The Crew

Comments

• Ted CTed C Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just spent a few hours on it on PS4.

Was not sure at first...graphics seemed a little rough, but it seemed to improve as it went on and you got deeper into the missions.

The playing area is really massive - I decided to drive from Detroit to New York and it almost took as long as the actual drive (You cannot fast travel to cities you have not yet visited). However, I did discover that you can use train stations to travel from city to city, which is pretty much the same as fast travel.

I was not keen on the way-point marker, which is a blue strip that appears above you in the sky...found that disconcerting and lost track of it a few times.

I didn't find the car handling too bad. What I did miss was being able to interact with the buildings, such as multi-storey car parks etc, and no on-foot capability, meaning you cannot change/switch/steal other cars. In all other respects it follows the familiar pattern of Driver/GT5 in terms of interactivity, plus the car customisation and upgrade options.

Despite the reservations it feels like I have only scratched the surface. There are plenty of missions, side missions, mini-games and challenges to complete as you drive around, all optional of course.
  • stefmeisterstefmeister Posts: 8,395
    Forum Member
    Rich_L wrote: »
    Is this out then? Any reviews?
    I've seen a few review in progress pieces on a few sites & none of them have really been heaping praise on it.

I'm kinda surprised at the fact that there seems to be little to no hype or real interest in it, I'd almost forgotten that it was even out because nobody really seems to be talking about it. Having said that though i guess its not that surprising in a way given how there's been a dozen beta's & that none of the game sites have been able to talk about it due to the embargo & due to Ubisoft apparently not sending out any review copies.

I recall there been a fair bit of excitement when the game was announced, Seems that since the 1st Beta most of it has just gone away & its got a bit lost in the crowd of various other highly anticipated games that have been released recently or are due out soon.
  • iDirtyPenguiniDirtyPenguin Posts: 327
    Forum Member
    Can see this being an absolute flop. It looked good when first announced but now.... place it down the pan :/
  • ddigitalukddigitaluk Posts: 26
    Forum Member
    It's a Marmite game for sure, your either love or hate it, it's not Forza Horizon and it's not all bright and shiny, The handling improves as you level up and find and buy parts for your Car(s) However it is kinda off and you can never quite find the right biting point for the brakes when turning sharply, mashing the handbrake can send you skidding into a wall. Traffic spawns in your path when your in the lead.

Certain events are scripted, the counter runs right down to the wire but if you put enough effort in you somehow win.

Racing Wheels don't seem to be detected properly on all platforms even high end models.

360 Pad can't be remapped at least on the PC, Online is a little unstable but that's normal and load balancing of servers is needed.

So it needs patching it's playable and not terrible but it's not for everyone, The scale of the world your in is amazing and sometimes you just want to stop and take it all in.

If the devs are allowed the time to continue working on this and it has enough sales, it could evolve into something brilliant.

Ubisoft shot themselves in the foot holding back review code.
  • Duncan_StylesDuncan_Styles Posts: 431
    Forum Member
    Fave place on the map was the Florida Bayou. You can rally.
  • gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Got this this morning on PS4... Like it

Something different
  • gds1972gds1972 Posts: 6,613
    Forum Member
    Coming in at 6th in the chart on its first week is not great I suspect the price of this game will drop pretty quickly.
  • stefmeisterstefmeister Posts: 8,395
    Forum Member
    Reviews are coming in:

Gamespot - 5
    Ign - 6
    Polygon – 4.5
    Eurogamer – 8
    Joystiq – 3/5
    Game Informer – 7
    PlayStation Lifestyle – 7.5
    Softpedia – 6
    JeuxActu – 14/20
    Power Unlimited – 76/100
    PC Gamer – 70/100
    Dealspawn – 6
    US Gamer – 3.5/5
    EGM – 6
    Meristation – 7
    Eurogamer. de – 6.5
    XGN. nl – 7.5
    Game Revolution – 3/5
    Hardcore Gamer – 3/5
    InsideGamer.nl – 5.5
    Slant – 2/5
  • MC_SatanMC_Satan Posts: 26,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Between 5 and 7 seems to be the concensus for scores. Doesn't matter to me as it will be my 'free' Unity compensation.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Played a little more over the last few days...got up to level 21 so far, and managed some decent upgrades and parts for my cars. Still need to earn more cash and XP to get better wheels and be able to enter higher level events.

