Options

is the hype starting to fade for One Direction?

1141516171820»

Comments

• Options
    Zeus555Zeus555 Posts: 602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Coun3spice - I know that One Direction are the UK's 91st Best Selling Singles Act
    because someone recently put a great deal of research into compiling the UK's
    Top 246 All Time Singles Acts.

Before the release of 'Steal My Girl', One Direction were in 95th place, but the
    Single has sold around 76,000 in 2 Weeks, causing them to rise to 91st place.

It looks like the release of the Video will cause 'Steal My Girl' to rise back into
    the UK Top 10 on Sunday. Probably to No.6 or No.7. It will then have done this
    in 3 Weeks - 3 - 11 - 6 (or 7).
  • Options
    zeze88zeze88 Posts: 1,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vevo confirmed 1D didn't break the record, tweeting: "Thanks for bearing with us, 1D fans. We love how passionate this fandom is! As Harry said, #StealMyGirlOnVevo did not break the 24hr record."

Harry also tweeted: "Knock knock.. Who's there? 'A vevo record' a vevo record who? Only joking. Whoops."Just found out we didn't beat the Vevo record. But thank you guys for all your effort, the views were amazing! You're legends .x"

Well, that settles it - I just find it hilarious and a bit sad at the same time that ALL the media reported how they broke it, even MTV. It just shows once again how media are the biggest culprit on hyping 1D's popularity.
  • Options
    Mina_CameronMina_Cameron Posts: 1,563
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They've just extended the next tour into late 2015 and they have a new album due in November next year so they won't announce a hiatus until 2016 at the earliest. The tour extension shows they are more into it than they can sometimes appear and their schedule is really manageable these days.

Aren't they contractually obligated to release that album (that and a greatest hits) on their current agreement? As for the tour, well, they're going to keep milking the cow until it collapses as a bag of skin and bones and what better way to do that now, while the iron is still somewhat hot, than try and announce a tour mid next-year when their popularity has waned further.

I think they'll do fine album sales wise, they always do. But I find their stagecraft, general demeanor, and what they've shared of the new album (admittedly only two songs) underwhelming. Perhaps they can still surprise me though.
  • Options
    C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember people saying "the hype is fading" back in 2011 when their second single charted at #4(?) and was way short of What Makes You Beautiful. Eventually the "critics" will get it right, much like a broken clock is right twice a day.

2013 was huge for them - they were the biggest selling album act in the world, launched a massive worldwide stadium tour and had a hit movie. 2014 feels like they've taken their foot off the gas a bit. The tour is making mega bucks and the focus seems to have been on that. And on the side, rather than promoting singles or new concert movies, they're doing their own things. A prime example is the fact that for 3 weeks in a row Louis Tomlinson has been sitting in the X Factor studio with Simon Cowell on a Friday afternoon.

As for sales, it's worth remembering that the market has been continually falling in recent years. Being down a bit is actually up in "real terms". And 1D's singles sales have always been a bit out of kilter with their overall performance.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17
    Forum Member
    coun3spice wrote: »
    live while we're young single did not chart impressively the way it was predicted to be.. based on the pre order charts, youtube hits and twitter trending topic about it.

it hits a career high debut in usa at #3 but dramatically went down to #21 the next week

in uk 1D failed to score their 2nd number 1 after what makes you beautiful as it only went to #3 and after 3 weeks, it's now at #16

based alone to these figures and trend, is it fair to say or to have an opinion that 1D is slowly getting over to the hype that they've got? same with any other boybands in the past years
    Sweet mother of mercy, please let their reign of terror be finally coming to an end :(
  • Options
    RooftopcowboyRooftopcowboy Posts: 7,242
    Forum Member
    C14E wrote: »
    I remember people saying "the hype is fading" back in 2011 when their second single charted at #4(?) and was way short of What Makes You Beautiful. Eventually the "critics" will get it right, much like a broken clock is right twice a day.

2013 was huge for them - they were the biggest selling album act in the world, launched a massive worldwide stadium tour and had a hit movie. 2014 feels like they've taken their foot off the gas a bit. The tour is making mega bucks and the focus seems to have been on that. And on the side, rather than promoting singles or new concert movies, they're doing their own things. A prime example is the fact that for 3 weeks in a row Louis Tomlinson has been sitting in the X Factor studio with Simon Cowell on a Friday afternoon.

As for sales, it's worth remembering that the market has been continually falling in recent years. Being down a bit is actually up in "real terms". And 1D's singles sales have always been a bit out of kilter with their overall performance.

to be honest I thought that looked like Simon was keeping an eye on him, trying to keep him busy and out of trouble.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They will sing on The X Factor next weekend - this will be a great indicator whether the huge hype is still there, it will be normal to expect them to claim no. 1 spot, but if they don't, it will show that it has decreased a little.

However, since they hadn't performed the song on the single release, I find it strange that Simon didn't give them a slot before the album release.
  • Options
    DumdedumdumDumdedumdum Posts: 1,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zeze88 wrote: »
    They will sing on The X Factor next weekend - this will be a great indicator whether the huge hype is still there, it will be normal to expect them to claim no. 1 spot, but if they don't, it will show that it has decreased a little.

However, since they hadn't performed the song on the single release, I find it strange that Simon didn't give them a slot before the album release.

The slot is 8 days before the album release. The Steal My Girl single won't get #1 as it's been out too long but unless Adele does a Beyonce the album will definitely get #1. If they have less than the 5% (?) drop in sales the industry has experienced we'll know they're doing ok. They are also rumoured to have a new single out just before the album which will be interesting to look at.
  • Options
    andi84andi84 Posts: 2,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Do you mean the song has to climb #1 after the performance in order to prove the hype is still there? If so, I agree with Dumdedumdum, that's not going to happen, didn't even happen with Story Of My Life last year!
    If you meant their performance has to push the album to #1 in order to measure the hype, then I think they should be #1 regardless.

