Strange saxophone this week Bob
  • EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh Bob you're such a rebel, tearing up JT
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hang on! Where were Crumpet & Co tonight??
  • FB1969FB1969 Posts: 1,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I noticed they threw the posters on the floor, I hope someone recycled them.
  • alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Red Bee went with the real lyrics on the subs...
  • Robbie01Robbie01 Posts: 10,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Iconic Boomtown Rats performance. I remember this one from the time, ripping up the John Travolta picture is brilliant!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gulftastic wrote: »

Just realised that, no Sue :(
  • alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gulftastic wrote: »
    They didn't do any routines on this one... (checked in the usual places)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alcockell wrote: »
    (checked in the usual places)

I like to do that when they are on
  • Torch81Torch81 Posts: 15,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That Rats poster ripping bit at the beginning was genius! Loved it. Brilliant song. Different view of him these days, (as probably have many others), but I remember this song from the time (as about a 12 year old) and (fantasising about Debbie Harry aside), this seemed about as exciting it could get back then.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kid getting in his Yewtree defence early.
  • Nick GNick G Posts: 1,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah the last great Rod Stewart single. Or, to be unkind, the last good one.
  • UrsulaUUrsulaU Posts: 7,239
    Forum Member
    Decent TOTP tonight! I was watching TOTP on a regular basis by now in 1978 cause I knew all the songs! - No Legs & Co tonight!!:eek:

Loved TOAST - Forgotten it was Paul Young!!

TOTP could take notes from Elton John's vid and make the audience move a bit more - Liked his image!!

As for Child - if they'd had any decent songs they could've been a good band as they had the looks!

And Boomtown Rats - havn't seen them on TOTP for a while!! :rolleyes:

I Love Do ya Think I'm Sexy! :D
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Bloody awful Rod Stewart disco track to close.
  • North DownsNorth Downs Posts: 2,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alcockell wrote: »
    They didn't do any routines on this one... (checked in the usual places)

Why were they credited at the end?
  • Robbie01Robbie01 Posts: 10,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Now Rod, this definitely takes me back to late 1978. It's the song that almost killed his career at the time but it's not too bad.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Robbie01 wrote: »
    Now Rod, this definitely takes me back to late 1978. It's the song that almost killed his career at the time but it's not too bad.

Always thought, still do, that it was a good song with great lyrics. Unashamed guilty pleasure! :D
  • EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So no Legs and Co but a couple of promo videos. Was this perhaps an early indication of the time when they would no longer need a dance troupe to fill in for non-attending artists?
  • sandalfsandalf Posts: 52
    Forum Member
    I remember Street Band were due to do a gig at my school. Then suddenly they got into the charts with this and they pulled out!
  • ErithianErithian Posts: 294
    Forum Member
    Who was that bloke whose picture the Rats were tearing up during their intro? Never seen him before. Or maybe I've glimpsed him in the chart rundowns... ;)
  • ErithianErithian Posts: 294
    Forum Member
    Now imagine someone stepped out of a Tardis and told the TOTP audience that tonight's show included the featured vocalists from what would become the three biggest-selling singles of all time in the UK. They might have guessed Elton and Freddie, but the bloke out of Streetband...?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Erithian wrote: »
    Now imagine someone stepped out of a Tardis and told the TOTP audience that tonight's show included the featured vocalists from what would become the three biggest-selling singles of all time in the UK. They might have guessed Elton and Freddie, but the bloke out of Streetband...?

And wasn't he very lucky to get to be on that though? I'm sure I've read somewhere that Geldof had someone else in mind/planned to sing the first line of the song, (Bowie I think), but he then pulled out and at the last minute they got Paul Young in to do it instead? (mainly as they had very few other options at the time).
  • Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hereby pronounce my official response to tonight's TOTP dated 16th November 1978. ;)

The opener to the Top 30 countdown by Three Degrees, Givin' Up Givin' In is definitely one of their best. The studio performance they did of this track previously did not do it justice in my opinion. The record itself at full volume is mind blowingly powerful. They are on a roll for the next year now, so we'll be seeing a lot more of them.

