Options

The power of Nice

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 461
Forum Member
Did anyone read the article in The Times about the biggest factor in Tom's Apprentice success was being nice? It was an interesting read and I agreed with quite a lot of it.

The public and employers like nice people such as Kate Middleton and Darren Clarke. They are fed up of Simon Cowell, politicians and some journalists. Can't dig out the article as you have to be subscibed to The Times Online.

Comments

• Options
    soulmate61soulmate61 Posts: 6,176
    Forum Member
    Tom came out sharp in the board room, simultaneously attacking both Helen and Melody, when all 3 were staring at a sacking after they lost the churning sales task
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But then you get tv presenters who play nice on screen then are horrible off . Bet most people in big jobs have to be tough and hard to get there . The proplem comes when the mask slips and the public stops loving them
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alastair_r wrote: »
    But then you get tv presenters who play nice on screen then are horrible off . Bet most people in big jobs have to be tough and hard to get there . The proplem comes when the mask slips and the public stops loving them

Absolutely true! There are many genuinely nice people, but even they have to be tough or arse-kissers to advance their careers.

My least favourite type are the insincere 'nice' people. They claim they are too nice for anything nasty, but 95% of times, they're the first to use people as stepping stones, gossip, pot stir or backstab. Yes I'm looking at you, Davina McCall. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Takae wrote: »
    Absolutely true! There are many genuinely nice people, but even they have to be tough or arse-kissers to advance their careers.

My least favourite type are the insincere 'nice' people. They claim they are too nice for anything nasty, but 95% of times, they're the first to use people as stepping stones, gossip, pot stir or backstab someone. Yes I'm looking at you, Davina McCall. :D

:):):):):)
  • Options
    ĐironaĐirona Posts: 15,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    he was nice on the outside

steely inside

he knew his stuff that's why he won, not cos he's nice
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Like some tv people pretend they fell into the job. Then you find out they started writting to tv companies at school and wen't up for tv jobs for years and pretend everything just sort of happened
  • Options
    ~V~~V~ Posts: 17,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes I'm looking at you, Davina McCall. :D

:D:D:D:D

Oh yes
  • Options
    missfrankiecatmissfrankiecat Posts: 8,388
    Forum Member
    Đirona wrote: »

steely inside

I agree. I am amazed that people think he is weak or a loser. His strategy was to avoid being taken into the boardroom, to be unthreatening, to appeal to Lord Sugar by being logical and deferential but when he needed to have a dig at others he knew how to make them land. I thought his comment about Melody's 'business' was a winner all by itself.
  • Options
    ewoodieewoodie Posts: 26,759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

My least favourite type are the insincere 'nice' people. They claim they are too nice for anything nasty, but 95% of times, they're the first to use people as stepping stones, gossip, pot stir or backstab. Yes I'm looking at you, Davina McCall. :D

Why stop at Davina? What about the slaggy backstabbers who sleep with any old scumbag just to advance their careers?
  • Options
    CherrybomberCherrybomber Posts: 3,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Đirona wrote: »

steely inside

Being steely doesn't mean he can't be nice also. Nice decent bright people don't have to be a softie all the time.