Options

Embarrassing Fat Bodies.

Comments

• Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,965
    Forum Member
    Styles wrote: »
    Its a disgrace that these people have so little self control, the pressure they put on the NHS which is totally avoidable if they were not so greedy and lazy is shocking.

It's an addiction. The usual way to treat an addiction is to stop doing it completely. Alas, you can't do that with food.
  • Options
    Brain DonorBrain Donor Posts: 1,685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's an addiction. The usual way to treat an addiction is to stop doing it completely. Alas, you can't do that with food.

^ that ^

There are more reasons people overeat than just being "greedy" - usually linked to depression and low self esteem. I know looking in the mirror at yourself huge should make you want to do something about it but the only thing you can do at that moment of lowness is fill yourself up with whatever is available to fill that empty emotional pit inside yourself. And then you look in the mirror and feel bad so you eat, and then you look in the mirror and... It's a vicious circle that is extremely difficult to break.
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its a disgrace that these people have so little self control, the pressure they put on the NHS which is totally avoidable if they were not so greedy and lazy is shocking.

It IS totally avoidable you're right. I don't think many people recognise the words "self control" anymore.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    It IS totally avoidable you're right. I don't think many people recognise the words "self control" anymore.

It's not totally avoidable at all, stop talking nonsense.
  • Options
    StylesStyles Posts: 714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A quarter of the UK population are obese, people cannot say a quarter of the population are depressed or its their genes, they just have no self control, are lazy and greedy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A quarter of the UK population are obese, people cannot say a quarter of the population are depressed or its their genes, they just have no self control, are lazy and greedy.

Did I say that was the only reason?
  • Options
    teresagreenteresagreen Posts: 16,444
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I used to think that, but now I think some people are just greedy and when it comes to crunch time, they expect someone or something to do all the work for them to get the weight off., hence all the ops that woman has had, and I still don't think it will work this time because if other people keep bailing her out, she is not going to use any self-control. Why should she?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I don't agree with you about food being an addiction. But I'll go along with you for now and we'll call it an "addiction" for the sake of discussion. Addictions can be beaten you know. Thousands of people out there have conquered their addictions with nicotine, booze, gambling etc. I've done the nicotine one myself.:) and I've also lost the weight I gained when I quit plus some more. Losing weight is nowhere near as hard as quitting smoking I can tell you.

Fat people always try to play the "poor old me, I have to eat" card. There are zillions of things you can eat without piling on the weight ..... lean meat, eggs, fruit, veg, salad stuff, etc. but they choose instead to eat sugary food, junk food and other rubbish.

It takes a bit of willpower and self-control NOT to even buy the stuff which you know makes you pile the weight on but you soon get used to it. If it's not in the house you won't eat it, it's as simple as that.

While you keep telling yourself that you are "addicted" to food and that you can't cut food out completely (which nobody is expecting you to) you will never lose an ounce.

Sportsmen, dancers, singers, people with allergies, people with diabetes etc all have to make choices about what foods they can eat and what they have to avoid and they manage so why can't people with a weight problem just apply some self-control and do the same.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to think that, but now I think some people are just greedy and when it comes to crunch time, they expect someone or something to do all the work for them to get the weight off., hence all the ops that woman has had, and I still don't think it will work this time because if other people keep bailing her out, she is not going to use any self-control. Why should she?

You're right. Some people are very greedy indeed, although it's not a word we hear too much these days.

They do also expect other people to do the work for them, hence the massive increase in weight loss surgery and as the consultant said on Weight Loss Ward "they are not prepared to take responsibility for their own health so we have to do it."
  • Options
    LesterForbesLesterForbes Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    eewww can't watch this show, it's putting me off my McDonalds
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You're right. Some people are very greedy indeed, although it's not a word we hear too much these days.

They do also expect other people to do the work for them, hence the massive increase in weight loss surgery and as the consultant said on Weight Loss Ward "they are not prepared to take responsibility for their own health so we have to do it."

