Who would make a good female super-hero for a new Marvel movie?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mantis
    by Joss Whedon and the Firefly team, but only if Steve Englehart (or at a pinch Roy Thomas) had complete story control.

Not only a big Avengers link, but a massive platform to introduce all sorts to the Marvel film canon and use others - The Kree/Skrull War, Kang, Thanos, Ultron, The Vision (who surely must get his own movie) ...

The mightiest weird science fiction film ever beckons. :)

I just hope I live long enough to see Peter Jackson do a Kree/Skrull War trilogy.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    Everyone loves superheroes
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 30
    Forum Member
    Problem with a lot of these suggestions is that Marvel can't really use mutant characters, as they currently don't have movie rights to them. So that would be down to 20th Century Fox to do.

Captain Marvel makes the most sense at the moment. Marvel are really pushing her as a major character in the comic, and she has strong links to the Avengers and her background has enough intergalactic stuff to make her fit nicely with the Guardians of the Galaxy.

I'd love to see a She Hulk TV show based on Dan SLott's old run.
    Squirrel Girl, played by Kristen Schaal.

YES!
  • td1983td1983 Posts: 2,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wonder Woman would, I'm surprised they haven't done her yet. But I understand she's in that new movie next year, though....
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Not Marvel or DC but how about a Dredd spin-off featuring Judge Anderson??
  • zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Verence wrote: »
    Not Marvel or DC but how about a Dredd spin-off featuring Judge Anderson??
    ^just as long as they don't make it a 3D movie. >:(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,440
    Forum Member
    Problem with a lot of these suggestions is that Marvel can't really use mutant characters, as they currently don't have movie rights to them. So that would be down to 20th Century Fox to do.

The fact that Quicksilver is in both the next X-men film (20th Century Fox) and the next Avengers film (Marvel Studios) shows that this isn't an issue. Whether it would be the same person playing the role in each film is an entirely different matter.

IMO they need to rethink if it's a good idea. Usually female led films don't do to well at the box office. People quote Aliens, but did people go to see Ripley or the Aliens? The same with Resident Evil and Underworld. They did decent-ish receipts at the box office but nothing close to $300m

Tomb Raider didn't do as well as expected. Tank Girl, Catwoman also bombed at the box office. Even in comic sales I don't think any female lead title has been a huge seller compared to the male led ones. The possible exception is Wonder Woman.

Years ago they did an experiment with kids aged 7-10. they showed them various films and TV shows. What they found is girls tended to stick with them regardless of whether the lead character was male or female. When it came to the boys, they watched when it was a male lead, but they became fidgety, distracted looking out the window or just went off and did something else (there were toys, comics and books in the room) when it was a female in the lead character role.

It does make you wonder if this continues as they get older. Aliens in the first, vampires/werewolves (Underworld) and zombies (Resident Evil)all cool. Does that attract them so they look past the fact the lead is a female? As long as there is lots of action, bullets, blood and explosions, I'll over look her.
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tomb Raider didn't do as well as expected. Tank Girl, Catwoman also bombed at the box office. Even in comic sales I don't think any female lead title has been a huge seller compared to the male led ones. The possible exception is Wonder Woman.

One of the main reasons that Catwoman bombed was that the totally ignored the character's history and invented a completely new civilian persona for her
  • zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^ also the Catwoman suit was just plain bad. Also that short hair cut they gave her ..... :o:(

and maybe the Tomb Raider series woulda taken off had not the 2nd movie sucked big time - the first one I really liked, being full of memorable moments - robot fight, bungy dance, house storming, bike whacking, tomb swing, multi header, rock puppies ... (sure I'm missing something) ... that big globe thingie and the dog sleigh. But No2, well I just didn't give a hoot about anyone. :(
  • Naa_KwaKaiNaa_KwaKai Posts: 1,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The problem with female superheroes is that they are written by men...who don't understand how to write women. They tend to fall into this trap of writing the storyline around the premise that she is a woman and don't bother to focus on the person itself or crafting a good storyline. They give her a female antagonist, or constantly reference gender politics or have the woman doing ridiculous things in order to make her sexy. Catwoman and Supergirl commit all these sins.

People have mentioned She-Hulk and Spider Woman...they would make TERRIBLE films because of their very premise - they are spin-offs of their male counterparts, created in comic canon to appeal specifically to female buyers. Why would you want a spin-off when you can have the original first rate version? Being a female version of a beloved male superhero does not justify making an entire film out of it. They need something other than the fact that they happen to have a vagina, otherwise what ends up happening is that the film won't go any deeper than it's premise.
    the lack of success for Catwoman and Elektra has to be part of the reason why studios are so reluctant to invest in these types of movies.

And yet Batman and Robin, Daredevil, Green Lantern, Hulk (2003), Wolverine Origins, Superman Returns - all panned by the critics and yet Hollywood continues to roll out male superhero films. But you make one bad female superhero movie and that's it.

