Options

Study confirms cancers-family link

Just wondering what you guys think about this recent study on cancer and genetics. I read it this morning and I must admit I feel pretty depressed. :(

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-23431833

Comments

• Options
    Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought this was already widely known and accepted. :confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    I thought this was already widely known and accepted. :confused:

My thoughts exactly. It's nothing new is it?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 681
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

This study confirms that having a family history of one type of cancer increases your risk for developing other types of cancer.
  • Options
    jasvinyljasvinyl Posts: 14,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

This post doesn't really tally with the opening post you made...? The feeling depressed bit?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    jasvinyl wrote: »
    This post doesn't really tally with the opening post you made...? The feeling depressed bit?

Yes, sorry - should have explained myself a bit better. I have cancers on both sides of my family. Both parents, brothers and sisters, aunts and uncles. Reading the above article wasn't pleasant for me, as you can imagine, but I wanted to also find out what other people might think about the study itself.
  • Options
    jasvinyljasvinyl Posts: 14,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, sorry - should have explained myself a bit better. I have cancers on both sides of my family. Both parents, brothers and sisters, aunts and uncles. Reading the above article wasn't pleasant for me, as you can imagine, but I wanted to also find out what other people might think about the study itself.

Sorry to hear that.

I think the study is interesting in that it examines the potential for different cancers other than those suffered by relatives, lifestyle being highlighted alongside genetics as a potential reason as to why, which makes sense.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 681
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Sorry to hear that. Remember that risk is not the same as a foregone conclusion, and that since you seem to be well aware of your family's history you are able to be tested for potential genes if deemed necessary. I'd talk to your GP about it :)