Options

Desperate Romantics - BBC2 Starting 21 July

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,259
    Forum Member
    Surprisingly I thought this was very entertaining. I will definitley be watching tonight, really enjoyed the first episode. As people have mentioned its similar in tone to Casanova, which I like. :)
  • Options
    roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nookie in HD, but did they really meet Charles Dickens?
  • Options
    katkimkatkim Posts: 10,271
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    roddydogs wrote: »
    did they really meet Charles Dickens?

Yeah, Charles Dickens reviewed some of their exhibitions. I think Millais bore the brunt of his cristicisms with his religious paintings.
  • Options
    RrosesRroses Posts: 1,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The criticism of the Millais young Christ painting that was spoken in the episode was originally written in a review by Dickens - he was originally a great critic but seemed to make up with Mallais later in life.
  • Options
    AbrielAbriel Posts: 8,525
    Forum Member
    katkim wrote: »
    Yeah, Charles Dickens reviewed some of their exhibitions. I think Millais bore the brunt of his cristicisms with his religious paintings.

Had a look at the BBC guide to the actual paintings(get me being all cultured). Intersting -audio commnetary only about 3-4minutes, about each featured painting. Worth a listen if like me you know nothing about the art or the era.

Dickens was very rude about the poor woman who posed as the Virgin Mary, she was millais's sister in law IIRC.
  • Options
    BuddyBontheNetBuddyBontheNet Posts: 28,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watched the second episode and still enjoying it - I love the recurring theme music! :D
  • Options
    lotty27lotty27 Posts: 17,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Excellent programme IMO :) I think I actually enjoyed the 2nd episode more than the first.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,679
    Forum Member
    I really enjoyed the second episode too, and as TykeLass said last week they do appear to be telling their stories faithfully. Not that I'm an expert - I've just been reading about them since the series started!
  • Options
    snaithgsnaithg Posts: 1,210
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just got around to watching the second episode:

Absolutely Love the music! :):):)

Excellent series, keep it up BBC.

Graham.
  • Options
    RollerbabeRollerbabe Posts: 207
    Forum Member
    Just caught up with ep 2. on iplayer.
    Enjoyed this episode. Especially loving Aidan Turner as the charming Rossetti. Strangely, also find Millais endearing. It's really prompted me to learn more about the artists and their works. The Desperate Romantics website as mentioned earlier in the thread has some Expert Commentary about the paintings which is interesting to listen to.
    Also Aidan Turner reading a sonnet by Rossetti makes me swoon. Did I mention I liked Aidan Turner?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TykeLass wrote: »
    Being an admirer of the Pre-Raphaelite artists but not knowing much about them, I had to watch this. I found it very enjoyable, wasn't expecting it to be so humerous. It also reminded me of Casanova. I watched the 3 recent BBC4 documentaries on the PRB (which were excellent - if they're repeated make sure you watch them) and it does seem that at least they are trying to be historically accurate in this production. Will definitely be watching the rest of the series. The BBC have set up a website for the programme and you can look at some of the paintings in more detail http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00lvyq2

I'm really enjoying the series. I got interested in the subject after watching the excellent BBC 4 documentay quoted by TykeLass. Before that I had no real interest in the subject, thinking they were all about that cloying Victorian Pears Soap type stuff.

The series is being repeated, first part tonight at 10pm on BBC4. It's highly recommended. Really informative and only 30 mins!
  • Options
    snaithgsnaithg Posts: 1,210
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scrimmidge wrote: »
    I'm really enjoying the series. I got interested in the subject after watching the excellent BBC 4 documentay quoted by TykeLass. Before that I had no real interest in the subject, thinking they were all about that cloying Victorian Pears Soap type stuff.

The series is being repeated, first part tonight at 10pm on BBC4. It's highly recommended. Really informative and only 30 mins!

