believable.

The way the OP tells the story, bringing snobbery into the tale and refusing advice to inform the police of a possible arson attack, is not believable.
  • Options
    PretzelPretzel Posts: 7,858
    Forum Member
    It's funny how this has seemingly bothered you than the firework, setting fire to your property and endangering your family has.

Don't you know that this person lives in an 'neighbourhood of high moral code'*, I doubt that someone who tells porkies is even allowed to walk through it, never mind living there.

Shame on you for doubting their integrity.

*Although, quite how the firework wielding hoodlums got in is a mystery.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Well:

1) why the police weren't called
    2) why the fire brigade weren't called
    3) why they walked near and by the firework to walk outside of the front door to stand on the lawn, when presumably it would have been easier/safer to go in the back garden
    4) why were the yobs outside reserving their egg throwing until they emerged? Surely you wouldn't expect to post a firework in someones letter box only for the whole family to emerge outside that same front door moments later, would you?

There may be others...
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    Hmm that might've initiated a revenge mission though.

Even seen a banger reinforced with duct tape fired from a black widow? Now they BANG.

Then I would've counter-attacked. And it would've been nasty.