American Horror Story: Freak Show US Pace (spoilers in tags please)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    I found the acting a bit wooden this week, particularly between Dandy Mott and Gloria Mott. Usually I think Francis Conroy is amazing at everything, but there's something about this role with her spoilt brat of a son that makes it seem unbelievable.

Also the clown has pretty much killed everyone he's encountered, yet gets in the car with Gloria and she survives, plus he gets locked in a room with Dandy, but only gives him a bump on the head? Too inconsistent.

Desiree Dupree's character just feels like it's for laughs. A three boobed hermaphrodite? What has the writers been smoking? Also Dell Toledo (the strongman) looks like he should lay off the pies a bit before he'd even be considered musclebound.

Elsa Mars trying to get Bette and Dot to turn on each other looks interesting though, but I agree with others who said the episode felt all over the place. I don't think Evan Peters is all that great of an actor to carry a show like this.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I loved it again and that clown is BLOODY SCARY in my opinion! I do agree though there is a danger of using too many songs and this becoming like a Glee thing, we will be getting soundtrack albums next :o
  • StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sootysoo wrote: »
    I found the acting a bit wooden this week, particularly between Dandy Mott and Gloria Mott. Usually I think Francis Conroy is amazing at everything, but there's something about this role with her spoilt brat of a son that makes it seem unbelievable.

Also the clown has pretty much killed everyone he's encountered, yet gets in the car with Gloria and she survives, plus he gets locked in a room with Dandy, but only gives him a bump on the head? Too inconsistent.

Desiree Dupree's character just feels like it's for laughs. A three boobed hermaphrodite? What has the writers been smoking? Also Dell Toledo (the strongman) looks like he should lay off the pies a bit before he'd even be considered musclebound.

Elsa Mars trying to get Bette and Dot to turn on each other looks interesting though, but I agree with others who said the episode felt all over the place. I don't think Evan Peters is all that great of an actor to carry a show like this.

It was very heavily stylised and I can see it wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea. It seems to be an extreme version of the acting style from the 40s & 50s with that peculiar way of talking some (great:o) actors had in some films. When contrasted with the more free flowing speach of the maid (and of the 'freaks') it added to the hard edge of the Mott scenes. Combined with the wide shots and big rooms with the actors looking small, the 'neatness', the harsh colours, the opulent sparsity - all made the scenes very harsh.

With the clown leaving them - it made sense to me in a warped way. If Twisty is the ultimate 'freak' Gloria and Dandy are very close on his heals. Kindred spirits? And they are so arrogant they have no fear of him. Twisty gets off on fear. I think Dandy freaks out Twisty!! Dandy is as much a 'monster' as Twisty but doesn't hide behind a mask. Unless that mask is wealth? Hmmm.

Giving myself a headache :D

Of course - its all very subjective but I'm enjoying :D
  • oathyoathy Posts: 32,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That'd work :D

But remember not to talk - communicate through the medium of shaking severed heads:D

hehe :D

apparently episode 2 dropped nearly 2 million
    and a clown group are saying Twisty is hurting business and increasing clown phobias :blush:
  • Margo ChanningMargo Channing Posts: 5,240
    Forum Member
    I can't stop thinking about the final scene :(
  • jo2015jo2015 Posts: 6,021
    Forum Member
    Took me a while to realise that the song sung by Paulson was 'Criminal' by Fiona Apple from back in the late nineties. Harmony vocals from conjoined twins!

The background music was fantastic and reminded me of the film 'Under the Skin'.
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not sure I'm feeling this series. I enjoyed EP1 but EP2 felt a bit flat and lacking to me. Not a fan of all the murdering that's going on either.. especially at the end of EP2. Was that really required? It all feels a bit too full of cheap gore and not enough horror. But perhaps it will sort itself out.

Oh and I agree with the comment above.. "strong man"? Couldn't they have found a 4 foot bodybuilder or something. That would have gone well with the taller three boobed woman.
  • AnachronyAnachrony Posts: 2,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also Dell Toledo (the strongman) looks like he should lay off the pies a bit before he'd even be considered musclebound.

Some of the olympic weightlifters are a little soft looking too. It's not so much about low little fat you have it's about how much muscle you have. Sometimes they have both, if the goal is to be strong rather than to look strong. It takes a lot of calories to maximize muscle growth.

That was even more true back in the old days. Athletic training and nutrition were far more primitive. If you look at some of the elite athletes and vintage circus strongmen from back then, most of them don't look anything remotely like a 21st century bodybuilder. Some of the guys they had performing feats of strength look almost like average dudes off the street, just slightly more barrel chested than average.

I'm not going to defend the casting, however. It is an odd choice. Michael Chiklis is just not that big of a guy, and it wouldn't exactly have been hard to find someone who is.
  • mr mugglesmr muggles Posts: 4,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think with AHS, it's a heavily stylised show made with its tongue firmly in its cheek!

It's always been OTT, which is one of the main reasons that I love it. Like another poster mentioned, the acting is 'artificial' or 'heightened' on purpose from certain supporting characters throughout the whole of AHS, take into account Frances Conroy,Leslie Jordan,Zach Quinto & the grand guignol turn from James Cromwell... Aside from being a horror series, its always been big on humour, albeit dark & twisted, I've always thought of them as being deliberate quirks.

