Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 60)

Comments

• Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,674
    Forum Member
    Viacom's Comedy Central pilots UK sitcom I Live With Models:

http://www.comedy.co.uk/news/story/000001534/i_live_with_models_comedy_central_pilot.
  • Options
    Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think moving the Derby to a post 6 pm slot won't make that much difference. Also racing fans will be furious as it's been moved and night racing has a lower profile than day racing, which could reduce ratings further.
    Maybe Channel 4 should try improving their coverage of big meetings, where they seem to lack the sense of occasion the BBC had and adverts are shown almost until the start.
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    F1Ken wrote: »
    Well that really is amazing!

BBC One had a decent night, there was me saying last night "Oh the final might peak at 7m!"

I reckon the world cup final is set to do very well next sunday.

I think the Brazil v Germany semi final could get great numbers tomorrow.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Glenn A wrote: »
    I think moving the Derby to a post 6 pm slot won't make that much difference. Also racing fans will be furious as it's been moved and night racing has a lower profile than day racing, which could reduce ratings further.
    Maybe Channel 4 should try improving their coverage of big meetings, where they seem to lack the sense of occasion the BBC had and adverts are shown almost until the start.
    Well part of the reason evening racing has a lower profile is there's never any big races on in the evening. It's mostly maidens and low grade handicaps.

It's slightly curious therefore that the only time Sky (who own At The Races outright) bother to show racing on a Sky branded channel is for a couple of hours in the evening during the summer, once or twice a week.
  • Options
    yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member
    Well we know 12m were watching the match by the end, so why the surprise that the post match got 9m?
    KennyT wrote: »
    Yep. imagine the following hourly averages:

match:
    5-6 5m
    6-7 8m
    7-8 11m

chat:
    8-9 9m

average for match is 8m
    average for chat is 9m...

K

Yes I suppose it makes a little more sense if its been a penalty shoot out and the after match was perhaps a little shorter - but it still looks odd.
  • Options
    F1KenF1Ken Posts: 4,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cylon6 wrote: »
    I think the Brazil v Germany semi final could get great numbers tomorrow.

Yes, the brazil games have done very well. The Argentina vs Netherlands semi is a nice looking match as well. Both could do very well as you say.

As for moving the Derby to 6pm, i'm not sure. Moving the FA cup worked but that's football.

It strikes me as clutching at straws sadly, if C4 could up their game and promote these meeting properly and cover them well, I think that would be a better bet than moving the start time around.
  • Options
    D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think this has been reported for yesterday....

Tour de France - 10:30 to 17:00
    ITV - 1.19m (10.4%) inc HD and exc +1
    ITV4 - 500k (4.4%)
    => 1.69m (14.7%)
  • Options
    H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    I don't think this has been reported for yesterday....

Tour de France - 10:30 to 17:00
    ITV - 1.19m (10.4%) inc HD and exc +1
    ITV4 - 500k (4.4%)
    => 1.69m (14.7%)

Thanks DMN

Seems like it was a good idea to simulcast the Tour De France on ITV4 and ITV. Wth a further 500k-700k for highlights at 7pm its a good buy for ITV.
  • Options
    RobbieSykes123RobbieSykes123 Posts: 14,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well that really is amazing!

BBC One had a decent night, there was me saying last night "Oh the final might peak at 7m!"

I reckon the world cup final is set to do very well next sunday.

The 2010 final match-averaged 13.44m on BBC1.

So goodness knows why you expected it to peak at 7m!

Itv got 2.79m average for their overall coverage.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The 2010 final match-averaged 13.44m on BBC1.

So goodness knows why you expected it to peak at 7m!

Itv got 2.79m average for their overall coverage.

I was talking about Wimbledon! ;-)

I have a feeling the World Cup will average higher this time around.
  • Options
    D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doctor Who's first episode of series eight - Deep Breath - is 79 minutes long.
  • Options
    RobbieSykes123RobbieSykes123 Posts: 14,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was talking about Wimbledon! ;-)

I have a feeling the World Cup will average higher this time around.

