ANTM Cycle 18: British Invasion Premieres Tonight in America

Ashfield22121Ashfield22121 Posts: 2,823
Forum Member
✭✭✭
On the fence about this idea.

I can't really see Tyra letting a British girl win.

But will be interesting to see how they all do.

Comments

• javjamoll84javjamoll84 Posts: 15,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They have the odds against them... a) same are you mentioned that I doubt Tyra would want an British winner - unless she needs to fill the 'British' tag like the 'Plus Sized' 'Old'... :o and b) the UK girls have a disadvantage of pretty much most of them being older than the US girl... but I guess the UK girls have been in this process before so its an advantage towards them...

I'd rather a 'normal' cycle but I doubt that will be anytime soon, or ever.

Excited for tomorrow anyways, will be interesting...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 45
    Forum Member
    Worst. Episode. Ever.

A pointless runway show followed by a very disappointing photo shoot. None of the girls came across as likable. And at judging, whose bright idea was it to paint their lips like little flags?

Tyra may have finally done it and killed the franchise.
  • Toy_HeroToy_Hero Posts: 11,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Haven't seen it, but from what I'm read, people are angry with the fact Tyra is trying to cause rivalry and controversy with the divide. like seperate rooms, pairing the countries of together, reminding that the brits are doing crap and at the bottom of the call out. Also the fact the photoshoot was completely OTT and rubbish didn't help. Hi I'm Michelle Obama... on a trampoline. SMH.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hate these types of photoshoots. It was like the Michael Jackson one last cycle where there wasn't really a clear objective - so technically can be so open to whether the judges will like it or not. At least last time no one went.

Not too fussed with the girl who went tbh. I have a feeling I didn't like her much in BNTM, but that was quite a few years ago. Was sure Ashley was going aswell once they showed the phone clip. But glad she didn't.

Its getting worse and worse... It was so obvious that she'll favour the US girls even if she said she won't :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just watched it, and in all honestly (i'm not gonna say about being offended that's too strong) but I feel they made a dick out of the brits. C'mon pitting them against americans, in an american audience. I'd feel like such a fool. On the positive note, I liked Louise told the girl to wind her neck in, and I think she tore her down :')

The american girls really do think they are hot sh*t. Nobody in this cycle is likeable that's the problem. I'm not being biased but I found Ashley and Analeise as the only likeable ones. None of the americans are even remotely likeable.

When it came to the photoshoot, I thought Catherines was the best. But then again, the photoshoot was bollocks. How can you portray Elton John through a black female, yet give a native american... a native american to portray. Not biased at all Tyra:rolleyes:

Though in saying that my favourites are Louise and Ashley. I always liked Ashley but her personality really does come through. Out of the brits I reckon Catherine and Sophie will do well. I'm surprised Alisha hasn't been more modelesque
  • Yobaba**Yobaba** Posts: 4,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't enjoy that. Don't think either the US or UK girls came across well at all. They focused too much on the UK vs US thing.

The photo-shoot was a bit crap too. The ones who had to play men got the short-straw. How the hell are you meant to do a shoot dressed as Elton John or John Lennon? Seemed like a big handicap. Agree that I'm getting bored of these gimmicky cycles. My favourite was Sophie, though I've never seen BNTM.
  • dylanpartyondylanpartyon Posts: 11,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just watched this. And I actually really liked it. I'm not a fan of like how the set up a rivalry between US and UK. I kinda liked what they wanted to do with the photoshoot. But I think they should've either had a shoot with them being the icons, or having them jumping and all the cameras. The two bits together didnt quite work. But I think they figured that out, when the gave out little praise.

It seemed a bit rushed, but only cause its first episode. I like quite a few of the girls. Although, hate quite a few aswell. But overall, much better start than last series. I do thing the US girls did better than the UK girls, so alright with who went home. Although I thought Sophie should've been second. Will continue watching definatly
  • Kyle123Kyle123 Posts: 25,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow, that was even more of a trainwreck than I thought it was going to be. If that were a normal series, the fourteen girls would have been a pretty diverse group to have, but everything else about it was horrific in so many ways.