Buzzcocks, Promises is this still classed as punk or new wave by now? I neither liked it nor disliked it. It was what it was. They look like a group that should have endured a lot longer to me, having shown such promise with this song and the previous.

Elton John, Part Time Love. As Ursula said, and I agree as I watched it I thought the look that Elton had was brilliant and I really liked it. One of Elton's lesser played tracks but it's a solid up tempo and undated track that sounds like it comes from the next decade. A very big contrast to his next sombre release coming hot on it's heels and what will be his biggest solo hit for 6 years. I'd never seen this performance either.

Blondie, Hangin' On The Telephone is their best single so far in my opinion and kicks off the run of really big hits from now on. Why can't anyone seem to make records as instantly energetic and catchy as this nowadays?

Dean Friedman, Lydia. So he shows up on TOTP with the follow up song to the cute Lucky Stars which went top three. Bit late Dean! You'd already come and gone. I've never heard this song before. Maybe it's a grower, but it was standard fare and what I anticipated when I aw his name on tonight's show. This was no repeat of Lucky Stars however. It just missed the top thirty by a single place in the end. About right I think.

Streetband, Toast. How can you not like this catchy little tune? Paul Young, who would have thought what 5 years later would bring? (Paul knocking Rod Stewart's 5th and final No1 off the top spot) when in this edition Rod has entered with what will be his 4th topper to come. Was wondering if the kitchen set up was done by TOTP themselves or was a promo piece. Too many cooks burn the toast. I've promptly gone and made some toast...with marmite, always the best way to have it! Mmmm. Oh, and I saw Paul Young with his finger in a plaster, maybe he got it stuck in the toaster and burnt!

Queen, Fat Bottomed Girls. A standard Queen track. I don't know much about the story of this song and wonder who they were writing about here? Clearly we were not going to get the promo for the other side of this double A single, Bicycle Race, featuring dozens of naked biking women going around a track in circles.

Child, Still The One was a total flop and not a hit. I'm not surprised. This group look like they belong to the pop world of 1974-76 and are very far removed from the era of 1978-79. A decent sound I suppose they made. Had they come along 5 years sooner maybe they would have been massive, but they look lame now, and must have looked lame back in 1978 as a very dated style group indeed. The drummer looked quite cute though! A twin I believe with one of the guitarists. I noticed a resemblance.

Boomtwon Rats, Rat Trap finally makes it to No1. Cocky Geldof ripping up John Travolta. I so wish he'd got his come uppance the following week with Olivia knocking the Rats off the top with Hopelessley Devoted To You, now that would have been funny considering what he did there. But she got stuck for 2 weeks behind Rat Trap. I'm a fan of Olivia Newton-John's music from 1979 to 1982. She's already moved on from Grease within weeks of this with her next brilliant top five hit.

Playing out with Rod Stewart's Do Ya Think I'm Sexy? a track I never understand for being so maligned. It's brilliant. I hope it's also tongue in cheek too. The next new No1 in two weeks time, albeit for just the one week. Somebody posted that it was Rod's last great/good record. No way. Young Turks is fab, as is Baby Jane (the song Paul Young dethroned from the top) to name two.

Another excellent episode, just a shame we missed 3 integral tracks to make it complete from Showaddywaddy, Elvis Costello and Heatwave, with Always & Forever which seems to be a regular late night favourite on radio to this day.

I just about recall the frequency change on radio at about this time in 1978, even though I was too young to be allowed my own radio still. I do recall little diamond shaped stickers with numbers on them in blue and red that were meant to be put on the dial or tuning bar of radio's back then. I vividly recall seeing these lables put on my mum's and nan's radio's at the time. Does anyone else recall them?

As for the 275/285 MW frequency, is this not what Talksport uses now, as 1053/1089?

No more "goodnight's and good love" from the "Kid" it seems. Nice bouffant hair he had there. I think he still does! :cool: