Options

Doc Martin (Part 14 — Spoilers)

Comments

• Options
    Shop GirlShop Girl Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    S3 wardrobe and locations have been uploaded.

Martin has now worn 30 different ties (5 new ones in S3).

A couple exciting things:

1. The route Martin takes while chasing Sam
    2. Proof that the interiors (intermission) were filmed at Pencarrow House
    3. The path where Martin takes Louisa's hand and then she pulls him into the trees (I'm about 90% sure about this)
    4. The location of the Sawle sisters' house
    5. Martin & Louisa's wedding church - exterior and interior were shot in different churches - many towns & miles apart

Oh - and one other thing. I said that the red bedroom is not at White Rose Cottage. After much study, I've changed my mind. I think it WAS filmed there, but the room is on the back of the house instead of in the front where the camera would lead you to believe in the opening shot of E6.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/35584579@N00/sets
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mmDerdekea wrote: »
    That is what DM was trying to initiate. Take a small forward simple step.

First Be Nice, just because he can, and then, perhaps in the future he would have wanted to be nice. Imagine how much he might have continued to do so, if LG had given him the SLIGHTEST positive support. If she had been supportive and praised him, it's likely he would have continued, seen changes in others, perhaps, and then started liking it.

But, with her immediate criticism, DM immediately gave up even trying to be nice. And, we could see he was very frustrated with her at that time. She wanted him to change, but wanted huge leaps no human could do, and did not appreciate the small ones he tried.

This is good. When upstairs talking to Holly, it was funny how he was trying, but couldn't restrain himself for the entire conversation. But he did get right back and attempt to recover the "happy talk". I guess when originally watching I thought he was just doing it to prove a point to Louisa, but on further reflection, he did it with Mrs Lamb too with no one else around to witness.

I think in Louisa's defense, she was very confused about what was happening with Martin that morning. They were both very fragile and uncertain around each other and I just think she didnt know what to think.
  • Options
    SusieSagitariusSusieSagitarius Posts: 1,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LG was fed up with Holly, and her constant harsh complaining, and yet was trying to be nice, because yes, she thought she should be nice. I agree.

But, to expect DM to take that large a leap is not fair to our dear problematic doc.

For DM to just suddenly want to be nice to people because he liked them, and deeply wanted to be nice, was a crazy expectation by LG.

I think of the Jews at Mount Sinai; they told G-d after getting the commandments that they will Do, and then they will Learn. That is, they will first follow the commandments and by doing them, they will begin learning the meaning and experiencing the connection to G-d it brings.

First Be Nice, just because he can, and then, perhaps in the future he would have wanted to be nice. Imagine how much he might have continued to do so, if LG had given him the SLIGHTEST positive support. If she had been supportive and praised him, it's likely he would have continued, seen changes in others, perhaps, and then started liking it.

But, with her immediate criticism, DM immediately gave up even trying to be nice. And, we could see he was very frustrated with her at that time. She wanted him to change, but wanted huge leaps no human could do, and did not appreciate the small ones he tried.

Like with the godfather episode. In that regard, I think he began to see she could not make him happy, be supportive of him. That perhaps she wanted immediately more of him than he could give and she could not support the small steps he attempted.

Like, like, like this analysis!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cc.cookie wrote: »
    I think the godfather question was definitely the turning point in their decision making. DM would not have agreed to be godfather if he hadn't wanted to be so LG's assumption that he didn't want to be godfather was preemptive and wrong. She's pre-guessed him on a number of occasions but never pre-judged him like this before, that I remember. So he can see she can't make him happy if she's going to be like this.

He was disappointed in her reaction and maybe realises she'll never understand him or allow him to change. So he'll never make her happy no matter what he does.

But, even though he might realise she won't make him happy I don't understand why they made a point of putting it in at the end when the vicar emphasised that the important thing was "will I make her happy?".