The theme is an absolute non-starter, because we already all know that there's no way in hell the winner is not going to be American. Pushing the whole competition aspect so heavily is really offputting, because we already know one side has no chance of finishing on top. Everything is already insanely biased to the American's anyway - a black girl having to play Elton John? Come on.

I don't know, I just think this series is going to put a nail in the ANTM coffin. The girls are quite an interesting group, but the British group were all unlikable in their original seasons, and the American's seem so ridicoulous and over the top. The only saving grace is that some have interesting looks, but if their going to do stupid challenges like the one this week, then it makes no difference anyway.

Really not impressed at all. I'll probably stick it out, but I fear that I'll be gone by season end.
  • DLS1DLS1 Posts: 2,319
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Haven't you guys worked it out yet? Tyra (and the panel) NEVER choose the winner. Francesca from Vogue Italia "advises" them on whom she wants in her magazine, so any British girls who make it to the final 5 or 6 have a decent chance of winning. Plus, the whole rivalry thing will wear off as the girls bound. The first episode did suck, but I'm keeping my hopes up, especially for Alisha. I feel like season 6 victory should have been hers.

PS I'm American, and feel no special loyalty to the US girls. May the best model win (for once)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would've though actually that a British girl would have a better chance of winning. Surely they wouldn't go through this whole thing, just so it would be another American, when they've made the hastle of bringing UK girls over aswell. It kinda reminds me of the petite season. I don't think normaly a petite girl would win ANTM, so they made a whole series, to make sure it is possible.

In other news, I really like the new judge. Can't remember her name, but she kinda had alot of sense and all. And also, did I hear the prizes correctly. The winner gets to record a song. Like why?????
  • AnachronyAnachrony Posts: 2,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The winner gets to record a song. Like why?????

The world demands more pot ledom, apparently.
  • Yobaba**Yobaba** Posts: 4,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would've though actually that a British girl would have a better chance of winning. Surely they wouldn't go through this whole thing, just so it would be another American, when they've made the hastle of bringing UK girls over aswell. It kinda reminds me of the petite season. I don't think normaly a petite girl would win ANTM, so they made a whole series, to make sure it is possible.

In other news, I really like the new judge. Can't remember her name, but she kinda had alot of sense and all. And also, did I hear the prizes correctly. The winner gets to record a song. Like why?????

Kelly Cutrone? I liked her also, I remember her from The Hills. I hate the winner getting a song, it just makes the whole thing into even more of a mockery and less of a real model contestant (not that it was anyway).
  • meglosmurmursmeglosmurmurs Posts: 35,109
    Forum Member
    Woah that was a total hot mess.
    As a Brit, I felt annoyed basically about every 2 minutes while watching it. lol

I found myself rooting for the Brits though I don't know if it's because they're the underdogs or because I know them already having watched them on BNTM.
    However I do kind of like how wacky some of the American girls are, particularly Laura.
    Agree that the new judge is good.

It's only one episode in and I'm already tired of this UK vs US battle, what would be a wonderful message is if girls from either country start to get on and there starts being some genuine camaraderie and friendships between them. Let's all bridge the gap I say. :cool:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    what would be a wonderful message is if girls from either country start to get on and there starts being some genuine camaraderie and friendships between them. Let's all bridge the gap I say. :cool:

I personally think that they do get on. A few of the couples, seemed to get on in the judging panel when they were together. Specifically Seymone and Sophie kinda seemed happy together. And when Louise was called, a few of the us girls seemed happy. And when Jasmia was eliminated, they seemed alright with each other. I say there is some obvious rivalry between the two groups, but I say its gonna be portrayed as being alot worse than it actually is.

Although I may be completely wrong, and hate each other completely :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I personally think that they do get on. A few of the couples, seemed to get on in the judging panel when they were together. Specifically Seymone and Sophie kinda seemed happy together. And when Louise was called, a few of the us girls seemed happy. And when Jasmia was eliminated, they seemed alright with each other. I say there is some obvious rivalry between the two groups, but I say its gonna be portrayed as being alot worse than it actually is.

