***The Official Christmas Radio Times Countdown and Christmas TV Thread 2015***

Comments

• smokeycatsmokeycat Posts: 898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nd wrote: »
    Hello all. Longtime lurker finally signing up to take part.

Welcome aboard! :)
  • AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Guys, there is just three hours to go until this week's Quiz closes. It is great to have had so many entrants this week and I hope you all stick around for the duration!

WEEK TWO TIP:

You may want to delve into your physical copies of Radio Times Christmas editions to help you solve two questions.

If you haven't got old copies, don't worry, you should still be able to work out the answer if you think about it!

New questions, this week's answers and your scores will be posted before mid-day tomorrow!
  • essexgazessexgaz Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    Evening all, I have just entered the quiz.

Long time reader of this forum and decided to finally take the plunge as the quiz is too much of a temptation not to enter along with the cover comp.

I am a massive Christmas fan and did subscribe to the Radio Times but after waiting too long for a Xmas subscription copy I now purchase from the shops like sane people :D
  • smokeycatsmokeycat Posts: 898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    essexgaz wrote: »
    Evening all, I have just entered the quiz.

Good luck! and welcome. :)
    Always a fun thread to be part of. Especially as summer turns into Autumn. ;-)
  • Anthony_RyanAnthony_Ryan Posts: 445
    Forum Member
    nd wrote: »
    Hello all. Longtime lurker finally signing up to take part.

Welcome nd, I hope that you will continue to enjoy this thread. It really is lots of fun as well as being very informative.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi, the second week's questions will appear shortly, (they are a bit tougher this week), but in the meantime here are the answers and the scores for last week:

WEEK ONE ANSWERS:

1: Which former BBC star had a debut Christmas Special on ITV in 1979?

DICK EMERY

2: (Continuing from Question 1): Although it was a debut show for the answer to question 1, it proved to be the one and only festive ITV show. The celebrity had signed a three show deal for ITV and in 1980 went back to the BBC. What day did the Christmas Show in 1979 air on ITV?

BOXING DAY

3: "I don't want to be in a pie, I don't like gravy" is a line from which popular movie that has been featured in the Christmas RT listings several times since 2002?

CHICKEN RUN (Every single person got this right - seems I'm not the only one who loves this line!)

4: What festive treat did Nanette Newman present at Christmas 1982 on ITV?

CHILDREN SING CHRISTMAS

5: Which pop superstar had a Christmas Eve 1990 showing of their concert on BBC2?

MADONNA

6: Which highlights show went "on the road" on Holiday Tuesday 1977 on BBC1?

BOB HOPE ON THE ROAD WITH BING

7: Which vintage movie caused controversy by becoming ITV1's Christmas afternoon movie in 2001?

THE GREAT ESCAPE

8: Which Jennifer Saunders comedy series aired on Boxing Day 2006?

JAM AND JERUSALEM

9: What prize was promised on the cover of 1987's Christmas Radio Times?

A LUXURY ALGARVE VILLA

10: Following the outbreak of the second world war, in order to save valuable commodities like ink, the RADIO TIMES, like all other national publications, resorted to just using black and red or just black ink for its cover illustrations. This went on throughout, and for a long time after the end of the war. What year did the Christmas Radio Times feature more colour by including green on its cover for the first time since 1940?

11: (Continuing from question 10): With the re-introduction of full colour after the year referred to in question 10, it would have been feasible to expect a bright, joyous cover for the Christmas cover for the following year. However, the cover proved to be bland and rather dull, and disappointing. What featured on the cover that year?

A GREY BACKGROUND WITH A MOSAIC/STAINED GLASS WINDOW EFFECT (Some posters were really specific with their interpretation but virtually all came up with the general description.)

12: Which comic strip detective movie featuring Al Pacino premiered on Holiday Tuesday 1994 on BBC1?