Also I agree with you NewPark that the whole episode was emphasising how LG wouldn't be happy and hadn't foreshadowed him thinking he wasn't going to be happy.Except I suppose when he was talking to the vicar and that was what was on his mind.

cc.cookie, I'll address your question (in bold) above as best as I can. I think it is there at the end because it shows that DM had logically put 2 and 2 together, and realized that "making happy" is a two-way street. In other words, if he should ask himself "do I make her happy?" then Louisa should be asking herself the same "do I make him happy? And the answer to both is "no" in his mind by then. So the conversation reflects that and then puts them both on the same level playing field of each having decided to not go on with the wedding.

And what a wonderful discussion all of you have brought out on this episode. Thanks for broadening my insights into it.
  • Options
    NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think one of the most poignant moments in this episode was when Louisa called Martin to ask if he would see Holly, and then she mentions the wedding later that afternoon. He says, "I ......look forward to it." And Louisa is shown waiting hopefully for some word of affection from him, which he is unable to give. I think this is a pivotal point in her decision-making process. And it almost looks like he recognizes that she wants something else from him at that point that he can't bring himself to give.

I guess I think that it is appropriate for her to recognize that her needs for affection and warmth are not being met by Martin. At this point, she probably believes that he cannot change, which is a mis-estimation and indeed unfair to him, but sadly, I think he believes that too.

There's a sweet short fanfic called A Christmas Interlude which is set in the Christmas after the non-wedding. It explores a little what Martin might have meant when he said she wouldn't make him happy,.
  • Options
    mmDerdekeammDerdekea Posts: 1,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deleted comment as I'm tired, I got confused, and it was repetitive! Time for bed! :o:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NewPark wrote: »
    I think one of the most poignant moments in this episode was when Louisa called Martin to ask if he would see Holly, and then she mentions the wedding later that afternoon. He says, "I ......look forward to it." And Louisa is shown waiting hopefully for some word of affection from him, which he is unable to give. I think this is a pivotal point in her decision-making process. And it almost looks like he recognizes that she wants something else from him at that point that he can't bring himself to give.

I guess I think that it is appropriate for her to recognize that her needs for affection and warmth are not being met by Martin. At this point, she probably believes that he cannot change, which is a mis-estimation and indeed unfair to him, but sadly, I think he believes that too...

Your comments made me look at that segment again, and I don't quite agree. First, I note that DM immediately softens his voice the second he realizes it is LG on the phone. They take care of the Isobel business. Then I see LG ask him how he is. He answers "with a patient". She immediately says what she always does when there's a medical emergency which is "Right, yep, see you later" without even the blink of an eye, knowing he must do his job.

When DM says "Yes, I..(DM's long pause, LG's wondering what he's going to say).....look forward to it", I see DM really trying to reach out to her but trying to be office-appropriate at the same time. I really don't sense any disappointment in LG. Her look is more just waiting for him to finish his sentence.

So now you have helped focus my attention on the patient afterwards and the talk about his Klinefelter's Syndrome prognosis. The language about choices, rest of your life, can't change it, how miserable you want to be, etc. etc. causes Doc a real moment of pause based on the look he gets on his face. At least that's the way it looks to me.

And yet again, this tight, everything counts style of writing for this show causes us to look, re-look, and look again trying to sort it all out. Wonderful!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 199
    Forum Member
    LG was fed up with Holly, and her constant harsh complaining, and yet was trying to be nice, because yes, she thought she should be nice. I agree.

But, to expect DM to take that large a leap is not fair to our dear problematic doc.

For DM to just suddenly want to be nice to people because he liked them, and deeply wanted to be nice, was a crazy expectation by LG.

I think of the Jews at Mount Sinai; they told G-d after getting the commandments that they will Do, and then they will Learn. That is, they will first follow the commandments and by doing them, they will begin learning the meaning and experiencing the connection to G-d it brings.

Like with the godfather episode. In that regard, I think he began to see she could not make him happy, be supportive of him. That perhaps she wanted immediately more of him than he could give and she could not support the small steps he attempted.

BINGO! We have a winner!

