Options

Big Brother 15 Ratings Thread

Comments

• Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,674
    Forum Member
    The 5M launch was a freak rating generated by a huge publicity campaign and general curiosity about the show's return and how the show would look and feel on C5. It would have produced a similarly freak never to be repeated rating whatever channel it had gone to I believe.

Of course C5 is capable of outrating C4. Indeed last night at 9PM they outrated ITV. But C5 content will get less viewers than the same content would on ITV or C4. It's a fact and not something which can be disputed. Anyone who refuses to acknowledge this when commenting on the ratings I struggle to take seriously because the only reason you wouldn't I believe is to make the ratings look worse than they actually are.

Fact #1: If the show hits C5's internal benchmarks, it will be renewed.
    Fact #2: These internal benchmarks will be considerably lower than the benchmarks it needed to hit on C4, as reflected in the lower price paid for the rights in the first place.
  • Options
    Fried KickinFried Kickin Posts: 60,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It will be interesting to see if Viacom consider the show worth renewing.
    Personally I hope they do renew and return with a larger budget and decent Live Feed.
    If BB is to be the flagship show for C5 it really should have a budget to reflect that.
    So far I get the feeling that its all done on the cheap.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It will be interesting to see if Viacom consider the show worth renewing.
    Personally I hope they do renew and return with a larger budget and decent Live Feed.
    If BB is to be the flagship show for C5 it really should have a budget to reflect that.
    So far I get the feeling that its all done on the cheap.
    I wouldn't spend much more on it than they are at the moment, because with that comes the need for bigger audiences.

The house has always looked fantastic on C5, CBB has attracted lineups that compare favourably with the C4 era and bigger shows like I'm A Celebrity, and the exterior set looks good but could do with a revamp at some stage. The only area that's notably been weak is tasks but it's something you probably don't have to spend the earth on anyway and a lack of good ideas for tasks has been a bigger issue.
  • Options
    Stefano92Stefano92 Posts: 66,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fanntastik wrote: »
    Wasn't there only like 3 or 4 days of the show left after the quad eviction? Not that big of an accomplishment. :p I will never get over that eviction lol.

Last night did well, helped by the great lead-in rating. Let's see if they liked what they saw last night and stick around.

They won't stick around tonight and tomorrow because of the semis sadly. I predict a 10.5m average for the match tonight, around 9m tomorrow.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 478
    Forum Member
    Dancc wrote: »
    The 5M launch was a freak rating generated by a huge publicity campaign and general curiosity about the show's return and how the show would look and feel on C5. It would have produced a similarly freak never to be repeated rating whatever channel it had gone to I believe.

Of course C5 is capable of outrating C4. Indeed last night at 9PM they outrated ITV. But C5 content will get less viewers than the same content would on ITV or C4. It's a fact and not something which can be disputed. Anyone who refuses to acknowledge this when commenting on the ratings I struggle to take seriously because the only reason you wouldn't I believe is to make the ratings look worse than they actually are.

Fact #1: If the show hits C5's internal benchmarks, it will be renewed.
    Fact #2: These internal benchmarks will be considerably lower than the benchmarks it needed to hit on C4, as reflected in the lower price paid for the rights in the first place.

I wouldn't say the 5m figure was a freak figure and the publicity campaign wasn't that much bigger than what Channel 4 would occasionally do. It was a cheesy rehash of what Channel 4 used the previous year. I appreciate that channels airing the same content will get different figures depending on the channel, but Big Brother was an eleven year old programme at the time, so that is a bit of a mute point especially when the Channel 5 reach and share isn't much different to Channel 4's. If people didn't know by that point what Big Brother was about, then they never would.

I'm not trying to make the ratings look any better or worse than they are, I'm just offering a suggestion that the figures have been on par with Channel 4 on a few occasions when there is the suggestion that will rate much lower because its on a smaller channel. The size between the channels isn't a significant one. If it had moved from ITV to Channel 5 I'd be more understanding of such a drop. Also, didn't Channel 5 initially pay more for the rights per series than Channel 4 did?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    JFoster1 wrote: »
    I wouldn't say the 5m figure was a freak figure.
    Let me stop you there, because it absolutely was. Prior to that night C5 had only topped 5M four times in its entire 14 year history, and not once in the decade prior.

Very clearly a freak rating. The stats don't lie.
  • Options
    hmeisterhmeister Posts: 2,371
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't spend much more on it than they are at the moment, because with that comes the need for bigger audiences.

The house has always looked fantastic on C5, CBB has attracted lineups that compare favourably with the C4 era and bigger shows like I'm A Celebrity, and the exterior set looks good but could do with a revamp at some stage. The only area that's notably been weak is tasks but it's something you probably don't have to spend the earth on anyway and a lack of good ideas for tasks has been a bigger issue.