Thanks Scrimmidge, I was hoping it would be repeated. :)

Graham.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just had to pop on here to say tonight's episode is hilarious!:D

I'm going rapidly off Gabriel though!
  • Options
    Froggie72Froggie72 Posts: 5,733
    Forum Member
    Same here... I was disappointed in the first episode by the lack of "depth", but now I'm just enjoying the romping!! Tonight's episode was very funny! :D Looks like it's going to be even worse next week! Millais and Effie were great. She reminds me of Kate Winslet somehow.. :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Froggie72 wrote: »
    Same here... I was disappointed in the first episode by the lack of "depth", but now I'm just enjoying the romping!! Tonight's episode was very funny! :D Looks like it's going to be even worse next week! Millais and Effie were great. She reminds me of Kate Winslet somehow.. :p

I agree Millais and Effie were superb!:D

It gets better every week and next week looks just as hilarious!:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    some very funny lines tonight, but also some touching parts. Was Gabriel really such a cad?

Scrimmidge thanks for the heads up on the documentary, interesting though hard to watch without seeing the DS boys.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Abriel wrote: »
    some very funny lines tonight, but also some touching parts. Was Gabriel really such a cad?

Scrimmidge thanks for the heads up on the documentary, interesting though hard to watch without seeing the DS boys.

I was hoping the documentary might throw some light on their real characters.
  • Options
    katkimkatkim Posts: 10,271
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another cracking episode. Millais is a sweetie. I liked Lizzie's compassion for Effie too, it sort of added a little bit of seriousness to the Millais and Effie's situation and how it could have ended up horribly. And the virginity test :eek:

Didn't like Rossetti in this episode, but I think he might redeem himself once he gets his masterpieces underway.
  • Options
    gurney-sladegurney-slade Posts: 29,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if he actually used the communal condom. :eek:
  • Options
    SmintSmint Posts: 4,700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if he actually used the communal condom. :eek:

Oh Dear God! But I loved Rosetti's comment that Millais should wash it afterwards . . . and probably before :D

Really enjoying this series - looking forward to Rosetti getting into his painting stride
  • Options
    TiffanyThorneTiffanyThorne Posts: 960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I enjoyed this week's episode very much and it made me curious about what really happened. As I work in a library I looked for a biography about Ruskin- we didn't have one on the shelf but I did find a biography of Milliais. Apparently the writers of DS took a few liberties with the facts: Effie did pose for the painting about the Scottish woman obtaining her husband's release. But Effie and Milllais didn't fall in love until Millais joined Effie and Ruskin on a trip to Scotland which took place after the painting was completed. According to the biography Ruskin may have encouraged the romance by allowing Effie and Millais to take long walks through the countryside together. The biography quoted several letters written by Effie and suggested that she didn't mind that Ruskin never consummated their marriage - until she fell in love with Millais. It was then that she started to put pressure on Ruskin by quoting the Bible about a husband's duties to his wife. Most of the details in DS were accurate and I recognized a lot of the dialogue from the historical documents quoted in the biography. Three cheers to the DS writers- they made the events a little more colourful but very entertaining.:) The biography's account of the end of the Ruskins' marriage and the annulment was actually rather flat :p There was a controversy over whether Ruskin destroyed several sketches by Turner because of their erotic nature, but a few years ago the sketches turned up in an archive. The sketches that Ruskin kept hidden in his desk in DS must be an allusion to this controversy. Apparently because of the annulment Effie wasn't invited to many society events - she wasn't allowed to be present at an event attended by the Queen until very late in her life, when the Queen relented. Poor Effie.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,679
    Forum Member
    Smint wrote: »
    Oh Dear God! But I loved Rosetti's comment that Millais should wash it afterwards . . . and probably before :D
    That really made me laugh too.
    Really enjoying this series - looking forward to Rosetti getting into his painting stride

Same here, on both counts. As Abriel said I wondered whether Rosetti was really as bad as they're portraying (eek, no pun intended :D). If he wasn't so damn dishy I might not like him. ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So looking forward to tonight's episode! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    great fun tonight, Aiden with his top off!:D:o, not looking too good for the boys next week, is it?
  • Options
    Gill PGill P Posts: 21,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apparently Effie and Millais went on to have eight children! He was the genius among the Brotherhood. Fred is a made up character.