I must have missed that bit, but he has obviously had a lot of experience in that field so he knows what he is talking about.
    Most people when they put weight on, make excuses but try and do something about it, but the excuse about food addictions is getting ridiculous now. It really irritates me that the NHS has to spend so much money on greedy people when there are genuinely poorly people waiting for operations they can't have because of the cost. It's time we stopped saying some people have food addictions; in old-fashioned words they are greedy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't agree with you about food being an addiction. But I'll go along with you for now and we'll call it an "addiction" for the sake of discussion. Addictions can be beaten you know. Thousands of people out there have conquered their addictions with nicotine, booze, gambling etc. I've done the nicotine one myself.:) and I've also lost the weight I gained when I quit plus some more. Losing weight is nowhere near as hard as quitting smoking I can tell you.

Fat people always try to play the "poor old me, I have to eat" card. There are zillions of things you can eat without piling on the weight ..... lean meat, eggs, fruit, veg, salad stuff, etc. but they choose instead to eat sugary food, junk food and other rubbish.

It takes a bit of willpower and self-control NOT to even buy the stuff which you know makes you pile the weight on but you soon get used to it. If it's not in the house you won't eat it, it's as simple as that.

While you keep telling yourself that you are "addicted" to food and that you can't cut food out completely (which nobody is expecting you to) you will never lose an ounce.

Sportsmen, dancers, singers, people with allergies, people with diabetes etc all have to make choices about what foods they can eat and what they have to avoid and they manage so why can't people with a weight problem just apply some self-control and do the same.

Absolutely so Hotgossip.
  • Options
    Forum Member

There is a huge difference between being a stone or two overweight and having an addiction that takes you to super morbidly obese.
  • Options
    Forum Member

How did you beat your addiction to nicotine? Do you still have to have a few cigarettes a day?

You can't give up food, that is the whole point.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How did you beat your addiction to nicotine? Do you still have to have a few cigarettes a day?

You can't give up food, that is the whole point.

Don't you actually READ Walter? You haven't got to stop eating food - just eat better food not fattening stuff.

Incidentally I stopped smoking by weaning myself off nicotine by using NRT patches. Precisely the same thing could be done with food you know. ;) Start off with a big plate of food, each day put a bit less on the plate, , then start replacing one bit of junk with something healthy until you have a plate of very nice, colourful, healthy food. Simples!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Don't you actually READ Walter? You haven't got to stop eating food - just eat better food not fattening stuff.

Incidentally I stopped smoking by weaning myself off nicotine by using NRT patches. Precisely the same thing could be done with food you know. ;) Start off with a big plate of food, each day put a bit less on the plate, , then start replacing one bit of junk with something healthy until you have a plate of very nice, colourful, healthy food. Simples!

Do you think if you just smoked 3 a day you would be ok though and never go back to it? The treatment for addiction is to stop doing it, which bit of that don't you understand?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you think if you just smoked 3 a day you would be ok though and never go back to it? The treatment for addiction is to stop doing it, which bit of that don't you understand?

I have chosen to stop using nicotine and instead replacing it with other "addictions" like fresh air, healthy eating and exercise.

For a young (ish) person you have a very closed mind. :rolleyes: It is possible to stop doing something but replace it with something else. Usually more beneficial to yourself.

How does this "addiction" thing work then regarding people who have gastric bands. A band is put round someone's stomach and their psychological "addiction" is sorted. :D:D

As someone said earlier, it's not an addiction, it's greed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    While you keep telling yourself that you are "addicted" to food and that you can't cut food out completely (which nobody is expecting you to) you will never lose an ounce

In that case, I'm perplexed to what has happened to the 5 stone I seem to have lost in the past 12 months :confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 310
    Forum Member
    At the risk of sounding harsh, I don't really have any sympathy for the obese. I have just watched the latest Supersize vs Superskinny. To some extent I can understand anorexia, the whole finding food disgusting thing... I get it. But being overweight I don't understand at all. This guy was taking a chinese takeaway home after every shift and was huge... I mean, do they have no self-awareness? There's loving food and there's being an idiot. I really just don't understand how you can do it. Stop eating so much crap all the time and you won't get massive.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I have chosen to stop using nicotine and instead replacing it with other "addictions" like fresh air, healthy eating and exercise.

For a young (ish) person you have a very closed mind. :rolleyes: It is possible to stop doing something but replace it with something else. Usually more beneficial to yourself.