DICK TRACY

THE SCORES:

Everyone did really well this week, so here's the scores after round 1:

Jazzydrury3 - 9
    Pembo2004 - 10
    Smokeycat - 11
    Aaron_Cardwell - 11
    nd - 12
    mightybudgie - 12
    Allan - 12
    marke09 - 12
    Claires_dad - 12
    pedrok - 12
    altally - 12
    essexgaz - 12

Remember, you can still gain 75 more points between now and October 11th, so there's lots to play for - and the standings could of course change!
  • davadsdavads Posts: 8,635
    Forum Member
    wizzywick wrote: »
    Hi, the second week's questions will appear shortly, (they are a bit tougher this week), but in the meantime here are the answers and the scores for last week:

WEEK ONE ANSWERS:

1: Which former BBC star had a debut Christmas Special on ITV in 1979?

DICK EMERY

2: (Continuing from Question 1): Although it was a debut show for the answer to question 1, it proved to be the one and only festive ITV show. The celebrity had signed a three show deal for ITV and in 1980 went back to the BBC. What day did the Christmas Show in 1979 air on ITV?

BOXING DAY

3: "I don't want to be in a pie, I don't like gravy" is a line from which popular movie that has been featured in the Christmas RT listings several times since 2002?

CHICKEN RUN (Every single person got this right - seems I'm not the only one who loves this line!)

4: What festive treat did Nanette Newman present at Christmas 1982 on ITV?

CHILDREN SING CHRISTMAS

5: Which pop superstar had a Christmas Eve 1990 showing of their concert on BBC2?

MADONNA

6: Which highlights show went "on the road" on Holiday Tuesday 1977 on BBC1?

BOB HOPE ON THE ROAD WITH BING

7: Which vintage movie caused controversy by becoming ITV1's Christmas afternoon movie in 2001?

THE GREAT ESCAPE

8: Which Jennifer Saunders comedy series aired on Boxing Day 2006?

JAM AND JERUSALEM

9: What prize was promised on the cover of 1987's Christmas Radio Times?

A LUXURY ALGARVE VILLA

10: Following the outbreak of the second world war, in order to save valuable commodities like ink, the RADIO TIMES, like all other national publications, resorted to just using black and red or just black ink for its cover illustrations. This went on throughout, and for a long time after the end of the war. What year did the Christmas Radio Times feature more colour by including green on its cover for the first time since 1940?

11: (Continuing from question 10): With the re-introduction of full colour after the year referred to in question 10, it would have been feasible to expect a bright, joyous cover for the Christmas cover for the following year. However, the cover proved to be bland and rather dull, and disappointing. What featured on the cover that year?

A GREY BACKGROUND WITH A MOSAIC/STAINED GLASS WINDOW EFFECT (Some posters were really specific with their interpretation but virtually all came up with the general description.)

12: Which comic strip detective movie featuring Al Pacino premiered on Holiday Tuesday 1994 on BBC1?

DICK TRACY

THE SCORES:

Everyone did really well this week, so here's the scores after round 1:

Jazzydrury3 - 9
    Pembo2004 - 10
    Smokeycat - 11
    Aaron_Cardwell - 11
    nd - 12
    mightybudgie - 12
    Allan - 12
    marke09 - 12
    Claires_dad - 12
    pedrok - 12
    altally - 12
    essexgaz - 12

Remember, you can still gain 75 more points between now and October 11th, so there's lots to play for - and the standings could of course change!

Can I join this quiz if I missed week 1?
  • snafu65snafu65 Posts: 18,187
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just a query about question 7) in the quiz. Why was it controversial?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This year, I am putting the rules into a spoiler box so they're there if you want to be reminded. Here you go, here are the rules:

THE RULES
    Here's the boring bit:

1) I will accept your first Personal Message to myself as your definitive entry for that week. Any further attempts to answer for any individual week will not be considered.

2) Points will be simplified this year. You get one point for each correct answer. Simple. All points are carried forward to the following week to form a running total. The person with the most overall points at the end of the 8 week run, wins.

