Options

The DS Eurovision General Discussion Thread (Part 54)

Comments

• Options
    steeleuro_wolfsteeleuro_wolf Posts: 13,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm totally against going back to the old 1 semi system except under extreme circumstances. I've said it before, if that system had been in place this year we would have had Macedonia in the final. That shows what a terrible idea it is for me.
  • Options
    phill363phill363 Posts: 24,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm totally against going back to the old 1 semi system except under extreme circumstances. I've said it before, if that system had been in place this year we would have had Macedonia in the final. That shows what a terrible idea it is for me.

The final in 2014 would be big 5 plus Denmark, Azerbaijan, Ukraine, Norway, Russia, Greece, Malta, Netherlands, Hungary and Moldova (Belgium missing out on tie break) and 10 qualifiers from a 23 song semifinal. Probably Romania, Bosnia, Sweden, Belarus, Armenia, Georgia, Lithuania, Macedonia(in 10th), Albania and probably Montenegro qualifying.
  • Options
    PatheticFallacyPatheticFallacy Posts: 7,761
    Forum Member
    They should just cut the number of qualifiers from each semi to 8 or 9. I always thought 26 was too big of a number for a final anyway.
  • Options
    thmsthms Posts: 61,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    have no final. spread the songs over two nights Friday and Saturday, then do the results show on Sunday
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,681
    Forum Member
    Serbia: I wasn't expecting this at all. They're one of the most enthusiastic ESC nations and it gets huge ratings in Serbia when they qualify for the final. Hopefully it'll just be a one year strop. :p

Bulgaria: Not too surprised by this. I do think the decision to withdraw is more to do with the ego's of the TV execs at BNT regarding constant failure to qualify rather than the cost. ;)

I do think it's quite annoying how the big/rich broadcasters happily pay quite sizable fees to take part in comparison to the poorer broadcasters, yet these poorer broadcasters still complain about the cost. There's no such thing as a free lunch.
  • Options
    yoshi94yoshi94 Posts: 6,200
    Forum Member
    If we have 2 16s in the semis, they should go down to 8 qualifying. 10 out of 16 would look more like DSFE :p. I quite like thms's idea, but I don't think it could work practically, how could you stop the Friday songs having a huge advantage over the Saturday songs through more time. OTOH, the Saturday songs may benefit by having more people voting than on Friday. If there is a way to make that format fair, it might just work.
    Edit: Never realised we'd hit 37! I guess we'd been spoiled by the 40+ days of 08-12 :p. 37 (maybe 38) is a very good number :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember feeling blessed when I saw (no sooner than MARCH) how many countries were going to take part in 1994!!
  • Options
    penguinpersonpenguinperson Posts: 16,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yoshi94 wrote: »
    If we have 2 16s in the semis, they should go down to 8 qualifying. 10 out of 16 would look more like DSFE :p. I quite like thms's idea, but I don't think it could work practically, how could you stop the Friday songs having a huge advantage over the Saturday songs through more time. OTOH, the Saturday songs may benefit by having more people voting than on Friday. If there is a way to make that format fair, it might just work.
    Edit: Never realised we'd hit 37! I guess we'd been spoiled by the 40+ days of 08-12 :p. 37 (maybe 38) is a very good number :)

Going down to 9 would be better if we get to the 35ish range as going to 8 makes it statistically harder which I would be against.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think we need to it was fine this year in semifinal 1 with only 6 missing out.

I think there will be a lot of returns for the 60th show anyway
  • Options
    BBAnneBBAnne Posts: 23,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sent my votes for the NF Rejects - only 2 songs from MelFest :eek: :D

Am super happy that 3 for All got through for Switzerland, the others are a bit meh for me

Bulgaria is no loss (unless Poli Genova got the ticket every year) but Serbia will be greatly missed, I kinda loved all their entries
  • Options
    Chickens hitChickens hit Posts: 26,493
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    phill363 wrote: »
    http://news.sky.com/story/1172473/eurovision-2014-bulgaria-and-serbia-pull-out

Sky have picked it up I notice they haven't said anything about the returning countries

The comments below the article are priceless. :D

Sorry at both withdrawals. I just don't like to see anyone do a runner. I'd say we won't see Bulgaria again anytime soon.

