Options

Experience with iOS 8.1 on an iPad 2?

GetFrodoGetFrodo Posts: 1,805
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Has anyone tried this? How bad is the slow-down?

My friend has one on 5.something, I have an Air on 8.1 and we would like to FaceTime.

The options seem to be to (irreversibly) upgrade iOS or to upfrade the iPad. Are there other options?

TIA

Comments

• Options
    Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    GetFrodo wrote: »
    Has anyone tried this? How bad is the slow-down?

My friend has one on 5.something, I have an Air on 8.1 and we would like to FaceTime.

The options seem to be to (irreversibly) upgrade iOS or to upfrade the iPad. Are there other options?

TIA

Can't you Skype?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know I talked about other options, but here and now I am foremost interested in solutions involving FaceTime and our present hardware, in particular with regard to the extent of reported "performance issues" with iOS 8.1 on old hardware.

Thanks!
  • Options
    Mark SmithMark Smith Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GetFrodo asked me to expand on my experience with iOS8 on the iPad 2 so here I am.

I'm currently running version 8.0.2. I haven't updated to 8.1 yet because the (32GB) device is running quite low on free space. When I get the Air 2 I will go for the 64GB. It is slow, not so slow it's unusable but enough to try my limited patience at time, and it's no longer something I can really pick up to just quickly have a look or check something. I also have a SIM card with it but this now rarely works. It will work and I restart it for a while but then drop off again.

Once an app is loaded it's usually responsive enough, but Safari can be quite slow loading pages, much more so than before the update. I can't help with Facetime, I don't use it.

I'm not sure whether I will bother with the upgrade to 8.1 now. I'll be ordering the Air 2 in two weeks then I will probably wipe the ipad 2 and give it to my sister.

It might be worth backing up, factory resetting and then restoring to see if that improves things. This often seems to be a solution that works. I also have a Nexus 7 but I get tired of having to constantly charge it, the battery runs down fast even when not being used.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks Mark. Am soon off on holiday but will pass on your comments to my friend.
  • Options
    b.leverb.lever Posts: 1,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GetFrodo wrote: »
    Thanks Mark. Am soon off on holiday but will pass on your comments to my friend.

I folks since posting a few weeks ago have had the iPad air 2 .which had wi fi problems sent that back to JL .and replaced with Galaxy s 10.5 I think .i hate it screen is superb
    But the rest just anoyes me to laggy on some website .so that's going back to JL tomorrow .will order another iPad air 2 hopeing I get lucky . JL will be banning me for sending stuff back .

Keep posting .
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://arstechnica.com/apple/2014/11/ios-8-1-1-iphone-4s-and-ipad-2-a-little-faster-kind-of-sometimes
    That details it. Those extra seconds likely add up to higher Ram usage.

"iOS 8.1.1 does improve performance and stability under some circumstances, but it's helpful to know just how much work the iPhone 4S, iPad 2, and other Apple A5-based devices have to do to live within the confines of their 512MB of RAM."

Interestingly it also seems to tell you of the websites which max out Safari with just the 1 tab open. Just maybe IOS 7 or 6 could have done 2 tabs for those sites.
  • Options
    SupercellSupercell Posts: 5,079
    Forum Member
    I updated to 8.1.1 and my iPad 2 is running much better again now -this was even after tweaking the settings to try and improve things. The web browsing had just got ridiculously slow I was pondering the iPad air 2.... Which I suppose they want!