Will BT Sport be free on Virgin next season?

mickwallmickwall Posts: 44
Forum Member
Thinking of ditching both BT broadband and Sky TV combo to get everything from Virgin.

With BT Sport getting Champs League next season I really need to have BT Sport, so wondering if anyone knew the length of contract Virgin have with BT Sport? ie, will it be free as part of XL/Big Kahuna etc into next season? and maybe beyond?

Thanks

Comments

• Alex2606Alex2606 Posts: 2,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mickwall wrote: »
    Thinking of ditching both BT broadband and Sky TV combo to get everything from Virgin.

With BT Sport getting Champs League next season I really need to have BT Sport, so wondering if anyone knew the length of contract Virgin have with BT Sport? ie, will it be free as part of XL/Big Kahuna etc into next season? and maybe beyond?

Thanks

The contract runs for another year, not sure if there's any guarantee in that which means BT Sport will remain free for those packages though
  • War OnWar On Posts: 1,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As above has been said, the included element runs for next season. IMO I think all BT Sport content will be included in that. Makes sense for BT to expose what will be very strong content to as many VM subscribers as possible to encourage as many people as possible to pay for a subscription service on VM as it will likely be for the 2016-2017 season as I think it will be by then.
  • mickwallmickwall Posts: 44
    Forum Member
    War On wrote: »
    As above has been said, the included element runs for next season. IMO I think all BT Sport content will be included in that. Makes sense for BT to expose what will be very strong content to as many VM subscribers as possible to encourage as many people as possible to pay for a subscription service on VM as it will likely be for the 2016-2017 season as I think it will be by then.

Thanks for that, that's good news.

So if I sign up, commit for a period I can re-assess the whole football coverage landscape in 18 months time. Who knows where it will be?

As you say, you'd expect BT to start charging somewhere down the line.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,329
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought BT Sports was free on XL until at least 2017.
  • MARKIVMARKIV Posts: 230
    Forum Member

I wouldn't say free on XL, more like included on XL. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,329
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You know what I mean. Ok for the pedantic no extra charge :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mickwall wrote: »
    Thanks for that, that's good news.

So if I sign up, commit for a period I can re-assess the whole football coverage landscape in 18 months time. Who knows where it will be?

As you say, you'd expect BT to start charging somewhere down the line.

No problem at all.

Yep you have approx 20 months of the current deal between VM and BT remaining which allows VM to give all XL customers the BT Sport channels as part of that package and all other customers the ability to access BT Sport, ESPN etc as a subscription service.

That deal was announced on 15th August 2013 so expires August 2016.

I'm afraid not...

http://www.btplc.com/news/Articles/ShowArticle.cfm?ArticleID=45262846-58D9-4D23-9DA8-3FB9234B29AB
  • mickwallmickwall Posts: 44
    Forum Member
    No problem at all.

Yep you have approx 20 months of the current deal between VM and BT remaining which allows VM to give all XL customers the BT Sport channels as part of that package and all other customers the ability to access BT Sport, ESPN etc as a subscription service.

That deal was announced on 15th August 2013 so expires August 2016.

I'm afraid not...

http://www.btplc.com/news/Articles/ShowArticle.cfm?ArticleID=45262846-58D9-4D23-9DA8-3FB9234B29AB

Nice one, thanks for clarifying that. Happy days.
  • weetomuncherweetomuncher Posts: 306
    Forum Member
    I'm really concerned about the standard of BT's coverage, especially that they'll hold the rights to every Champions League match from next season with Sky and ITV losing everything.

I don't think they'll be a patch on Sky and will probably not carry every match on red button, which is something fans have got used to.

I think their coverage of UK football stinks too.
  • mimik1ukmimik1uk Posts: 46,701
    Forum Member
    VM have already started running surveys on potential changes to packages to take account of the significant changes to the footie contracts happening over the next 18 months or so with BT getting a larger slice of PL action as well as taking over SKY's CL contract

so I doubt it will just be a status quo arrangement with BT sports just staying as an included channel in the XL package, they are taking on too much new content and possibly adding an extra channel dedicated to European football as well
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,907
    Forum Member
    Thank God the EU decided the market was anti-competitive eh? Saved us all a load of hassle.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm really concerned about the standard of BT's coverage, especially that they'll hold the rights to every Champions League match from next season with Sky and ITV losing everything.

I don't think they'll be a patch on Sky and will probably not carry every match on red button, which is something fans have got used to.

I think their coverage of UK football stinks too.

I don't think they are that bad, especially considering they are relatively new to the game (so-to-speak). Not as good as Sky but they could be with time and as content increases as their subscription revenues are then likely to increase allowing greater investment in the production rather than all of the investment heading towards buying up new rights'.

I also think they will carry all the games on the Red Button as Sky currently do but that's a guess in my part.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mimik1uk wrote: »
    VM have already started running surveys on potential changes to packages to take account of the significant changes to the footie contracts happening over the next 18 months or so with BT getting a larger slice of PL action as well as taking over SKY's CL contract

so I doubt it will just be a status quo arrangement with BT sports just staying as an included channel in the XL package, they are taking on too much new content and possibly adding an extra channel dedicated to European football as well

IMO the above in bold is not a given. Sky have no choice (again IMO) but to retain as many of the PL packages that they currently have (and arguably need the packages with first picks which they don't currently possess) otherwise they are in big trouble when it comes to retaining a lot of subscribers who's main requirement is for football matches.

BT may be happy with a couple of packages just to complement what is already going to be a strong lineup with CL, Europa League, FA Cup etc.