3) In the event of two or more people getting the exact amount of points at the end, I will post three tie-break questions. These questions will appear on Sunday 11th October (the day the quiz finishes) until 5pm. The first person to post their correct answers publicly wins!

4) The prize: The prize is a glossy desk calendar. Each month is a different photo of a classic Radio Times cover. There are four classic Christmas covers featured. In addition to this is a copy of a non-Christmas Radio Times from the late 70's or early 80's.

The runner up will also win a copy of a non-Christmas Radio Times from the late 70's or early 80's.

Remember: PLEASE GIVE YOUR ANSWERS BY GIVING ME A PERSONAL MESSAGE. This is a quiz anyone can enter so obviously, the answers need to be kept out of public view until the next week's questions launch.

5) Each week the quiz will close at midnight every Saturday night. New batch of questions will appear anytime between 00.01 and 12.00pm on the Sunday. No entry will be accepted after midnight Saturday.

I think that's it. Right, ready for the quiz!

WEEK 2 QUESTIONS:

1: "It's inappropriate for someone my age to be flirtatious" was said by whom according to the Christmas 2014 issue of Radio Times?

2: In the Christmas 2006 issue, who boasted that "I've always been a big head, I was arrogant before I was famous!"?

3: Which vintage star was "Unforgettable" on ITV on New Year's Eve in 2000?

4: Which movie premiere caused a bit of a carry on on BBC1 in the run up to Christmas in 1995?

5: Where did BBC1's Midnight Eucharist (airing everywhere in the UK except Scotland) come from in 1991?

6: What year did Val Doonican's very last Christmas Eve special air on BBC1?

7: "On the trail of the Spinster Sleuth" is a feature from the 1984 Christmas Radio Times about which fictional character?

8: Which famous jungle adventure movie starring Christopher Lambert, received its BBC1 premiere during Christmas 1987?

9: In the 1985 Christmas issue, what festive broadcast on BBC2 did the feature "Sweet Sensation" refer to?

10: Which sword and sorcery drama got hit by a truck as it reached its conclusion on Christmas Eve 2012?

I apologise if these are tough for some posters - if you don't own any Christmas RT back issues, all the features I refer to are about big Christmas programmes airing in the specified years. Think of the quotes or context of the feature and use the usual website to see what programmes aired and then consider the likelihoods of who would say the quotes I posted in questions 1 and 2 and then try and discover the programmes in questions 7 and 9. They do make sense. Good luck!

Please remember to post your answers via PM to myself.
    Week 2 Quiz Questions closes at midnight on Saturday September 5th. Have fun.

http://ukchristmastv.weebly.com/
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davads wrote: »
    Can I join this quiz if I missed week 1?

Of course you can. It would be great to have another entrant. Not everyone enters every week. It is about trying to gain as many points as possible so I would really like it if you'd join in.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    snafu65 wrote: »
    Just a query about question 7) in the quiz. Why was it controversial?

Because the newspapers were slagging off ITV for putting an old film about war on Christmas Day following the Allied invasion of Afghanistan that year.
  • davadsdavads Posts: 8,635
    Forum Member
    Because the newspapers were slagging off ITV for putting an old film about war on Christmas Day following the Allied invasion of Afghanistan that year.

It was an interesting scheduling though, because it was a rare (if not the first?) screening of TGE at Christmas, even though it had long been a lazy comedy staple ☺
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davads wrote: »
    It was an interesting scheduling though, because it was a rare (if not the first?) screening of TGE at Christmas, even though it had long been a lazy comedy staple ☺

It was interesting because it did actually receive a solid audience. BBC1's Toy Story premiere preceeded by Outtake TV thrashed it though.
  • marke09marke09 Posts: 12,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well that will teach me to read the questions a bit more thoroughly - just spent ages reading an RT to find the answer to a question only to find i was reading the wrong year!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    marke09 wrote: »
    Well that will teach me to read the questions a bit more thoroughly - just spent ages reading an RT to find the answer to a question only to find i was reading the wrong year!