I strongly dislike the house designs since it moved to Channel 5, they just don't look right and add the trashy direction that Channel 5 have taken it. The Diary Rooms are also abysmal.

The current house is just rancid. What's with that horrible living area?

The exterior is just awful too and the stage should only be used during the final.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Casting wise on CBB IMO is better than the last few of Ch4. For example, the casts of CBB9, CBB10 and CBB13 were miles better than the casts of CBB5-CBB7 I think. Well in overall names and quality of house mate. It's the house mate in civilian BB which I think is lacking, BB14 for me and for others is considered a best and is comparable to Ch4 pre BB9. They tried to repeat it this year as Veri said, but didn't do as well.

But anyway, I reckon had the World Cup been on last year, BB14 would have attracted similar figures to this year. BB and TV in general has been lost against that; the soaps are really struggling at the moment too.

I'd like to see how IAC would rate against the World Cup, with a more casual audience that has, it probably would lose more audience than BB in relation to %; hence why IAC is never on against any match, even friendly matches. They take IAC off air the same night to make room for football, but it would probably slip sub 6m.

Last night was a step in the right direction ratings wise for sure, 1.4m was the average sort of rating BB14 was getting (1.48m to be specific in overnights), but it will drop tonight and tomorrow because of the matches, but hopefully be up on Thurs and Friday. Sunday will be messy, extremely messy.

Next Monday will be interesting, following Benefits and with the promo, they are probably expecting 1.5m+ which would be on the high side of what BB14 was getting for highlight shows.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Salv* wrote: »
    Next Monday will be interesting, following Benefits and with the promo, they are probably expecting 1.5m+ which would be on the high side of what BB14 was getting for highlight shows.
    It would. And we can expect the discussion to be as heated as today if that happens. It's sad that any progress the show makes must act as a trigger for such unpleasantness. But it's not what many of the contributors here want to see and so I knew today would be like this when the figure dropped.

I'm proud of the fact that on the many occasions this series it's posted a bad number I've acknowledged it and sensibly discussed what it could mean for the show in the long term without allowing my personal views to cloud my judgement. Is it too much to ask for others to do the same?

Not everyone is guilty of it, of course.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    hmeister wrote: »
    I strongly dislike the house designs since it moved to Channel 5, they just don't look right and add the trashy direction that Channel 5 have taken it. The Diary Rooms are also abysmal.

Ooh, I love the current DR. I think this house was designed to be less comfortable than it has been in previous years but they clearly spent a fair bit on it as they have each and every year on C5. It's certainly never looked low budget to me on C5.

I know people get worked up about the limited structural changes but I can't say that really bothers me. As long as it feels unique compared to previous years, I'm happy.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 478
    Forum Member
    Let me stop you there, because it absolutely was. Prior to that night C5 had only topped 5M four times in its entire 14 year history, and not once in the decade prior.

Very clearly a freak rating. The stats don't lie.

For Channel 5, yes. Not for Big Brother. It was a long established show and only one channel down from where it used to be. People knew it was back on due to the campaign and decided to watch. It would have probably also got the same figure on Channel 4, as the two channels do have a similar sized audience, even if Channel 4 have hit higher highs in the past (including outside of BB).

If a brand new show had launched on Channel 5 with those ratings, I'd agree about it being a freak rating.
  • Options
    Tall PaulTall Paul Posts: 8,786
    Forum Member

The exterior is just awful too and the stage should only be used during the final.

And the eye for evictions is pointless as well as the eye interview area for evictees and the winner. Shows their a company that doesn't listen and goes ahead with whatever they want to do with it. Channel 5 have probably had the worst roster of diary room chairs, even channel 4 made a more conscientious effort in getting the house more presentable. :(

Channel 5 really have had a couldn't care less attitude of how the house looks and that. Even Emma Willis who I had high hopes for has turned into a bland woman devoid of charisma and her eviction interviews are passionless and boring. :(

Its really sad that bb has had so much potential of firing all cylinders on channel 5 and not really delivered. :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    JFoster1 wrote: »
    For Channel 5, yes. Not for Big Brother. It was a long established show and only one channel down from where it used to be. People knew it was back on due to the campaign and decided to watch. It would have probably also got the same figure on Channel 4.

If a brand new show had launched on Channel 5 with those ratings, I'd agree about it being a freak rating.
    It doesn't matter how many channels down it is. C4 has been around for longer, has more of a history and reaches literally millions more viewers in a given week, and ditto ITV compared to C4.