I'm terribly sorry Ken!

The perils of trying to read and contribute via smartphone!

The Daily Express reckons a month long 86f heatwave starts this weekend, so maybe that will impact ratings for the next few weeks.... (granted nobody else is predicting this :-) )
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm terribly sorry Ken!

No problem, ITV would like a 7m peak for the final! :D

As for doctor who at 79 mins long, I suspect it will do very well indeed.
  • Options
    patrick95patrick95 Posts: 416
    Forum Member
    Dancc wrote: »
    Channel 5's Most Watched Programmes of 2014 (UPDATED)

1. Celebrity Big Brother - Friday, January 3, 21:00 - 3.78M
    2. Benefits Britain: Life on the Dole - Monday, June 16, 21:00 - 2.84M
    3. The Big Benefits Row: Live - Monday, February 3, 21:00 - 2.58M
    4. Big Brother - Thursday, June 5, 21:00 - 2.52M
    5. Autopsy: Whitney Houston's Last Hours - Tuesday, January 14, 22:00 - 2.46M
    6. Can't Pay? We'll Take It Away! - Monday, March 3, 21:00 - 2.35M
    7. CSI: Crime Scene Investigation - Tuesday, June 24, 21:00 - 2.22M *NEW HIGH*
    8. Gypsies On Benefits & Proud - Friday, April 11, 21:00 - 2.14M
    9. She's 78 He's 39: Age Gap Love - Tuesday, February 4, 21:00 - 2.11M
    10. The Mentalist - Tuesday, April 22, 21:00 - 2.07M
    11. NCIS - Wednesday, February 5, 21:00 - 2.01M
    12. The Hotel Inspector - Thursday, February 20, 21:00 - 1.98M
    13. FILM: Grown Ups (2010) - Sunday. April 13, 22:05 - 1.94M
    14. The Nightmare Neighbour Next Door - Tuesday, April 15, 20:00 - 1.92M
    15. Helix - Monday, January 20, 22:00 - 1.85M

*includes HD and +1 viewing but excludes +24
    *film ratings do not cover entire film when 5 News is scheduled during as is mostly the case

www.barb.co.uk
    www.channel5.com

Stunned that only one film has managed to make the list - I always had the premier of 21 Jump Street as a dead cert to make it into the top 10.

On a related Channel 5 note - I hear that MTV (owned by none other than Viacom) hope to develop a UK version of their hit programme Catfish: The TV Show... Now that is something I can imagine being a good fit for 5, especially in a CBB sandwich.
  • Options
    patrick95patrick95 Posts: 416
    Forum Member
    Not surprised that Common hit a relatively low figure - it was a bloody bleak programme.

No problem, ITV would like a 7m peak for the final! :D

As for doctor who at 79 mins long, I suspect it will do very well indeed.

I'm a long time lurker and just wanted to say glad your feeling better. Your a breath of fresh air when things can get a little...tense around here!
  • Options
    Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Staggering peak ratings for the tennis on a glorious summer afternoon and with no British interest.

F1 ok considering the clashes. Be good to know the 2.05 onwards race average. You'd think the BBC and Sky, and the BRDC, would be lobbying Bernie to schedule it on the Sunday after Wimbledon like it always used to be.

Well I don't know how it will affect things but Wimbledon shifts a week later next year(to give more recovery time after the French Open). Selling F1 on Wimbledon's Sunday off would be a lot easier :)
  • Options
    A.D.PA.D.P Posts: 10,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    Doctor Who's first episode of series eight - Deep Breath - is 79 minutes long.

Fantastic.
  • Options
    Mr SirsMr Sirs Posts: 4,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    northlad wrote: »
    BBC now saying the police reporting the figure was nearer 5 million over the two days.

:o
    In some of the little villages there were tens of thousands of people. There were 60,000 on Holme Moss! In the cities, measure in the hundreds of thousands. Tot all that up over 250 miles of spectator lined roads and you won't struggle getting 2-3m.