If the two people we saw up to that episode and the one preceeding it had gotten married the only thing that would have been more henpecked would be the food that Autie Joan gave her chickens every morning. Not a recipe for success.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just realized I am missing the drumbeat of DM fan fiction these days - and, particularly, those stories with romance or sex. Seems to me the storyline of the last two series coupled with the long wait between series has dampened the fire in DM writers. The inspiration seems to be gone, and it's not surprising. (Here's where I insert a huge asterisk: thanks to several excellent writers, many on this forum, who have contributed mightily to the DM story and the romance/sex [yes, I do know they are not the same thing!]) I'm so grateful to those who've taken their time to write. I do hope the higher profile of DM/MC during filming will bring back some former writers and inspire those who are new! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Your comments made me look at that segment again, and I don't quite agree. First, I note that DM immediately softens his voice the second he realizes it is LG on the phone. They take care of the Isobel business. Then I see LG ask him how he is. He answers "with a patient". She immediately says what she always does when there's a medical emergency which is "Right, yep, see you later" without even the blink of an eye, knowing he must do his job.

When DM says "Yes, I..(DM's long pause, LG's wondering what he's going to say).....look forward to it", I see DM really trying to reach out to her but trying to be office-appropriate at the same time. I really don't sense any disappointment in LG. Her look is more just waiting for him to finish his sentence.

So now you have helped focus my attention on the patient afterwards and the talk about his Klinefelter's Syndrome prognosis. The language about choices, rest of your life, can't change it, how miserable you want to be, etc. etc. causes Doc a real moment of pause based on the look he gets on his face. At least that's the way it looks to me.

And yet again, this tight, everything counts style of writing for this show causes us to look, re-look, and look again trying to sort it all out. Wonderful!

Re the Klinefelter's scene: I had assumed that in that scene, Martin was thinking of himself and how it would feel to be in a situation where HE couldn't change and someone else wanted him to. But it suddenly occurred to me to wonder if he wasn't more likely to have been thinking of Louisa, and how she would feel being married to someone who was fundamentally flawed and couldn't change, while she had only the choice of either trying to change him and making herself miserable, or living with it and being miserable.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 340
    Forum Member

In again thinking about it, Martin got asked the important question that Louisa did not. The vicar's question and answer about making the other happy let DM see both sides of the equation. None of what happened to Louisa that day put her on the other side.

Louisa was only seeing how he would not make her happy, hence her surprise at his comment at the end. With every event all day, only DM was challenged in his capabilities and his beliefs. Louisa, as we saw with her frustration, was only getting snarky comments about Martin.

Ultimately they both learned from their experiences all day, I just really thought he learned more. No one gave either of them any but the smallest glimmer of hope but I felt Martin's decision was based on greater self awareness than hers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    James Henry Glasson

Since we won't get around to S5 rewatch for quite a while I have a question about British paternity law -

Do you think LG put DMs name on the birth certificate? And could the baby have had his surname although they weren't married? And what, if any, parental rights would DM have.

Watching W&M brought this question to mind as it comes up in that series that the father may not have any rights if the couple was unmarried and gets emphasized quite a bit. Of course, as we know, Cornish problems require Cornish solutions and maybe this isn't an issue.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    James Henry Glasson, Part 2

A little research shows that the parental issue might be solved with the registration of the birth - if that is the same as registering a name (?)

A mother automatically has parental responsibility for her child from birth but the unmarried father also has parental responsibility in many cases. In England and Wales, the father has responsibility if he jointly registered the birth with the mother, if he signs a parental responsibility agreement with the mother or if a parental responsibility order is made by a local family court. Even without parental responsibility, a father has the legal obligation to provide financially for his children.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Excellent analysis. Thanks, Mona.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cc.cookie, I'll address your question (in bold) above as best as I can. I think it is there at the end because it shows that DM had logically put 2 and 2 together, and realized that "making happy" is a two-way street. In other words, if he should ask himself "do I make her happy?" then Louisa should be asking herself the same "do I make him happy? And the answer to both is "no" in his mind by then. So the conversation reflects that and then puts them both on the same level playing field of each having decided to not go on with the wedding.

And what a wonderful discussion all of you have brought out on this episode. Thanks for broadening my insights into it.

