The "All New" (Old) Gadget Show 2: The Re-Launch - Mondays @ 8pm on C5

Comments

• cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    boksbox wrote: »
    Well that's a fair swap I think Amy is a natural on TV and will do well.

Just as Rachel was getting into her groove she leaves. It's a shame.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The cynic in me wonders if there are other forces at work that have caused her to leave?

She's only been on the show a year and since it's one of C5's mainstays, she could certainly have had the job for many years to come as she's been somewhat of a revelation in what's basically her first ever presenting role.

And yes, she's as fit as buggery as well :D

Certainly willing to give Amy Williams a chance though, but Riley will be a huge loss to the show IMO.
  • boksboxboksbox Posts: 4,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The cynic in me wonders if there are other forces at work that have caused her to leave?

She's only been on the show a year and since it's one of C5's mainstays, she could certainly have had the job for many years to come as she's been somewhat of a revelation in what's basically her first ever presenting role.

And yes, she's as fit as buggery as well :D

Certainly willing to give Amy Williams a chance though, but Riley will be a huge loss to the show IMO.

I doubt it, her star is rising, she probably got a better offer on a more high profile show.
  • NoEntry2kNoEntry2k Posts: 14,985
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

To me it just sounds like Rachel Riley is getting bigger and better offers elsewhere. As the article says, she’s ‘hot property’ right now, so now that she’s proved herself as a competent presenter on The Gadget Show I suspect we’ll see her in a more high profile job very soon. Having only been on the show for a year it feels a bit like she just used the show as a bit of a shop window for her abilities to get a better job, but hey, that’s showbiz.
    To be honest my view of her changed a bit once she separated from her husband, I’m always a bit suspicious of people who are with their partners for years and then split as soon as they get famous, but I obviously don’t know the details so that’s a bit unfair.

I’ve never seen Amy Williams, but I look forward to seeing her on the programme. As long as they keep the format and Jason, Ortis and Jon, then the transition should be seamless.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah I do agree that her getting bigger and better offers is the most likely reason as she's clearly taken to presenting like the proverbial duck to water and is certainly attractive enough that she'll be offered a whole host of jobs.

Shame though.

Also agree that the format doesn't need to change either - they've certainly managed to find the right balance after the World Tour debacle so there's no need to tinker.
  • osrickosrick Posts: 25
    Forum Member
    That's TV baby. On the way up, bigger and better shows. On the way down, the jungle and cooking programmes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's just confirmed it on Twitter as well ..
  • bananaman_007bananaman_007 Posts: 8,707
    Forum Member
    Never seen or even heard of Amy Williams but have to say Rachel will be missed. I am not convinced her leaving is because she has a whole host of upcoming projects. She is still doing Countdown which we know she is only getting £200 a show for an can no doubt be tough to record so many shows in such a short period.
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Never seen or even heard of Amy Williams but have to say Rachel will be missed. I am not convinced her leaving is because she has a whole host of upcoming projects. She is still doing Countdown which we know she is only getting £200 a show for an can no doubt be tough to record so many shows in such a short period.

Yeah i'm with you on that one, if that was the case she would have left Countdown too.

Like you I have never heard of Amy Williams, is she even in to gadgets? or is she only there for the eye candy?
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Who told you she was only getting £200 a show?
  • Georges GrunGeorges Grun Posts: 957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is turning into the Sugababes of TV shows. Leaves, stays, comes back, leaves...
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    This is turning into the Sugababes of TV shows. Leaves, stays, comes back, leaves...

:D They should rename the show Eats, Shoots and Leaves.
  • bananaman_007bananaman_007 Posts: 8,707
    Forum Member
    Who told you she was only getting £200 a show?

At the ratings started to fall due to an earlier timeslot they were looking to cut costs it was widely reported that Carol was asked to take a 90% paycut and i think it was even her who said the cut would bean she would only pocket £200 a show.

While i don't know Rachel was/is getting the ratings continue to fall and when she was hired had no previous TV experience so can't imagine they would be paying more than they offered Carol who was a major part of the show.