Still get a kick out of driving across the states...went from New York to Miami today...kind of relaxing and therapeutic.

Some interesting challenges in the story mode - one has you racing a dirt car against a high-end street car, a serious mismatch but if you use the off-road shortcuts you can win...but only just.

I like the fact that even if you are outclassed in some races, with a bit of skilful driving you can win, it's not too unforgiving in that regard.

The downside is poor handling on some cars...I am sure it will get better when you manage to purchase higher-end racers and equip them better, but the number of times I have been winning a race and have spun out or just completely lost it for no reason is very annoying.
    Forum Member
    Bio Max wrote: »

I at least though the price would have held up until Christmas I don't think Ubisoft will be very happy about the sales figures of this game.

Edit just noticed it at £24.99 from Game
  • Duncan_StylesDuncan_Styles Posts: 431
    Forum Member
    Expect to see it on PSN+ quite soon.
  • linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't believe the price drop.

Seems its not worth paying full price as the games soon come down to £25. Much faster drops than last generation.
  • Flawed-TacticsFlawed-Tactics Posts: 3,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can get this for free on PC, anybody played it, is it buggy?
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got it free on XBone and its really really good. The graphics are almost better than Horizon2. Definitely much more variety in the environment than H2.
  • gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is 24 99 instore at game for ps4 and xbox1
  • linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got it free on XBone and its really really good. The graphics are almost better than Horizon2. Definitely much more variety in the environment than H2.

Horizon 2 is quite boring.

I got The Crew not played it but it looks like Midnight club LA for the 360?
    Forum Member
    gillyallan wrote: »
    This is 24 99 instore at game for ps4 and xbox1

My local game were selling it for £21.99 today if you showed them a #secretsanta image from there twitter feed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How come its gone so cheap especially in game ? Has it flopped in reviews ?
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gillyallan wrote: »
    How come its gone so cheap especially in game ? Has it flopped in reviews ?

Yeah only a metacritic score of 61 - http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/the-crew. Evidently it must not be selling because of it.
  • YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    Gormond wrote: »
    Yeah only a metacritic score of 61 - http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/the-crew. Evidently it must not be selling because of it.

According to vgchartz, it has sold 570,000 copies on 4 consoles.

370,000 on PS4
    140,000 on X1
    30,000 on PC
    30,000 on 360

Did this not come out on the PS3 then ??

So 570k copies at $60 is 34.2 million dollars. I have no idea how much it costs to make a game but when you consider that a blockbuster movie costs 200-300 million dollars these days, The Crew has probably made a considerable loss.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scores are only opinions. Yeah if you get a lot of similar alarm Bells can ring. I mean driveclub gets something like 71. Id personally give it about 90.
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of its not sold well it's probably because of unity and the free game offer. I held out waiting to get it free but I was going to buy it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lots of comments, but am I really the only one actually playing this game?

Hit it pretty hard yesterday...decided to find all of the data towers...though no bonus or reward for doing so...seemed a bit mean considering the work I put in.

Also working on getting all of the tourist monument icons...worth doing, because you get 2000 quid for each one, and you can fast travel to most of them as long as you have already visited that area. A good way to make a lot of easy money.

Got to level 38 now. Las Vegas has just opened up for me, have got most of the East Coast, Miami and Midwest done, West Coast is the main challenge now. Some missions have been a real, tough struggle...a couple I must have attempted 20 times.

Some missions I have had a lower spec car than required, but sometimes the amount of time you have to put in to drive long distances to some areas, earning money with small challenges to improve your ride is extremely daunting...so sometimes it is worth just going for a mission hell for leather and persevering until you complete it.

And I know I have said it before, but the scope of the map is absolutely huge, I reckon bigger that GTA.