Thanks SusieS. I second the last paragraph! :cool::cool::cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She doesn't give too many interviews, but I have a distinct memory of one that appeared shortly after S3 aired, in which she talked about the non-wedding and how upset everyone was, including the other parents at her daughter's nursery school. She was wearing her hair up, something white,and very high heels. I cannot now find this interview, but in it she talks about why Louisa decided not to go through with the wedding and defends it as a matter of principle. Does anyone else (ConnieJ) remember this interview or can cite it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dmbesotted wrote: »
    James Henry Glasson, Part 2

A little research shows that the parental issue might be solved with the registration of the birth - if that is the same as registering a name (?)

A mother automatically has parental responsibility for her child from birth but the unmarried father also has parental responsibility in many cases. In England and Wales, the father has responsibility if he jointly registered the birth with the mother, if he signs a parental responsibility agreement with the mother or if a parental responsibility order is made by a local family court. Even without parental responsibility, a father has the legal obligation to provide financially for his children.

I think, in earlier discussion, it was worked out that in the UK an unmarried mother gets to choose the babies surname.
    Yes, you register the name automatically when you register the birth.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    And back to bedrooms and beds

Was watching S5 last night and the bed after they move back to the surgery is not the bed from Louisa's house in that series (metal frame) Someone mentioned that they thought it might belong to Dr. Dibbs as all the other furniture. I just cannot imagine DM sleeping in HER bed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    cc.cookie wrote: »
    I think, in earlier discussion, it was worked out that in the UK an unmarried mother gets to choose the babies surname.
    Yes, you register the name automatically when you register the birth.

I will have to watch again, does Mrs T call the baby Master Ellingham before or after they register the name? Because that is where Louisa corrects her and says he is Master Glasson. I think it is before the name episode. And after that, there is no reference to his surname again, only to James Henry.

Sorry, although I have browsed some earlier forums, I only joined this year and don't recall this issue.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Shop Girl wrote: »
    S3 wardrobe and locations have been uploaded.

Martin has now worn 30 different ties (5 new ones in S3).

A couple exciting things:

1. The route Martin takes while chasing Sam
    2. Proof that the interiors (intermission) were filmed at Pencarrow House
    3. The path where Martin takes Louisa's hand and then she pulls him into the trees (I'm about 90% sure about this)
    4. The location of the Sawle sisters' house
    5. Martin & Louisa's wedding church - exterior and interior were shot in different churches - many towns & miles apart

Oh - and one other thing. I said that the red bedroom is not at White Rose Cottage. After much study, I've changed my mind. I think it WAS filmed there, but the room is on the back of the house instead of in the front where the camera would lead you to believe in the opening shot of E6.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/35584579@N00/sets

Shed in S4
    Is that small shed where DM listens to the tapes actually at the back (or side) of the surgery? There appears to be steps and a railing - very visible in the Dr Dibbs episode in S5 - but that shed does not seem to be visible. In some scenes it almost appears that a roofline is visible above the foliage/bushes to the side and above the car park but I don't recall it on any of your location shots.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dmbesotted wrote: »
    In again thinking about it, Martin got asked the important question that Louisa did not. The vicar's question and answer about making the other happy let DM see both sides of the equation. None of what happened to Louisa that day put her on the other side.

Louisa was only seeing how he would not make her happy, hence her surprise at his comment at the end. With every event all day, only DM was challenged in his capabilities and his beliefs. Louisa, as we saw with her frustration, was only getting snarky comments about Martin.

I just finished my rewatch of the episode taking in consideration all of the excellent discussion of the past few days. I think this episode had SO much stuff packed into it that you really didn't see with just a casual viewing of the episode. I remember watching it the first time and just so anxious to get to the actual wedding ceremony that I missed so much. Everyone skewered Jack Lothian over this episode, but now that we have gone back to analyze it, I think he wrote an amazingly nuanced episode that seems to have gotten the most new insights so far in our rewatch. And the decision that they would not marry was surely not his, but BP's. I think we all now agree, in hindsight, that it was the correct decision for the characters and the show itself.