The budget for Countdown when Carol left was then slashed by another 33% another indication Rachel is not earning mega bucks for her role
  • boksboxboksbox Posts: 4,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At the ratings started to fall due to an earlier timeslot they were looking to cut costs it was widely reported that Carol was asked to take a 90% paycut and i think it was even her who said the cut would bean she would only pocket £200 a show.

While i don't know Rachel was/is getting the ratings continue to fall and when she was hired had no previous TV experience so can't imagine they would be paying more than they offered Carol who was a major part of the show.

The budget for Countdown when Carol left was then slashed by another 33% another indication Rachel is not earning mega bucks for her role

Carol wanted £800K plus, the job that Rachel got was advertised at £100K
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 23,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I doubt the other stuff she does (corporate videos, mindsports) pays that well either.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rachel did say on Twitter she'd have loved to have stayed if the "week had 8/9 days" which seems to suggest she's involved in multiple projects, although I suppose you could read something in to the fact that she didn't actually mention anything along those lines. Something like "got lots of exciting projects coming up so stay tuned!" or something like that maybe ?

Maybe she didn't leave Countdown out of a sense of loyalty as it was the job that got her started in TV ?

Time will tell I suppose.
    Gormond wrote: »
    .. or is she only there for the eye candy?

Well in case you haven't googled her yet :)

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/02733/amy-williams0_2733641b.jpg
  • roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why a people saying "Rach" is great based on the fact that shes Fit & they fancy her?.
    Duck to water? more like fish out of water. The forced "Laddishness" is embarrising, then again they all suffer that.
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,652
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rachel will have been offered the BBC Breakfast gig now primadonna Reid has gone.

We can all find out now what it`s like to wake-up with Rachel Riley!! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Straker wrote: »
    We can all find out now what it`s like to wake-up with Rachel Riley!! :D

*snigger*
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 23,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rachel did say on Twitter she'd have loved to have stayed if the "week had 8/9 days" which seems to suggest she's involved in multiple projects, although I suppose you could read something in to the fact that she didn't actually mention anything along those lines. Something like "got lots of exciting projects coming up so stay tuned!" or something like that maybe ?

I thought she filmed countdown three days a week and the gadget show at weekends, definitely another job has come up somewhere.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dodrade wrote: »
    I thought she filmed the gadget show at weekends, and countdown three days a week, definitely another job has come up somewhere.

I think you're right because I remember when she was on strictly come dancing she was doing a lot of filming of the gadget show at the weekend.
  • carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,699
    Forum Member
    Straker wrote: »
    Rachel will have been offered the BBC Breakfast gig now primadonna Reid has gone.
    No she really hasn't :( Don't believe everything you read in the papers.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just in case anyone wasn't aware, the show is back on Monday the 15th at 7pm.

Be interesting to see how Amy Williams fits in.
  • ocavocav Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just in case anyone wasn't aware, the show is back on Monday the 15th at 7pm.

Be interesting to see how Amy Williams fits in.

I had the pleasure of working at North One short term when the old format existed (Jon, Jason, Suzi, Otis, & Polly) and Im really glad I wasn't there long, a lot of the crew who worked on the show before have apparently now left on their own accord because they weren't happy with the show.

Its slightly improved by returning it back to its old self but I think the "World Tour" concept has significantly reduced its credibility as the show to watch for all things technology.

Also someone should inform them that if you make a teaser with the words "and find out which sporting star is joining our team", then its best not to show that presenter in your preview clip... http://gadgetshow.channel5.com/gadget-show/videos/other/series-20-episode-1-teaser
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ocav wrote: »
    I had the pleasure of working at North One short term when the old format existed (Jon, Jason, Suzi, Otis, & Polly) and Im really glad I wasn't there long, a lot of the crew who worked on the show before have apparently now left on their own accord because they weren't happy with the show.

Its slightly improved by returning it back to its old self but I think the "World Tour" concept has significantly reduced its credibility as the show to watch for all things technology.

Also someone should inform them that if you make a teaser with the words "and find out which sporting star is joining our team", then its best not to show that presenter in your preview clip... http://gadgetshow.channel5.com/gadget-show/videos/other/series-20-episode-1-teaser

Hah!. Just watched the teaser and that is a bit of a Doh! moment :)

And you know you can't say anything even mildly negative about the World Tour on this thread .. he'll pay you a vist;)