Good to see Moldova confirming. Wonder if Pasha will have any part in their entry again?
  • Options
    NightFox_DancerNightFox_Dancer Posts: 14,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The comments below the article are priceless. :D

It's like the same people every time copy and pasting the same old rubbish. :p

My particular favourite is this one...
    Any money that we waste, because lets face it we are never going to win, should be given to our injured troops.

That's right! Because that's what the license fee was initially set up for, doh!
  • Options
    SaturnSaturn Posts: 18,971
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does anyone else look at the list of none entrants on wiki and long for the year when they all decide to have a go? :p

Also, is it possible Serbia have withdrawn because Kosovo have been let in? They can't be poorer than Moldova surely.
  • Options
    Chickens hitChickens hit Posts: 26,493
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saturn wrote: »
    Does anyone else look at the list of none entrants on wiki and long for the year when they all decide to have a go? :p

Also, is it possible Serbia have withdrawn because Kosovo have been let in? They can't be poorer than Moldova surely.

What?!?! Kosovo are in the Contest? Is that official? :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What?!?! Kosovo are in the Contest? Is that official? :confused:

No lol, it's a suspicion :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My first choice Fantasy entry was already taken even though I entered within the first 24 hours! What are the chances with the infinite number of songs to choose from!! I also think it was a certain qualifier which has been tough going for me this year. I think I even know who sent it, someone with an ice cream number in their title!

As for the ESC countries, Serbia is a huge loss, alongside France and Italy, my favourite nation in ESC always sending something artistic. If they had sent Dusan Svilar this year they would have had another top ten result. Let's hope Kosovo have joined the contest although we know who their 12 will be going to immediately without even hearing the songs!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've just listened to Spas again. What a mess. He is gorgeous though. I don't think it would have done all that well.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RogerMilla wrote: »
    My first choice Fantasy entry was already taken even though I entered within the first 24 hours! What are the chances with the infinite number of songs to choose from!! I also think it was a certain qualifier which has been tough going for me this year. I think I even know who sent it, someone with an ice cream number in their title!

As for the ESC countries, Serbia is a huge loss, alongside France and Italy, my favourite nation in ESC always sending something artistic. If they had sent Dusan Svilar this year they would have had another top ten result. Let's hope Kosovo have joined the contest although we know who their 12 will be going to immediately without even hearing the songs!

Greece?

Albania?

;)
  • Options
    yoshi94yoshi94 Posts: 6,200
    Forum Member
    That's a good point about Kosovio, if the EBU are getting serious about them joining, then Serbia would get a bit angry, we all know how touchy things get down there. If we see Serbia leaving EBU, that would make it pretty clear. When is the final announcement of all countries?
  • Options
    pauledin99pauledin99 Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RogerMilla wrote: »

Moi? I submitted later this week so it won't be mine. Intrigued to find out what it is now though! I could do with a sure-fire qualifier myself this week - only one through so far.
  • Options
    big bro geekbig bro geek Posts: 18,268
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've got no idea what to send!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any one know whats going on now, someone on ESC United have said the deadlines been extended till january now, must be in overdrive trying to change minds.
  • Options
    Jason CJason C Posts: 31,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any one know whats going on now, someone on ESC United have said the deadlines been extended till january now, must be in overdrive trying to change minds.

But surely the only way the EBU will be able to change the minds of the withdrawn countries will be to lower their participation fees and risk everyone else kicking off?

Tell you what, Svante Stockselius didn't half pick a good time to step down as Executive Supervisor and let Sand deal with all this instead.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pauledin99 wrote: »
    Moi? I submitted later this week so it won't be mine. Intrigued to find out what it is now though! I could do with a sure-fire qualifier myself this week - only one through so far.

All will become very apparent! Really annoyed to be missing out on what I think is surefire top 5 in Fantasy 8 next week!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Glad to hear it has been extended, a chance to get all the countries back in the fold again. Serbia reconsider!
This discussion has been closed.