How does this "addiction" thing work then regarding people who have gastric bands. A band is put round someone's stomach and their psychological "addiction" is sorted. :D:D

As someone said earlier, it's not an addiction, it's greed.

A gastric band stops them physically eating as much. It's fairly simple really.
  • Options
    ratty0ratty0 Posts: 2,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IIt takes a bit of willpower and self-control NOT to even buy the stuff which you know makes you pile the weight on but you soon get used to it. If it's not in the house you won't eat it, it's as simple as that.

I'm not sure about the willpower/self control thing (I have a feeling some people just 'have' innate self control, others just don't: it's like any other quality, such as being an optimist or an extrovert IMO - of course you can try and train yourself to behave differently but I believe it's part of your personality and very difficult to change).

However the problem with the "if it's not in the house" argument is that for people who really want something to eat/drink/whatever, it's really easy to get hold of it. It's not as if by not having it in your cupboard it doesn't exist. For example, within five minutes walking distance in any direction of my house I stumble across literally hundreds of shops, takeaways, etc. On my way to/from work I walk past loads of opportunities to purchase stuff. Food is so readily available and often you'll find people eating around you, adverts, shops, etc. It's not like an illegal drug in that sense - I think we are pretty surrounded by food. Purely because it's an essential part of life.

I'm not obese at all (I'm a size 10) but I have very little willpower/self control and I LOVE food. I can see how these people might feel but I can't say I know, because I haven't been to that extreme. I am convinced most (if not all?) obese people grow up surrounded by other obese family members etc and it is the 'norm' for them from a very young age.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ratty0 wrote: »
    I'm not sure about the willpower/self control thing (I have a feeling some people just 'have' innate self control, others just don't: it's like any other quality, such as being an optimist or an extrovert IMO - of course you can try and train yourself to behave differently but I believe it's part of your personality and very difficult to change).

However the problem with the "if it's not in the house" argument is that for people who really want something to eat/drink/whatever, it's really easy to get hold of it. It's not as if by not having it in your cupboard it doesn't exist. For example, within five minutes walking distance in any direction of my house I stumble across literally hundreds of shops, takeaways, etc. On my way to/from work I walk past loads of opportunities to purchase stuff. Food is so readily available and often you'll find people eating around you, adverts, shops, etc. It's not like an illegal drug in that sense - I think we are pretty surrounded by food. Purely because it's an essential part of life.

I'm not obese at all (I'm a size 10) but I have very little willpower/self control and I LOVE food. I can see how these people might feel but I can't say I know, because I haven't been to that extreme. I am convinced most (if not all?) obese people grow up surrounded by other obese family members etc and it is the 'norm' for them from a very young age.

That's what I used to think about myself. For way too many years I told myself that I couldn't stop smoking because I had no will-power and I know it's the same for a lot of people. But you can alter your mindset and teach yourself self-control and develop willpower. Thousands have done it you know!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A gastric band stops them physically eating as much. It's fairly simple really.

Yes I'm aware of that but if they are really "addicted" as you call it, then surely they're not going to let a little silicone band stop them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is a huge difference between being a stone or two overweight and having an addiction that takes you to super morbidly obese.

When I was young, having a food addiction meant being just plain greedy, and it still does, except that euphemisms are used now.
    Food addiction = greed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I was young, having a food addiction meant being just plain greedy, and it still does, except that euphemisms are used now.
    Food addiction = greed.

Children were taught NOT to be greedy. Things like - if you were handed a plate with cakes or biscuits you were supposed to take the one nearest to you and not search for the biggest or best.

If there was just one item left on a plate you weren't supposed to take it until you had checked that nobody else wanted it.

You were taught to take some food from serving dishes and then when and if you'd finished that you could help yourself to more.

You weren't allowed to have dessert unless you had finished all your first course.

And kids certainly weren't allowed to eat a whole packet of biscuits. Biscuits were kept in tins and you were offered ONE.

I feel sick when I've stayed in hotels where they offer All Inclusive (we never take up that option) and see families allowing their kids to pile their plates high, pick over it a bit and then leave loads before tucking in to icecreams and cokes.:eek: We are breeding a nation of gluttons.