Thanks for that. And ah - I now know who the culprit was that had made a banner saying "ITV - GIRUY" ;-) :D:p
  • Options
    AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    These BBC consumer shows are getting beyond ridiculous. In "How Safe is Your Home" now on BBC1, they were demonstrating how dangerous cheap toys can be. Right children, here's instructions on how to detect a faulty doll:

Grab a pair of pliers.
    Apply pliers to doll's eye lashes.
    Pull really really hard.
    If the pliers can pull out one lash then your doll will explode and your house will burn down.

Honestly. Anything will break if you apply force to it. And, what about all those families who genuinely can only afford cheap toys? Are their children to be deprived of play things?
  • Options
    Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm terribly sorry Ken!

The Daily Express reckons a month long 86f heatwave starts this weekend, so maybe that will impact ratings for the next few weeks.... (granted nobody else is predicting this :-) )

Iv never known a newspaper use the weather for so many sensationalistic headlines as the Express. Id love to know their percentage of correct forecasts.
  • Options
    AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm terribly sorry Ken!

The Daily Express are obssessed with weather headlines. The long range forecast (according to the BBC) is average or slightly above average temperatures, mainly dry and warm with the chance of showers. There is a likelihood of the Azores High dominating the South towards the end of July and into August. Basically, we're having a decent summer without unbearably hot temperatures and excessive rain.
  • Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks DMN

Seems like it was a good idea to simulcast the Tour De France on ITV4 and ITV. Wth a further 500k-700k for highlights at 7pm its a good buy for ITV.

Its only on ITV4 tomorrow at 14:00 as the British part of the race is now finished.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    patrick95 wrote: »
    Stunned that only one film has managed to make the list - I always had the premier of 21 Jump Street as a dead cert to make it into the top 10.
    Superbad never rated too well in Total People either. I think for Five it did the business because of how many 16-34s tuned in. The premiere was sponsored by 22 Jump Street which went on to perform very well at the UK box office.

Grown Ups doesn't really deserve to be the most watched film on C5 this year. It will probably be surpassed by something else in Q4 assuming C5 has saved their strongest titles for the back end of the year like normal.
  • Options
    davey_waveydavey_wavey Posts: 27,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    About what I expected for Common last night. I didn't think it would hit 5m. Like other Jimmy McGovern dramas, it looked quite bleak and heavy, and was dealing with a difficult subject. 4.4m is a good enough result. Casualty did very well beforehand, with Countryfile and Regional News posting strong shares.

The soaps have been all over the place due to the World Cup. I know we've seen iPlayer figures for EastEnders on the rise, but I would be curious to see how Corrie and Emmerdale have performed on the itv player over the past couple of weeks. Since getting my iPad, I've been using itv player to catch up with Corrie and Emmerdale because I can't be bothered to chase it around the schedules since the World Cup has been on. I wonder how many other viewers have felt the same.

Similarly, Big Brother's figures have been underwhelming but I've been watching that on Demand Five too. And I would love it if Channel 5 released some figures from Big Brother for its catch up service. Since Big Brother's audience are young and tech savvy, I wouldn't be surprised if it does quite well on its catch up service. It's easy to miss an episode as it's on nightly and people go on their holidays etc, so bingeing on the show to catch up makes the most sense.
  • Options
    A.D.PA.D.P Posts: 10,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wizzywick wrote: »
    These BBC consumer shows are getting beyond ridiculous. In "How Safe is Your Home" now on BBC1, they were demonstrating how dangerous cheap toys can be. Right children, here's instructions on how to detect a faulty doll:

Grab a pair of pliers.
    Apply pliers to doll's eye lashes.
    Pull really really hard.
    If the pliers can pull out one lash then your doll will explode and your house will burn down.

Honestly. Anything will break if you apply force to it. And, what about all those families who genuinely can only afford cheap toys? Are their children to be deprived of play things?

And what about the families who have their homes burnt down and children in danger?

At least they " had" a cheap toy.
This discussion has been closed.