Best tablet c£200

2»

Comments

• Options
    clonmultclonmult Posts: 3,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wendy09 wrote: »
    my linx 10 is quite zippy, and ive not had much of an issue with 2gb ram or running programmes/apps. i dont think youve actually handled a linx 10, youd be surprised at just how good it is. (has £50 cashback in tablet exchange)

windows has been streamlined (but still is full version) so it does work quite well with 1gb. (linx 7 or linx 8 - both have £30 cashback in tablet exchange)

to be honest this windows 8 has more in common with linux than the old windows 7 or xp.

I've got an Acer W4 - similar spec to the Linx (slightly faster processor) ... I'd just seen a few of the Linx 10s listed as having 1gb ram, which definitely isn't enough. 2gb seems fine.

Windows 8 has absolutely nothing in common with Linux, it is a slightly rewritten Windows 7 kernel (Windows 7 is a Windows 6.1 kernel, Windows 8 is running a 6.3 kernel).

I've been finding the interface on Windows 8 works ridiculously well on a tablet (as long as you use chrome for browsing - its touch friendly, which isn't the case with IE or Firefox). Equally, it sucks beyond belief without a touchscreen ....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 38
    Forum Member
    clonmult wrote: »
    I've got an Acer W4 - similar spec to the Linx (slightly faster processor) ... I'd just seen a few of the Linx 10s listed as having 1gb ram, which definitely isn't enough. 2gb seems fine.

Not true!!! Linx 10s has 2GB RAM while Linx 7 and 8 both has 1GB RAM. Accorded to Linx 7 and 8 customers reviews on Amazon UK said 1GB is fine enough to run most apps as Windows 8.1 has very low memory footprint.

http://linx-tablets.com/linx-10.html

Not surprised Acer W4 is just 8 inch with 32GB can be found new for £200 the cheapest one. It has Atom Z3740 CPU which in fact has same speed and performance as Linx tablets CPU Atom Z3735F, the only difference is Z3740 used 0.2W less power than Z3735F.

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Atom-Z3740-vs-Intel-Atom-Z3735F

Linx 7 can be found for £79.98 or £49.98 after trade in, Linx 8 cost £99.99 or £69.99 after trade in and Linx 10 cost £159.99 or £109.99 after trade in.
  • Options
    clonmultclonmult Posts: 3,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not true!!! Linx 10s has 2GB RAM while Linx 7 and 8 both has 1GB RAM. Accorded to Linx 7 and 8 customers reviews on Amazon UK said 1GB is fine enough to run most apps as Windows 8.1 has very low memory footprint.

http://linx-tablets.com/linx-10.html

Not surprised Acer W4 is just 8 inch with 32GB can be found new for £200 the cheapest one. It has Atom Z3740 CPU which in fact has same speed and performance as Linx tablets CPU Atom Z3735F, the only difference is Z3740 used 0.2W less power than Z3735F.

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Atom-Z3740-vs-Intel-Atom-Z3735F

Linx 7 can be found for £79.98 or £49.98 after trade in, Linx 8 cost £99.99 or £69.99 after trade in and Linx 10 cost £159.99 or £109.99 after trade in.

The CPUboss comparison is flawed (I was using it for a while to compare processors when choosing a laptop - it gives roughly no useful info); the Z3740 is about 10% faster - but being 10% faster than an already slow processor isn't really anything to boast about.

Windows 8.1 is still windows; its probably back to the XP days of memory footprint. 1gb ram just isn't sufficient. I wouldn't believe a single customer review claiming that Windows 8.1 can run fine with 1gb. Because it can't.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 38
    Forum Member
    Windows 8.1 is still windows; its probably back to the XP days of memory footprint. 1gb ram just isn't sufficient. I wouldn't believe a single customer review claiming that Windows 8.1 can run fine with 1gb. Because it can't.

My dad's 8 years old Dell Inspiron 9400 laptop with 1GB RAM and Geforce Go 7900GS ran apps and games just fine on Windows Vista then Windows 7 then Windows 8 and now use Windows 8.1. He played games with 1GB RAM worked fine with GTA III, GTA Vice City, GTA San Andreas, GTA IV, Far Cry, Crysis, Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, Splinter Cell, Doom 3, Dead Space, Star Trek Online, Star Wars: The Old Republic etc and watched movies on Netflix without issues. So Windows 8.1 worked with 1GB fine!!!

My Linx 10 tablet has 32GB SSD, there are not enough space to install new games because they use hell lots of space like Origin with 9 free games total 58GB, Star Trek Online required 11.9GB and Star Wars: The Old Republic needed 26GB. So I used Steam In-Home Streaming had brilliant time played Far Cry 4 on tablet last week.
  • Options
    soransoran Posts: 1,646
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The CPUboss comparison is flawed (I was using it for a while to compare processors when choosing a laptop - it gives roughly no useful info); the Z3740 is about 10% faster - but being 10% faster than an already slow processor isn't really anything to boast about.

Sorry, but as a new owner of Linx 8, I can tell you that it runs absolutly fine on 1gb. I have installed Steam and ran Serious Sam 2nd Encounter HD as a test, which ran at 30-40fps, very playable. Also installed Lightroom 5, which again runs fine. Browsing is very quick to load websites in either Chrome or Firefox. In fact my only real complaint is that the screen coating is not great, as it is a right fingerprint magnet.
  • Options
    wendy09wendy09 Posts: 3,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Windows 8 has absolutely nothing in common with Linux, it is a slightly rewritten Windows 7 kernel (Windows 7 is a Windows 6.1 kernel, Windows 8 is running a 6.3 kernel).

I've been finding the interface on Windows 8 works ridiculously well on a tablet (as long as you use chrome for browsing - its touch friendly, which isn't the case with IE or Firefox). Equally, it sucks beyond belief without a touchscreen ....

thanks i understand, my point is that it seems closer to a linux working os than it has been previously
  • Options
    wendy09wendy09 Posts: 3,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    soran wrote: »
    Sorry, but as a new owner of Linx 8, I can tell you that it runs absolutly fine on 1gb. I have installed Steam and ran Serious Sam 2nd Encounter HD as a test, which ran at 30-40fps, very playable. Also installed Lightroom 5, which again runs fine. Browsing is very quick to load websites in either Chrome or Firefox. In fact my only real complaint is that the screen coating is not great, as it is a right fingerprint magnet.

ive the linx 10 and have to say im having same experience as you. :) i havent taken the screen protector off yet and find it sensitive and a fingerprint magnet.