BBC News Channel Graphics.

Hamlet77Hamlet77 Posts: 22,440
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I know it's not a big important issue and it probably has been mentioned in the numerous threads moaning about something, but I've finally lost my rag with the BBC News channel, the weather report on at about 1530 hrs. has a brief mention of the last months weather with an obviously carefully crafted and suitable graphic on the weather 'board' and it showed the heading 'Summer 201,' now I'm not so stupid as to assume this was referring to the weather some 1800 + years ago, so I suspect someone when setting this up either put the script too far to the right or an idiot did it wrong. WHY? Or are the BBC now employing the worst of buffoons to set these things up.

It probably is not be the same department but how often does the banner at the bottom of the screen show the wrong guest or refers to a previous item. Every time the cost of the news channel is questioned someone mentions new technology I assume these graphics are part of the technology, so how about they train the monkeys responsible to use what they've got before whining about needing more money for bigger and better toys to play with.

Someone is probably going to point out its automated, well, somewhere along the way this automation has fallen down, maybe if they did it manually with a highly trained monkey then the damn thing might get it right.

BTW I was watching in widescreen.

Comments

• DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The weather people set up their own graphics with a very loose script and basically fill any time left over after the news reports are done.

I was given a chance to try out doing the weather on the BBC tour at broadcasting house in June, it's a lot harder than it looks! You don't have an autocue you have to just say what you have on the map ect. Of course if you have set it up and it's your job it's easier, but still, it's a varied time slot so it's still a little ad-hoc.
  • i4ui4u Posts: 54,926
    Forum Member
    Hamlet77 wrote: »
    I know it's not a big important issue....

In a carefully crafted contribution what buffoon would complain about the skills or abilities of others whilst making the following obvious mistakes...
    .... has a brief mention of the last months weather,,,,,

and
    .....It probably is not be the same department....

An untrained monkey would not make such mistakes. :)
  • human naturehuman nature Posts: 13,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It probably is not be the same department but how often does the banner at the bottom of the screen show the wrong guest or refers to a previous item. Every time the cost of the news channel is questioned someone mentions new technology I assume these graphics are part of the technology, so how about they train the monkeys responsible to use what they've got before whining about needing more money for bigger and better toys to play with.
    With all the cutbacks at the BBC they probably have every member of staff doing about five people's jobs. Perhaps the answer to this particular problem is to spend more money on extra staff or better training? But I suspect you probably think the problem will be solved by making more cuts.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With a channel running 24/7 and live much of the time, a few errors in captions is not unexpected.

Newspapers are prepared, and supposedly checked several times but still manage to be full of errors with one universally known as the Grauniad because of the number of errors.

Perhaps we should go back through previous posts from the original poster and sees how many errors he has had made, most of us make them.

PS
    Spotted an error within the first few lines of the first post!

People in glass houses.......
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I know it's not a big important issue and it probably has been mentioned in the numerous threads moaning about something, but I've finally lost my rag with the BBC News channel, the weather report on at about 1530 hrs. has a brief mention of the last months weather with an obviously carefully crafted and suitable graphic on the weather 'board' and it showed the heading 'Summer 201,' now I'm not so stupid as to assume this was referring to the weather some 1800 + years ago, so I suspect someone when setting this up either put the script too far to the right or an idiot did it wrong. WHY? Or are the BBC now employing the worst of buffoons to set these things up.

Someone is probably going to point out its automated, well, somewhere along the way this automation has fallen down, maybe if they did it manually with a highly trained monkey then the damn thing might get it right.

During the night the rolling news ticker is totally ambiguous. It gives no real idea what the story is referring to.

It's a bit strange as through the day it's far more detailled.
  • Gordie10Gordie10 Posts: 2,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    During the night the rolling news ticker is totally ambiguous. It gives no real idea what the story is referring to.

I expect it's all automated overnight, especially with all the cutbacks to the channel lately, taking some feed of brief headlines off some app or something.
  • popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »

Its because its the World News channel ticker, which is brief unlike the News Channel's which offers more info
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBC News Channel is BBC World News from midnight to 6am every night, 08:30 to 09:00 weekdays and 21:00 to 22:00 every night. Think more BBC World News content will appear sooner or later as the BBC News Channel is being ruined or cost cutting by bosses.