Although I may be completely wrong, and hate each other completely :p

That's how I seen it. I can't recall, I think it was Louise, but didn't she run towards Tyra and the americans hugged her when she collected her picture? I do think that the rivalry is being exaggerated though and that they are going to make friends. Honestly, if you're in a competition with people from another country is your first instinct not something like "ah I wonder what they're like? How modelling is like in London? bla bla bla"

I think segregating the house is not making it more competitive, it's just looking a lot more foolish. The whole issue with the contestants not seeming likeable will obviously fade. I think the whole square of thing is what put us off. The only person I found likeable was Ashley, and I think it's because out of everyone she was shown to be vulnerable and have an emotion (which is different from how she was in BNTM) I dunno I just see her as an underdog, and generally the underdog gets a lot of support. Also people love the accent, but I reckon her days will be numbered because she wasn't the best model despite coming 4th in BNTM. I also can't see AzMarie lasting long.

Is it just me or does anyone else think the Americans look more like models? Maybe I shouldn't judge until makeovers, but I honestly think ANTM always looks more modeleque than BNTM. The only girl that looks remotely modelesque from Britain is Catherine, but I think it's because she's pale with the ginger hair. I didn't like her in BNTM but I'm kind of rooting for her
  • roastyroasty Posts: 347
    Forum Member
    I kind of enjoyed this, but mainly because I got a kick out of seeing the British girls. Let's face it, they've largely been picked because of their personalities -- but realistically, I think Catherine, Sophie, and maybe Louise, are the only ones who stand a chance of getting very far. The American girls are way more beautiful.

The photo shoot was really, really awful though. I mean, the whole thing's a joke, isn't it? I'm not sure how I'd feel about being judged by Kelly Osbourne either, who has no discernible talents or achievements to her name.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,885
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lol wow, not watched the whole show but had to come here after seeing the first 3 minutes!

Why cant Tyrant just do a regular cycle? I guess everyone knows its fixed and so no-one would bother to enter? So they just recycle girls from BNTM?! As if ANTM is gonna be a BNTM reject :/

pointless yet I will watch every ep lol
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,885
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    so just watched it, funniest line was Tyra saying how when she was a young girl she would watch the spice girls and Mel B was her favourite. Tyra is older than Mel B.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Something I just noticed. I'm not 100% on it well, but Ashley must at least stay this week because in the opening of the first episode Tyra is like "and who doesn't love those accents?" and shows a clip of Ashley which seems to be on a photoshoot with Nigel. I doubt it's the final 5 or 4 photoshoot with Nigel though :p
  • MysteriousOzMysteriousOz Posts: 6,230
    Forum Member
    While I liked the 1st episode, I agree with most of you that I can't see a uk girl winning as its Americas next top model? I didnt agree with the call out results or how they picked who would represent each famous person, made no sense

Hopefully they all bond and the VS thing doesn't wreck the series :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Toy_Hero wrote: »
    Something I just noticed. I'm not 100% on it well, but Ashley must at least stay this week because in the opening of the first episode Tyra is like "and who doesn't love those accents?" and shows a clip of Ashley which seems to be on a photoshoot with Nigel. I doubt it's the final 5 or 4 photoshoot with Nigel though :p

Back in Cycle 16 (Brittani, Alexandria, Molly etc) they gave away virtually all of the Top 7 through a similar montage.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The new opening credits have been released.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=1nSyIZi3RFs

They are the same are last cycles concept. I think it would've suited a better design...

I guess we're stuck with these until cycle 20 or something...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love how they give away all of the makeovers in the titles! They've always shot them before makeovers in the past! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not sure about the makeovers yet, I seen them in the promotional pics they released a while back. Sophie with Pink hair is very different. But I can tell Catherine is gonna rock it. I just want Ashley to be more of a model, I think she's awesome!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I thought this weeks episode was much better than last weeks but the whole us against them thing is still as annoying. Doesn't help that Sophie seems to push it in every vt she does :rolleyes:

I liked both bottom 2 girls... Candace had one of the worst photos there where Alex was so low down because she was biting her finger at panel :rolleyes:

Laura looks like a Avril Lavigne now with her makeover. Had to lol when Tyra said you have to work as a team but also stand out - then had bright red Catherine and two blondes in the same photo. I'm sure I know where my eye would go at first.