Anyway, I just have two things to add

1. One of the funniest parts of the episode is when the vicar falls and breaks his hip. Martin, being the excellent doctor that he is, immediately diagnoses the problem. When the vicar asks about an ambulance, you can see the wheels start spinning in Martin's head. He then tries to help him up saying, "Maybe it's not as bad as it seems!" That is SO opposite of what Martin would have done in any other situation. It was almost like slapstick comedy and I had to laugh at Martin putting his desire to make this wedding happen ahead of his professional standard of care. As someone said, he was on a quest that day.

2. I had not noticed this before, but Isobel actually mirrors the question that Mr Porter put to Martin. When she and Louisa are sitting on the bench, she says, "You found someone who makes you happy...and who you make happy." She then talks about not settling because you just end up with two miserable people. So, although it wasn't a direct question as it was to Martin, the thought is put into her head less than an hour before she is due at the church.

All in all, a brilliant episode from the much maligned Jack Lohian!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 199
    Forum Member
    *deleted my post-question was already answered. Need coffee...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    When did Doc Martin come to the US market?

'Scuse me, I am having one of those 'just wondering' days.

I watch a lot of PBS and have 2 stations in our market and we only got DM this last fall. And we aren't even half way through S1. Just wondered when some of the other US viewers got it in their areas.

It is hard to turn on a PBS station without seeing DT-freakin'-Abbey and that seems to be running concurrently - maybe because it is Masterpiece Theater.

But Call the Midwife also seemed to be concurrent in UK and US. Other series - DCI Banks - which is now running are only 2 seasons behind.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes, she did. He was present at James Henry's registration and by law the only way a father who is not married to the mother can be registered as the father is by his being physically present when the chid is registered. Otherwise a woman could say anyone is the father and put him on the hook legally for child support which would cost him alot in court costs to disprove.

Besides, I would imagine if Louisa refused Martin that honor at the registrar's office we would have heard an explosion louder than Krakatoa.

So the name registration is different than the birth registration, as the name was done by mail (or on-line) since DM did it without Louisa. And so it seems to me that if what you say is true, Louisa chose not to give the baby Martin's surname.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Shop Girl wrote: »
    I just finished my rewatch of the episode taking in consideration all of the excellent discussion of the past few days. I think this episode had SO much stuff packed into it that you really didn't see with just a casual viewing of the episode. I remember watching it the first time and just so anxious to get to the actual wedding ceremony that I missed so much. Everyone skewered Jack Lothian over this episode, but now that we have gone back to analyze it, I think he wrote an amazingly nuanced episode that seems to have gotten the most new insights so far in our rewatch. And the decision that they would not marry was surely not his, but BP's. I think we all now agree, in hindsight, that it was the correct decision for the characters and the show itself.

Anyway, I just have two things to add

1. One of the funniest parts of the episode is when the vicar falls and breaks his hip. Martin, being the excellent doctor that he is, immediately diagnoses the problem. When the vicar asks about an ambulance, you can see the wheels start spinning in Martin's head. He then tries to help him up saying, "Maybe it's not as bad as it seems!" That is SO opposite of what Martin would have done in any other situation. It was almost like slapstick comedy and I had to laugh at Martin putting his desire to make this wedding happen ahead of his professional standard of care. As someone said, he was on a quest that day.

2. I had not noticed this before, but Isobel actually mirrors the question that Mr Porter put to Martin. When she and Louisa are sitting on the bench, she says, "You found someone who makes you happy...and who you make happy." She then talks about not settling because you just end up with two miserable people. So, although it wasn't a direct question as it was to Martin, the thought is put into her head less than an hour before she is due at the church.

All in all, a brilliant episode from the much maligned Jack Lohian!

I had forgotten that comment by Isobel. And you are right, but I still think it did not sink in to LG that she would not make him happy - she was so surprised by his comment.

There is a great fan fiction about how Isobel counsels Louisa to look at her own reactions and use her teachers background to move both herself and Martin along. Won't someone please have that discussion with her at the beginning of S6. Please, oh please.
This discussion has been closed.