I suspect you are just having a practice for "senior moments!" ;-)
  • NRGNRG Posts: 3,149
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ha... Just like last year I must make my annual contribution to the offical countdown to Christmas 2015 seeing as it's now 1st September and post periodically until I receive my RT copy in approximately 15 weeks time.
  • snafu65snafu65 Posts: 18,187
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Oh I see, I still don't see why it would cause a stir though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    snafu65 wrote: »
    Oh I see, I still don't see why it would cause a stir though.

I'm trying to make questions interesting. The media sometimes pick up on things and twist them to make it worse than it was. In 2001 papers picked up on the Xmas Day showing of The Great Escape and used comments like "in the wake of the twin towers attacks do people really want watch a war movie on Xmas Day " Others used Blairs decision to join forces with Bush to invade Afghanistan as a reason for showing it. Questions like was ITV being political by dropping Bond for War? It is about the context of the decision rather than decision itself. Imagine how scathing the press would be if it was the BBC that showed it on Xmas Day!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    When do we think this years edition will be hitting the shelves?
  • Claires_dadClaires_dad Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    SHANK0055 wrote: »
    When do we think this years edition will be hitting the shelves?

Saturday 5th December in London and South East and in all regions by Wednesday 9th December.
  • Claires_dadClaires_dad Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    News about the Doctor Who Christmas Special

Contains spoilers so don't click on the link if you don't want to know!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/doctorwho/entries/32369834-a751-4dca-8829-b1a9ec3fb1cb

Article also confirms what we probably knew anyway the Christmas Special will be broadcast on Christmas Day.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    News about the Doctor Who Christmas Special

Contains spoilers so don't click on the link if you don't want to know!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/doctorwho/entries/32369834-a751-4dca-8829-b1a9ec3fb1cb

Article also confirms what we probably knew anyway the Christmas Special will be broadcast on Christmas Day.

It looks really enticing. Sounds like it will be s good one.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cheers to everyone who have entered this weeks Quiz so far.

Just to remind you the deadline for entries is midnight Saturday. But, incase you missed the questions, here's a recap of Week Two's Questions:

1: "It's inappropriate for someone my age to be flirtatious" was said by whom according to the Christmas 2014 issue of Radio Times?

2: In the Christmas 2006 issue, who boasted that "I've always been a big head, I was arrogant before I was famous!"?

3: Which vintage star was "Unforgettable" on ITV on New Year's Eve in 2000?

4: Which movie premiere caused a bit of a carry on on BBC1 in the run up to Christmas in 1995?

5: Where did BBC1's Midnight Eucharist (airing everywhere in the UK except Scotland) come from in 1991?

6: What year did Val Doonican's very last Christmas Eve special air on BBC1?

7: "On the trail of the Spinster Sleuth" is a feature from the 1984 Christmas Radio Times about which fictional character?

8: Which famous jungle adventure movie starring Christopher Lambert, received its BBC1 premiere during Christmas 1987?

9: In the 1985 Christmas issue, what festive broadcast on BBC2 did the feature "Sweet Sensation" refer to?

10: Which sword and sorcery drama got hit by a truck as it reached its conclusion on Christmas Eve 2012?

Answers to be given via PM to myself.
    Cheers again.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am going to a wedding on Saturday, and apparently, I've just been told, we're staying overnight in a B&B!

Therefore WEEK THREE Questions won't appear until sometime Sunday afternoon. I apologise for this one off change to the rules.

In the meantime, don't forget to get your answers to me asap! No entrants accepted after midnight Saturday.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am going to a wedding on Saturday, and apparently, I've just been told, we're staying overnight in a B&B!

Therefore WEEK THREE Questions won't appear until sometime Sunday afternoon. I apologise for this one off change to the rules.

In the meantime, don't forget to get your answers to me asap! No entrants accepted after midnight Saturday.

Guys, not much interest in the quiz this week. I was hoping for a better response! Have a go, you might enjoy it! Cheers.