I have to stand up for poor Evan Peters! He's had (imo) undue criticism from AHS since the beginning. I can't see anything wrong in any of his performances, aside from being under-written in Coven, due largely to being mainly mute. He was fantastic in Asylum & creepy as heck in the first series too, he's playing the str8 guy here for the others to rebound off, so unless he has some gr8 set pieces coming up, its natural that the others will have more space to shine.

If anyone deserves a little criticism, its Jessica Lange for playing variations on the same theme (this year with a Germanic accent - go on Lange - STRETCH yourself dear..!) But she still plays it so well anyway, I also think shes had Ryan Murphy wrapped round her fingers since her star turn in Asylum, hes alluded to this in interviews as hes such a fan of hers.

I love all the stuff with that clown, and its almost operatic sense of horror when hes in a scene! Its OTT in the best sense:D !

And as you can tell, I'm LOVIN' this series!:blush::)
  • dubgazdubgaz Posts: 2,908
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love this season so far. It certainly seems to be dividing opinion but its shaping up imo to be a great season.
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    I'm enjoying it but it's only two episodes so far, so it's hard to tell right now where it'll rank overall for me.
  • KevinessKeviness Posts: 2,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just want American Horror Story: Pepper to be honest
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I re watched the second episode.

The stand outs so far is Finn Whitrock and Frances Conroy.
    Evan Peters, however, is a big weak link and be dominated the episode.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    downtonfan wrote: »
    I re watched the second episode.

The stand outs so far is Finn Whitrock and Frances Conroy.
    Evan Peters, however, is a big weak link and be dominated the episode.

I really hope as the body count rises he isn't going to do a Seymour skinner "NOOOOOO" each time.
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    The song Jessica Lange will be singing in an upcoming episode is ...
    Gods & Monsters by Lana Del Rey. Love that song.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oh matron... I wont say anymore but I cant see marvel doing a film like that anytime soon..
    Forum Member
    Hated the latest episode. Hated it, hated it, hated it.

A Lana Del Rey song? In the 50's? Really?! What's next? A spice girls rendition by Bette and Dot, with the no legged lady as back up dancer?

I just have to watch every season to see the decline from season 1 for myself. Truly shockingly awful writing. These fantastic actors deserve more than this total and utter drivel.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

A Lana Del Rey song? In the 50's? Really?! What's next? A spice girls rendition by Bette and Dot, with the no legged lady as back up dancer?

I just have to watch every season to see the decline from season 1 for myself. Truly shockingly awful writing. These fantastic actors deserve more than this total and utter drivel.

nope wasn't good was it :(
  • anotherlongersanotherlongers Posts: 1,792
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Totally agree. I loved Season 1, and thought Asylum was even better, but season 3 was like watching Beverley Hills 90210 (or whatever the number is) and this new season is toe-curlingly bad. I'm clearly not the market they're aiming for, they seem to be after the Glee-club.
    Forum Member
    oathy wrote: »
    nope wasn't good was it :(

That's what AHS does though. Draws you in with high hopes and then cuts you dead with terrible writing. >:(:cry:
    Forum Member
    Totally agree. I loved Season 1, and thought Asylum was even better, but season 3 was like watching Beverley Hills 90210 (or whatever the number is) and this new season is toe-curlingly bad. I'm clearly not the market they're aiming for, they seem to be after the Glee-club.

I think maybe you're right there about the target audience being teeny boppers who aren't really up to speed with what era this is supposed to be, so throwing a song by a popular modern artist in won't throw them too much. I just find these little song numbers more than a little off putting. I suspect this isn't going to be the last song number we get either. :(
  • StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thoroughly enjoyed it. I did FF the song but that aside, I thought it was a great episode with some great scenes - especially the Angela Bassett /Michael Chiklis and Kathy Bates scenes with the doctor and with 'Edward Mordrake' - though I must admit his accent was pretty poor. I khow they were going for Authentic 19th C upper class English but it was more geographically unstable than KB's Baltimore.

I love the little one popping out of the pumpkin :D And love the relationship between her and the Amazon.

Twisty is starting to become scary - but not quite as scary as Dandy:o

And we have the set up for another story line with O'Hare and Roberts, both of whom I thought were excellent. I did laugh at the bit where 'Thor' took his trousers off - I guess he found his 'sword':o:D

Sootysoo - apparently there are 5 musical numbers so unless Murphy is fubbing (not unheard of) we only have two more to endure. Oh, and I can promise you I'm not a teenybopper:D
  • threecheesesthreecheeses Posts: 23,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I love the little one popping out of the pumpkin :D And love the relationship between her and the Amazon.

That sure was cute !

Bates accent is just making me laugh now when I hear it, it's all over the place.

I have to admit when we saw the back of the naked Viking I did a little bum pinch with my fingers.

A lotta nutters on the loose now !!

I wonder if what is hiding in Emma Robert's partner in crime's (sorry forgotten character's name) pants might get Chiklis going again.;-)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm disappointed in this season so far.

I'd like to respectfully ask Ryan Murphy to stop writing in songs for Jessica Lange to sing. She can act, she cannot sing.
    The plot lines are all over the place.
    Sarah Paulson, Finn Whitrock and Frances Conroy are the only bright spots.

Murder House, Asylum and Coven were far superior.