Options

Best Concert Venue

2»

Comments

• Options
    PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of the worst venues for people talking rather than paying attention to the gig has to be The Borderline. I saw Juliet Turner there once when it got so bad that she stopped the show and said along the lines of "Look, I was really looking forward to playing in London again and you're just totally spoiling it for me.......so will you please just shut the f**k up".....which drew an excellent response from those of us who were there trying to listen to the music.

The Luminaire in Kilburn which has now closed as a music venue had signs saying "If you're here to drink and chat with your mates you're in the wrong place. Anyone talking persistently during the performances will be asked to leave."

I've also seen several arguments and, occasionally, fights break out over people talking and/or mucking around with their phones rather than paying attention to the gig.
  • Options
    PointyPointy Posts: 1,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Either the Royal Albert Hall or Union Chapel. Magical, special places. :)
  • Options
    dodger0703dodger0703 Posts: 1,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like Manchester Academy and The Ritz
  • Options
    SteelEdgeSteelEdge Posts: 6,903
    Forum Member
    Pointy wrote: »
    Either the Royal Albert Hall or Union Chapel. Magical, special places. :)

I saw Lissie at Union Chapel this week. I agree, stunning venue. The acoustics are incredible (especially on the slower songs she did), and she even did one of her songs with just a church organ as backing. Stunning, could've heard a pin drop at times.
  • Options
    uniqueunique Posts: 12,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    glyn9799 wrote: »
    Best for me is Newcastle Metro - always lively and great atmosphere. It's not too big, not to small. Perfect. The O2 arena has the best seats though :D

Worst is Glasgows SECC. I saw Kylie there in 2011 and it was the most lifeless concert i've ever been too. Just about everybody was sat down all the way through :o We vowed never to go to the SECC again! We are going to the Hydro to see Gaga later this year though... hopefully it's an improvement!

the secc is pretty crap. the hydro is a bit better as it's more like a semi circle shape instead of an aircraft hanger, and the seating at the back is fixed and raise a lot more, as opposed to the bleacher type removable seating at the secc. at least the hydro is purpose built for gigs rather than general events

hyde park is awful though. it's nice to a degree if it's a nice sunny summers day and it's not been raining before and during and after the show so it's dry. but the place is massive and folk at the back must be literally about a mile from the stage if not more. because of local laws, the sound is restricted so it's awful. so you can be in the middle of the venue watching from screens with crap sound like being at a drive in cinema. it's then a nightmare trying to get out. not fun getting in either. then add in the travel, parking and accomodation issues. even if you are in the pit at the front, that has the capacity of some arenas
  • Options
    fredsnailfredsnail Posts: 1,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Worst SBE - poor views, accoustics awful and crowd continually talking, texting and getting up for drinks/toilet.

Best Symphony Hall Birmingham & Wales Millenium Centre in Cardiff - great view wherever you end up brilliant accoustics.
  • Options
    uniqueunique Posts: 12,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fredsnail wrote: »
    Worst SBE - poor views, accoustics awful and crowd continually talking, texting and getting up for drinks/toilet.

it depends where you are located at SBE, standing near the back it's hard to get a good view, but from upstairs or the front you get a good view

talking about poor views, koko's can be a nightmare. upstairs if you are on the banister you are fine, but if you aren't then it's hard to see. the top level is awful