The following is not an anti-Sky thing, just what I think might happen... Sky may significantly overbid for the rights in a panic and regret their decision soon afterwards as they realise BT never intended to challenge them for certain packages. It would be a silent 'up yours' from BT to Sky too which I'm sure BT would like to do as it's a bit of symbolic power to them (playing Sky at their own game).
  • PudpullerTMPudpullerTM Posts: 1,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IMO the above in bold is not a given. Sky have no choice (again IMO) but to retain as many of the PL packages that they currently have (and arguably need the packages with first picks which they don't currently possess) otherwise they are in big trouble when it comes to retaining a lot of subscribers who's main requirement is for football matches.

BT may be happy with a couple of packages just to complement what is already going to be a strong lineup with CL, Europa League, FA Cup etc.

The following is not an anti-Sky thing, just what I think might happen... Sky may significantly overbid for the rights in a panic and regret their decision soon afterwards as they realise BT never intended to challenge them for certain packages. It would be a silent 'up yours' from BT to Sky too which I'm sure BT would like to do as it's a bit of symbolic power to them (playing Sky at their own game).

BT made a big mistake paying a billion for CL (400 million over the top) they will have to do a LOT to get this money back and the only real way to do this is get a bite of skys millions of subscribers.

Plus sky now own all of SKY europe which could mean if BT dont allow sky in they could just show sky deutchland or italias matches through the broadcast rights of eu broadcasters
  • nicklbnicklb Posts: 186
    Forum Member
    Thank God the EU decided the market was anti-competitive eh? Saved us all a load of hassle.

Quite possibly going to get worse as bids have to be in for the next round of PL rights by the first week in Feb, rumour has it the bein sport and Disney/discovery are thinking of entering the process so maybe more cost, good work EU
  • muppetman11muppetman11 Posts: 2,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BT made a big mistake paying a billion for CL (400 million over the top) they will have to do a LOT to get this money back and the only real way to do this is get a bite of skys millions of subscribers.

Plus sky now own all of SKY europe which could mean if BT dont allow sky in they could just show sky deutchland or italias matches through the broadcast rights of eu broadcasters

No they couldn't whatever rights Sky Deutchland and Sky Italia own are for those specific countries not the UK.
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,907
    Forum Member
    nicklb wrote: »
    Quite possibly going to get worse as bids have to be in for the next round of PL rights by the first week in Feb, rumour has it the bein sport and Disney/discovery are thinking of entering the process so maybe more cost, good work EU

Great isn't it? I'd love them to explain how this benefits the consumer.
  • LudwigVonDrakeLudwigVonDrake Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nicklb wrote: »
    I'm curious, why would Disney be getting back into it? Especially after ESPN UK's short tenure.
    Surely BT wouldn't sell the current ESPN(UK) back to TWDC (rather just rebrand it BTS3) so the Mouse would have to start a new channel.

Just wondering.
  • nicklbnicklb Posts: 186
    Forum Member
    I'm curious, why would Disney be getting back into it? Especially after ESPN UK's short tenure.
    Surely BT wouldn't sell the current ESPN(UK) back to TWDC (rather just rebrand it BTS3) so the Mouse would have to start a new channel.

Just wondering.

I read In financial pages if I remember correctly Disney is linked to discovery and therefore Eurosport so the channells are already there to be used with more content, there are several packages to bid for and speculation was they were thinking of throwing their hat in the ring, as for bein I think it's just s matter of time as they are backed from Qatar so money would not be an issue
  • LudwigVonDrakeLudwigVonDrake Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^Thanks.

I guess expanding British Eurosport would be a good way to do that. Still seems odd if Disney are involved but without ESPN branding.
  • PudpullerTMPudpullerTM Posts: 1,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No they couldn't whatever rights Sky Deutchland and Sky Italia own are for those specific countries not the UK.

Sky Germany and Italy have the RIGHT under EU law to show matches to ANYONE in Europe which is why the law is so clouded about football matches shown in pubs which sky is constantly fighting to stop

and its also the reason sky got a license to broadcast (from luxemburg) into the UK in the first place.

its the PL that are fighting to stop eu broadcasts but eu law prohibits them from stopping the broadcasts.

the EU football doesnt work the same in the UK it is the clubs that sell right to broadcast that teams matches its only the uk that has an organisation like the PL
  • muppetman11muppetman11 Posts: 2,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sky Germany and Italy have the RIGHT under EU law to show matches to ANYONE in Europe which is why the law is so clouded about football matches shown in pubs which sky is constantly fighting to stop

and its also the reason sky got a license to broadcast (from luxemburg) into the UK in the first place.

its the PL that are fighting to stop eu broadcasts but eu law prohibits them from stopping the broadcasts.

the EU football doesnt work the same in the UK it is the clubs that sell right to broadcast that teams matches its only the uk that has an organisation like the PL
    So your suggesting that in a scenario were BT Sport won the lions share of football rights at the next auction Sky could simply show its users the EPL games from Sky Deutschland or Sky Italia ?

If its that simple why they fighting tooth and nail to retain the UK rights ?
  • renno69renno69 Posts: 264
    Forum Member
    I noticed in a recent virgin online survey they sent me they asked how much i was prepared to pay for BT Sport subscription I put £0 and the survey crashed lol so obviously they are seeing if people are prepared to pay a sub for it. I
  • brendagoatsbrendagoats Posts: 495
    Forum Member
    I wish there was an XL pack with out the sports, I'd love to save some money, and i never watch the stuff.
  • donna255donna255 Posts: 10,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wish there was an XL pack with out the sports, I'd love to save some money, and i never watch the stuff.

With you, no interest in sport. Period