One of the main reasons that Catwoman bombed was that the totally ignored the character's history and invented a completely new civilian persona for her

Yeah, she had no connection whatsoever to the Batman universe. The other reason is that the basis of the movie is to make Halle Berry "sexy" so they have her doing all stupid kind of things and spouting really cheesy one liners that it makes me blush to repeat. That's what happens when you try to make the film appeal to horny teenage boys rather than the general audience.
    The problem with Wonder Woman is other than being a hottie in a swimsuit she is nothing. Yes she has her invisible planne that you can't see just her sitting inside it (must look weird) and her lasso.
    I know she is supposed to have the strength, but unless it's on the same par as The Hulk, Thor, The Thing etc is nothing.

I'm watching Wonder Woman on TLC channel 125 on Sky. Ropey although Lynda Carter is hot. When you get to the action stuff it's bloody awful, she just throws people around or stops bullets with her wrist bands.

As I said a few posts back. Unless they change her completely and have her doing martial arts and thus being more like Black Widow and the like, her character is really hard to do as a film or IMO a TV series.

You've never read a Wonder Woman comic in your life, have you? She's an Amazonian Princess so she is skilled in martial arts and combat. You reference the Lynda Carter TV version. That was made in an era where women didn't have the same rights as men and they certainly wouldn't have her throw a punch as it wasn't an acceptable form of femininity. That show also falls prey to the "she's a woman so let's base absolutely everything around that"
  • 007Fusion007Fusion Posts: 3,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IMO they need to rethink if it's a good idea. Usually female led films don't do to well at the box office. People quote Aliens, but did people go to see Ripley or the Aliens? The same with Resident Evil and Underworld. They did decent-ish receipts at the box office but nothing close to $300m

I would say Sandra Bullock and Angelina Jolie are the exception in an action, fantasy genre. But yes, it remains an issue and is evident in the lack of successful female solo films. Just as a potential starter, i think Jennifer Lawrence could attract female and male viewers in the future to a female superhero.
    Years ago they did an experiment with kids aged 7-10. they showed them various films and TV shows. What they found is girls tended to stick with them regardless of whether the lead character was male or female. When it came to the boys, they watched when it was a male lead, but they became fidgety, distracted looking out the window or just went off and did something else (there were toys, comics and books in the room) when it was a female in the lead character role.

It does make you wonder if this continues as they get older. Aliens in the first, vampires/werewolves (Underworld) and zombies (Resident Evil)all cool. Does that attract them so they look past the fact the lead is a female? As long as there is lots of action, bullets, blood and explosions, I'll over look her.

Conditioning. I can imagine some men (or boys) are not accepting of a brazen female, who has no attachment to a man or male guide. Those perceived differences in men and women, for some, don't equate to equality.
  • geemonkeegeemonkee Posts: 2,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gotta be She-Hulk - scary and yet sexy as hell at the same time...
  • Ultra MagnusUltra Magnus Posts: 2,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Usually female led films don't do to well at the box office.

If we're talking action/ big blockbuster types - the evidence suggests that is the rule. However, for a recent example that is the exception - I'd point to The Hunger Games movies.
  • ZeusZeus Posts: 10,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    X-23 would be my choice.
  • NoseyLouieNoseyLouie Posts: 5,651
    Forum Member
    marvel should buy the lobo and have lobo in a sex change..frag em all!

:)
  • Digital SidDigital Sid Posts: 39,870
    Forum Member

Lucy and The Hunger Games show that men like that are getting over themselves. Not that female viewers should go uncatered for because their husbands are misogynists. The right hero, with the right actress and the right writer (Nicole Perlman) could easily make their money back. Also Resident and Underworld were shit, it had little to do with their female leads.
  • kimotagkimotag Posts: 11,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thor!:D
  • Dress to KillDress to Kill Posts: 6,209
    Forum Member
    I don't know much about those who haven't been in the movies or television shows, but I think Ms. Marvel and Black Widow are the obvious, most likely and most ideal people imo.

I also want Thor 3 with Loki, the Enchantress (and her Executioner) and Hela who's holding Odin in Hel.
  • HystericGlamourHystericGlamour Posts: 371
    Forum Member
    brumilad wrote: »
    Patsy Walker/Hellcat.

In fact I would love to see a "Patsy Walker" rom com, with the post credits scene suddenly twisting things and see her becoming Hellcat with her next appearance being in the Avengers.

I love this idea!
  • BrigonBrigon Posts: 2,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CBFreak wrote: »
    If the Ms Marvel movie does go ahead I'm thinking who would play the role?

Katee Sackhoff (Starbuck from BSG), is surely perfect casting for Carol Danvers (Ms/Captain Marvel)
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brown Bottle, Eight Ace or Black Bag; all would be suitable.
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oops - I somehow missed seeing that it was supposed to be female. Black Bag it is then :D
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    barbeler wrote: »
    Oops - I somehow missed seeing that it was supposed to be female. Black Bag it is then :D

Or Brown Bottle's one time nemesis, Cider woman.

Nude Motorcycle Girl wold also be welcome.
  • DDRickyDDDDRickyDD Posts: 5,241
    Forum Member
    Maybe Batwoman from the Batman comics? or have they made a marvel film about her?
  • be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DDRickyDD wrote: »
    Maybe Batwoman from the Batman comics? or have they made a marvel film about her?
    Batman and Batwoman are both DC characters, not Marvel.

Of course, Spider-Woman would be ideal for a Marvel film. Plus that would really put Sony's nose out of joint.