Options

Rise of the Tomb Raider for Xbox consoles only!

Comments

• Options
    JoystickJoystick Posts: 14,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does show MS are serious about the Xbox One, people complained they don't care about the games but they're bringing in the Exclusives.

Tomb Raider itself isn't a system seller, but it will be a good title of exclusives to have in the MS library.
  • Options
    MC_SatanMC_Satan Posts: 26,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Woodbine wrote: »
    Does show MS are serious about the Xbox One, people complained they don't care about the games but they're bringing in the Exclusives.

Tomb Raider itself isn't a system seller, but it will be a good title of exclusives to have in the MS library.

Except unless they have signed up for multiple games the chances of this selling enough to make a profit are slim and if it makes no profit will it be canned acter this one?
  • Options
    HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shame really as I enjoyed the TR Reboot and I have pretty much settled on getting a PS4 :(

I wonder if it really is 'exclusive' though as most third party exclusives eventually made it to the other side last generation from what I can remember (Or maybe it was just the ones I was interested in).

Third party exclusives and exclusive content really sucks. It annoys me when a franchise like AC gets close to one company only to shift to the other side at a later date, its a bit of a kick in the teeth to the fans of the series who may have bought a console based on getting the better version.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is great news in terms of me getting an X1, I want one more than I did before the news i'm inching ever closer to the point of no return where I buy one

But looking objectively this seems like a cheap way (rather ironic the amount MS paid for this) for them to grab a few headlines they don't deserve, rather than have one of their many teams they keep talking about develop a new IP and try and compete with uncharted they just bought up a game that is similar enough and is established, now for the next 18 months whenever uncharted is mentioned we'll here about how its going head to head with Tomb Raider

Also what kind of exclusive is this? Mass Effect 1 was exclusive forever remember and now its not, AC liberation was Vita Exclusive until it wasn't, Batman Arkham origins Blackgate was Vita exclusive until it wasn't, these games where pretty much sold as lifetime consoles or not available on Playstation in the case of ME1
  • Options
    JoystickJoystick Posts: 14,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MC_Satan wrote: »
    Except unless they have signed up for multiple games the chances of this selling enough to make a profit are slim and if it makes no profit will it be canned acter this one?
    I can't predict the future, but consoles need exclusives to sell their system, The reboot of Tomb Raider got a lot of praise and hopefully a lot more people will be aware and look forward to the new one, I know I am.
  • Options
    gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ahh bummer. I enjoyed definitive on ps4. Looks like I'm missing out as won't be buying another console to play it. Oh well....moving along. ..
  • Options
    Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NMS team said they needed some extra time to work on the PC version so Sony spun it as a timed exclusive for the PS4.

Spoke to many people here at Xbox press conference on Tomb Raider. Official line is that the game is "exclusive on Xbox for holiday 2015."

Timed exclusive.
  • Options
    tombigbeetombigbee Posts: 4,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gutted about this. The last game was one of the best games I've played in recent years. It is very odd that they should do this, especially since the last one was recently available on the PS4.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Woodbine wrote: »
    I can't predict the future, but consoles need exclusives to sell their system, The reboot of Tomb Raider got a lot of praise and hopefully a lot more people will be aware and look forward to the new one, I know I am.

I'm looking forward to it too. I have a XBone already but TR isn't a system seller (at least not in huge numbers). Sales of the last one took ages to hit the levels expected.
  • Options
    claire2281claire2281 Posts: 17,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Timed exclusive.

You'd think if it wasn't a timed exclusive they'd be spelling it out in black and white rather than just saying 'exclusive for holiday 2015'.
  • Options
    brbbrb Posts: 27,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NMS team said they needed some extra time to work on the PC version so Sony spun it as a timed exclusive for the PS4.

Timed exclusive.

Holiday 2015 is when the game is being released. It is referring to the release date and not the period in which it is exclusive.
  • Options
    Vast_GirthVast_Girth Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    We will just have to settle for Unchartered 4!

Nope i wont have that either! PC only here!
  • Options
    Duncan_StylesDuncan_Styles Posts: 431
    Forum Member
    Balls to you, Crystal Dynamics.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    brb wrote: »
    Holiday 2015 is when the game is being released. It is referring to the release date and not the period in which it is exclusive.

