Options

The Route Masters - BBC2 - 2100 - starts 18/06/13

Comments

• Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I actually hadn't realised that the night bus network was so extensive. When I used to use them years ago there were only a handful of routes.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    simono wrote: »
    They should have some kind of radio signs when using the radio like the police and most radio users Ie ic1 male etc this would stop any grief

I am sure a racially prejudiced person can describe someone as IC1 with just as much hatred as using an non-PC word for a white person.

The main reason for using the IC system is so non-PC expressions are not heard by the public, politicians etc.
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    lundavra wrote: »
    I am sure a racially prejudiced person can describe someone as IC1 with just as much hatred as using an non-PC word for a white person.

The main reason for using the IC system is so non-PC expressions are not heard by the public, politicians etc.

BIB really, got a link for that?
    I thought it was because it's easier/quicker/less confusing to use an accepted code.
    IC4 – Indian, Pakistani, Nepalese, Maldivian, Sri Lankan, Bangladeshi, or any other (South) Asian person.
    That said not all forces use the IC code system over the radios anyway.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 310
    Forum Member
    I fail to understand why that bus driver thought the controller needed to know that those guys were black. There was no need for it and it wasn't relevant at all.

I'm not surprised he gets called racist all the time, he sounds like one even if he's too dumb to realise it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BIB really, got a link for that?
    I thought it was because it's easier/quicker/less confusing to use an accepted code.
    IC4 – Indian, Pakistani, Nepalese, Maldivian, Sri Lankan, Bangladeshi, or any other (South) Asian person.
    That said not all forces use the IC code system over the radios anyway.

Of course few know what they use over the radio now except what is heard in police reality programmes.

It is just a presumption but the police are very PR minded and it did not sound good to hear the various non-PC terms being used to describe someone. Like any occupation, the police have their own jargon and the IC system has just become part of that just as they would often use the callsign of a town for the town itself.
  • Options
    dsimillerdsimiller Posts: 1,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blimey,it was a bit lively out there tonight.I think I will stick to daytime journeys.I'm too much of a wimp to travel the night-buses.It pays to be fearless and preferably with S.A.S training to venture out on the nocturnal bus network.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I fail to understand why that bus driver thought the controller needed to know that those guys were black. There was no need for it and it wasn't relevant at all.

I'm not surprised he gets called racist all the time, he sounds like one even if he's too dumb to realise it.

He would have called the police and probably given a description to them in case they ran off.

It reminds me of the time on Question Time when the chairman picked out the next question from the audience by describing in great detail the style, colour etc of dress rather than just say 'the black lady in the back row'.

The people accusing the driver of racism obviously did not listen to his later explanation of his own background.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Was it sexist to say that they were "guys"? What's wrong with "people"?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 361
    Forum Member
    Oh God that brings back memories of getting the N159 home to Croydon from Trafalgar Sqaure

- Group of guys get on the bus through the back door

- Bus Driver: "Get off the bus"

- Guys: "No!"

- Bus Driver: "Get off the bus"

- Guys: "Make us"

- Bus Driver: "Get off the bus or I'm not moving"

- Guys: "Fine - we don't care, we ain't getting off"

- Other passengers: "Get the f*ck off the bus"

- Guys: "F*ck off, we're not going anywhere"

- Bus Driver: "Get off the bus or I'll call the police"

- Guys: "Whatever"

By this time the next bus has turned up, so everyone gets off and piles onto that one instead :D every sodding Saturday night / Sunday morning. Grrr. Along with the vagrants, weirdos, bag ladies dying of ebola and drunk, arguing couples. I hated it.
  • Options
    Forum Member

I never new that calling a group of black guys a group of black guys was racist.
  • Options
    peach45peach45 Posts: 9,426
    Forum Member
    lundavra wrote: »
    He would have called the police and probably given a description to them in case they ran off.

It reminds me of the time on Question Time when the chairman picked out the next question from the audience by describing in great detail the style, colour etc of dress rather than just say 'the black lady in the back row'.

The people accusing the driver of racism obviously did not listen to his later explanation of his own background.

What that he said was half Asian and had a black wife?
  • Options
    BosoxBosox Posts: 14,184
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    Was it sexist to say that they were "guys"? What's wrong with "people"?

No because guys is a relevant information as it affects the nature of the response needed by the controllers. Whether they are women, kids, old people or guys would need different treatment. How is whether they are black, white or orange similarly relevant?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Bosox wrote: »
    No because guys is a relevant information as it affects the nature of the response needed by the controllers. Whether they are women, kids, old people or guys would need different treatment. How is whether they are black, white or orange similarly relevant?