Established show or not, there's a ratings ceiling on C5 and CBB made contact with that very top end in January. Even their highest rated output can only perform so well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What age group is the show actually aimed at now?

I'm 22 and the show moved to 5 when I was 18 so it doesn't appeal to me anymore. I don't know anyone my age or around my age who watches it anymore.

I was very young when I started watching in Big Brother 5 and back then it really appealed to me. Channel 5 are obviously trying to aim it at a certain type of person and not a specific age group, maybe the people who have the brain cells of Joey Essex.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'm 22 and the show moved to 5 when I was 18 so it doesn't appeal to me anymore. I don't know anyone my age or around my age who watches it anymore.

I was very young when I started watching in Big Brother 5 and back then it really appealed to me. Channel 5 are obviously trying to aim it at a certain type of person and not a specific age group, maybe the people who have the brain cells of Joey Essex.

Pretty sure the average age nowadays is like 16. Apart from my Dad and my older cousin, I don't know anyone over 30 who watches BB, however know a lot of older people who watch CBB.
  • Options
    happybbfanhappybbfan Posts: 5,375
    Forum Member

If you are struggling at 22 to watch BB atm then i don't stand a chance at 46
  • Options
    Soulrebel1980Soulrebel1980 Posts: 5,333
    Forum Member
    I'm heading off to the glue factory then.......;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Salv* wrote: »
    Pretty sure the average age nowadays is like 16. Apart from my Dad and my older cousin, I don't know anyone over 30 who watches BB, however know a lot of older people who watch CBB.

The 16 year olds around here don't watch much TV. They're either out with their friends or they watch Hollyoaks, Geordie Shore (Not TOWIE) and Game Of Thrones.

I was 12 when I started watching so it wasn't aimed at me whatsoever but it did appeal to me until BB11 when I was 17 or 18.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BB held up extremely well against the match which got 11.5m and a peak of 14m :eek:
    It got 1.1m incl +1 apparently making it 3rd in the slot, beaten by the match and the ITV news which only got 1.8m. CH5 actually showed its viewer loyalty losing the least of all channels...

Against the football...

ITV (+1 in brackets)
    Love Your Garden - 2.7m (2,8m)
    Benidorm - 1.4m (1.5m)
    News at Ten - 1.7m (1.8m)
    Piers Morgan Life Stories - 700k (800k)

BBC2
    University Challenge - 1.4m
    Shopgirls - 1.2m
    Best of Sarah Millican - 700k
    Newsnight - 400k

C4
    Kirsty's Fill Your House For Free 1.3m (1.5m)
    Beauty Queen or Bust - 600k (700k)
    Ramseys Kitchen Nightmares - 500k (700k)

C5
    Dog Rescuers - 1.2m (1.3m)
    CSI - 1.1m (1.2m)
    BB - 1m (1.1m)
  • Options
    Leathertrouser2Leathertrouser2 Posts: 412
    Forum Member

The house has not always looked fantastic on Channel 5 dear and they never have. They try to look other houses from around the world unlike Channel 4 who had a bit of an imagination.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    That's OK for last night. Same as the rating it got last Tuesday except against a match that averaged nearly 12M viewers. Obviously it needs to be doing better than that ordinarily, but it easily could have suffered more than that last night when you look at what happened to Channel 4's output.
    The house has not always looked fantastic on Channel 5 dear and they never have. They try to look other houses from around the world unlike Channel 4 who had a bit of an imagination.
    OK. Well in my opinion which I'm entitled to express without being shot down they've done a great job with the interiors in the C5 era. No need for the "dear" thank you.
  • Options
    Leathertrouser2Leathertrouser2 Posts: 412
    Forum Member
    That's OK for last night. Same as the rating it got last Tuesday except against a match that averaged nearly 12M viewers. Obviously it needs to be doing better than that ordinarily, but it easily could have suffered more than that last night when you look at what happened to Channel 4's output.

OK. Well in my opinion which I'm entitled to express without being shot down they've done a great job with the interiors in the C5 era. No need for the "dear" thank you.

Boring, same ol' "oh well I am entitled to my opinion or I might cry". Here's the boring bit back for you darling, my opinion remains the same to! Bah GAWD!
  • Options
    happybbfanhappybbfan Posts: 5,375
    Forum Member
    Big Brother entertained 1.09m (5.0%) at 10pm.
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's treading water.

Now for Armageddon and no football clashes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think that it's decent considering. The audience has been static despite the world cup semis. With +1 it's around 1.15m I would predict. It was up 60k on the night before excl +1.

Tonight around 1.3m? Have a feeling that Friday will be the highest rated eviction (around 1.4m).