If it was full exclusive there would be no need for the "for Holiday 2015". Like: "Rise of the Tomb Raider, coming exclusively to Xbox One"
    Guess we are getting reports here too that its a timed exclusive. I hate when companies word things like shit.
  • Options
    MsLurkerMsLurker Posts: 1,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved the reboot and will be getting a XB1 sometime next year but I find this deal rather disappointing on Crystal Dynamics 's part. It's a bit of a kick in the teeth to the fans of TR.
  • Options
    AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    A massive coup for Microsoft if it does happen to be a lifetime exclusive, but I somewhat doubt it will be. Likening the situation to that of Uncharted is very different, as that's a game published by Sony for a Sony console. Tomb Raider (aside from having a historically long-term PS fanbase) has no such ties, and so such exclusivity would be shooting yourself in the foot on the developer's part.

My guess is it'll be a timed exclusive, even if it isn't intended to be. If I'm wrong then I guess it's a tremendous shame - I somehow managed to miss the recent reboot but came across it recently after seeing trailers for this sequel. If I'm not going to be able to play on PS4, I probably won't bother with the previous one either.
  • Options
    Jenny1986Jenny1986 Posts: 16,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm really suprised by this. Tomb Raider has always been multi plat, and has always been on PS, so i'm suprised it would become exclusive to anybody. It's good for MS I guess, but i'm pretty dissapointed. I do wonder how many more sales they think they will get on 1 platform, MS must have paid a lot for this.

If it was Sony getting FF exclusivity it would make more sense, FF sold double on PS I think and has only been multi plat since 13. But didn't Tomb Raider sell better on PS4? It must make sense to Square Enix.
  • Options
    DandemDandem Posts: 13,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Enormous shame this. I was looking forward to the new Tomb Raider, but it seems I won't be playing it sadly.

Uncharted 4 is likely to be the better of the two games anyway.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Hotbird wrote: »
    Shame really as I enjoyed the TR Reboot and I have pretty much settled on getting a PS4 :(

Same here. Though admittedly I'm not intending to get one for some time, I have settled on my next console purchase being a PS4. Though I very much like the TR reboot a great deal, it would not be enough to make me purchase an Xbox One. Not by a long shot. This deal hasn't changed my console of choice. As many have said, there's Uncharted. :)

I'll be very curious to see how this works out for both parties.
  • Options
    Chris_TVChris_TV Posts: 4,034
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have played every Tomb Raider since the first one. As a franchise Tomb Raider would be nowhere without PlayStation.

This will be the first Tomb Raider I will not play. Money speaks louder than fans, and always will sadly.

The last game sold an awful lot more on PS4 than it did on Xbox one, but the Money waved at them must of been large enough for them to not be bothered about the PlayStation sales, which were bigger.

I would not mind seeing a battle between Raider and Uncharted and the end of 2015 now because I know which one will win.
  • Options
    HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kal_El wrote: »
    Same here. Though admittedly I'm not intending to get one for some time, I have settled on my next console purchase being a PS4. Though I very much like the TR reboot a great deal, it would not be enough to make me purchase an Xbox One. Not by a long shot. This deal hasn't changed my console of choice. As many have said, there's Uncharted. :)

I'll be very curious to see how this works out for both parties.

Still not sure myself when I will finally make the jump to PS4, but friends are also interested in that machine and I generally prefer Sonys IPs. Also cross buy and PS+ keep increasing the size of my PS4 games collection. Nothing on the XB1 has really wowed me (Or PS4 for that matter) and convinced to switch from PS3 to XB1 and TR as good as the reboot was isn't enough reason especially when I would lose Uncharted to play TR.

I am enjoying gaming more than ever at the moment, but I am struggling to get excited for a lot of the new stuff as good as some of it looks.
  • Options
    jcafcwjcafcw Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who cares?

The first game was just an Uncharted rip off and not a good one at that. Everything that made Tomb Raider well Tomb Raider was taken out.
  • Options
    2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    Brilliant news! Congratulations to Microsoft on partnering up with Crystal Dynamics on another great looking exclusive. Basing a game around a single platform has it's benefits and with the kind of budget Microsoft can bring to the table no doubt the game will be stunning when released. Sony fans shouldn't be too upset, I can understand why they would be as I felt the same when Bayonetta 2 was announced as a Wii U exclusive, but they've got Uncharted 4 which is due out around the same time.