"OK - we will relay this information to other bus drivers in the area to ensure that they don't cause similar trouble on a different bus"

So a description of the trouble-makers might be quite handy, no?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They were still on his bus, that was why he was calling for assistance, so that doesn't work. And what would the warning to other bus drivers have been anyway "watch out there's black guys around, they can be dangerous"?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    They were still on his bus, that was why he was calling for assistance, so that doesn't work. And what would the warning to other bus drivers have been anyway "watch out there's black guys around, they can be dangerous"?

He mentioned it twice - Once when they were still on the bus and asking for Police assistance. Surely the police would want a description of the people involved? He then mentioned it again when they had disembarked and the bus was moving. And yes of course you want to warn other bus drivers - Watch out for a group of black guys that may be trying to illegally enter the bus through the rear door. I really can't see the problem with that.
  • Options
    Roland MouseRoland Mouse Posts: 9,531
    Forum Member
    It was interesting that he thought the fact they were black was a relevant factor when it's not clear how that was an important piece of information that had to be conveyed. Was them being black somehow an extra threat that should spur the controllers into action faster and ensure help was sent quickly?

Yes heaven forbid that we use descriptive words and get what we normally say censored by those playing the race card to control others. It really has gone too far with some inventing racism where there is none and then screaming 'racist' to get there way. It really is shameful of them that their abuse of the race card is damaging credibility of real disgusting racism.

People have always used descriptive words and will not be bullied or forced into dropping them.

"A group of teenagers have just damaged my fence" is nothing but a statement of fact. But then we get the silliness in your post were someone will come alone and say "Was their age important as it could have also been done by a group of OAPs" :rolleyes:

Fact is when the police get there the first thing they will say is "Can you describe the group to us" - "No, sorry I can't as if I do, someone will abuse the race card and call me a racist.

Enough of this claptrap!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I would say that it would be racism to describe every details of their clothing, physical appearance etc but not their ethnicity. He did not use it in any sort of derogatory way, just a factual statement of his description of them.

What if ten Scotsmen in kilts and Jimmy hats causing trouble were described as Scots by the driver and a Scottish passenger moaned about it? Should he just say they were in kilts and Jimmy hats but not mention their ethnicity?
  • Options
    Roland MouseRoland Mouse Posts: 9,531
    Forum Member
    brisky wrote: »
    I never new that calling a group of black guys a group of black guys was racist.

Ah! Common bloody sense descends onto DS.

The fact that everyone gets jumped on, on here, clearly shows the level of this race card playing in today's world. They don't even care what damage it is doing to their own cause. In the end, no one will take them seriously when some real disgusting racism takes place.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just find it interesting that he considered it vital to bring their skin colour into it. To me it sounded like he felt their race made them an extra threat. 'Hey control, it's not just anyone, it's black guys so get out here double quick!' It's also interesting that he said people are 'always calling him racist', what is he doing to bring about these reactions?
  • Options
    StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    LostFool wrote: »
    I actually hadn't realised that the night bus network was so extensive. When I used to use them years ago there were only a handful of routes.
    Amazed by how many and how full they were.....but not when Jeff was on it.:(
    mike65 wrote: »
    Public service is below them! ;) All wannabe barrow boys.

London at night looked great in HD.
    Stunning.:cool:
    Randy Bus drivers with naff pick up lines.
    I remember On The Buses.
  • Options
    AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No wonder the capital spend on transport in London is x4 times that in other regions. Jesus, all those control rooms, systems. NASA has less resources

Interesting to see Nightbuses, we don't have them here, think people prefer taxis!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes heaven forbid that we use descriptive words and get what we normally say censored by those playing the race card to control others. It really has gone too far with some inventing racism where there is none and then screaming 'racist' to get there way. It really is shameful of them that their abuse of the race card is damaging credibility of real disgusting racism.

Quite right. Racism is a big problem but you don't help the anti-racist cause by jumping up and down crying "racist!" when there was none present or intended.
  • Options
    StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    Ambassador wrote: »
    No wonder the capital spend on transport in London is x4 times that in other regions. Jesus, all those control rooms, systems. NASA has less resources

Interesting to see Nightbuses, we don't have them here, think people prefer taxis!
    or their Bed...;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ambassador wrote: »

Night buses? We don't even have an Evening bus - the last service is at 7pm and there are none at all on a Sunday.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just find it interesting that he considered it vital to bring their skin colour into it. To me it sounded like he felt their race made them an extra threat. 'Hey control, it's not just anyone, it's black guys so get out here double quick!' It's also interesting that he said people are 'always calling him racist', what is he doing to bring about these reactions?

The cynical might say that the police should send more people because you can almost guarantee that each one of them would also play the 'race card' when questioned.