But taking of lost hype, I stumbled across Take That's numbers for their last studio album in 2010 (see here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progress_%28Take_That_album%29#Commercial_reception)
    --> 235k on the first day
    --> 520k in week 1
    --> 208k, 174k, 200k in weeks 2-4
    --> 1 million copies sold in 24 days

Now, the pre-order for the first single of their new album isn't even top 250 on itunes... Of course they've lost 2 members in the last four years, but still, that's pretty bad! And they will concentrate all their promo on the UK and Ireland, I guess, whereas One Direction "have to" do it all around the world, preferrably at the same time :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be fair, Take That have never been very successful with singles so thats not that shocking, especially now that they are a trio. Plus, Progress was a whole different league because Robbie came back.

On the side note, I still find trio concept ridiculous, they simply don't know when to stop. I do wonder how well will their album perform, I won't be that surprised if it will be bellow their standards considering everything.
  • Options
    musicjukebox123musicjukebox123 Posts: 745
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    andi84 wrote: »

But taking of lost hype, I stumbled across Take That's numbers for their last studio album in 2010 (see here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progress_%28Take_That_album%29#Commercial_reception)
    --> 235k on the first day
    --> 520k in week 1
    --> 208k, 174k, 200k in weeks 2-4
    --> 1 million copies sold in 24 days

Now, the pre-order for the first single of their new album isn't even top 250 on itunes... Of course they've lost 2 members in the last four years, but still, that's pretty bad! And they will concentrate all their promo on the UK and Ireland, I guess, whereas One Direction "have to" do it all around the world, preferrably at the same time :)

The thread isn't about Take That so it's a bit early to write them off and use as a deflective avoidance tactic instead of accepting the real issue at hand ;-). Yes there is a strong possibility their new album won't do as well as others in the UK at 2 million plus a piece. That's still well over double and going on towards triple the sales of One Direction in the UK for albums. Change in line up, album sales climate decline etc etc mean it's likely it won't be another UK all time best seller but potentially still a big for the climate seller..

Due to the fact singles are a young persons game I wouldn't read much into their single status either as they are a major albums selling act. It's obvious the singles charts are dominated by under 30's whereas the albums chart are the true representation of popularity. Who is going to buy the singles when 2mill+ own the albums? Take That also have young families so logistically can't just go around the world like in their younger days. Though they could make an exception this time as families are a bit older now. You can't compare the two you would need to compare 5 Seconds of Summer or the Vamps who are doing the teen boyband global travel thing not Take That.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can't compare the two you would need to compare 5 Seconds of Summer or the Vamps who are doing the teen boyband global travel thing not Take That.

I agree on that. Sometimes 1D fans get too excited and they want to show how they achieved other things that older boybands didn't. Things were lot harder back then, there wasn't Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, even Youtube, it was a completely different ball game. Yes, 1D have achieved a lot, but comparing them with older boybands is actually unfair.
  • Options
    musicjukebox123musicjukebox123 Posts: 745
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree on that. Sometimes 1D fans get too excited and they want to show how they achieved other things that older boybands didn't. Things were lot harder back then, there wasn't Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, even Youtube, it was a completely different ball game. Yes, 1D have achieved a lot, but comparing them with older boybands is actually unfair.

I agree the trio doesn't look right but the song is still good in my opinion. I don't think they wanted to be a three and left a huge gap for Jason hoping he would return as they had been working since last Christmas on the record but the deadline came and probably didn't want to waste a new album they waited right to last second hoping he'd change his mind. Logistically to make it work in time they had to push forward or abandon and so have chose the former.

I agree after this album Greatest Hits Vol 2 should come out and they evaluate where they want to go.

I also agree I suppose a world without the internet is a hard concept to understand for some people but it was a reality in the 90's. I agree circumstances are very different in ages and practicality also between a group in their early 20's who want to be the biggest and have #1's all over and one in their early 40's who have already done all that.
  • Options
    annushkaannushka Posts: 3,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think that the older groups had one good thing going for them: if the media decided to take an interest in them, they were front & center on magazines, TV & radios which were the main way to promote in the past.

With the internet, you can actually choose to see & hear what you want, click on the articles/videos you want & avoid the rest... I think that people have never been this "free" to avoid what they have no interest in thanks to the Internet. I am also sure that the too big amount of information available on the Internet makes it easy to miss things that we could be interested in.
    Many fans in the US had an interest in 1D before they arrived thanks to social media, but the truth is that those people now have a wide range of performers/groups to choose from. How many have tried to emulate Justin Bieber/1D in the social media & failed? But finally, a few are currently emerging.

So yes, I feel like the 1D hype is not on the rise anymore & probably starting to fade. Doesn't mean that they will disapear right away, but it seems to be the beginning of the downward spiral. We'll see how the album sales go (it's always been 1D's main thing).

BTW: Since it's been aknowledged that sales have dropped a lot in the last 20 years, why are we still comparing sales from earlier groups and current acts?
    Adele's sales have been extraordinary in the current climate, but sadly, it seems that we need to get used to the fact that the average sales have dropped significantly lower...
    And while I get why comparing the interest generated by the come back of Take That in 2010 & the current offering with only 3 members isn't fully fair, the comparison would at least be more relevant in terms of sales since both albums belong more to the same "era" when it comes to lower sales level.
  • Options
    farscapefarscape Posts: 2,902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think they'll properly fade until the next big group that takes the next wave of young girls by storm.
  • Options
    MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,543
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I agree. Once their performance airs on The X-Factor this weekend we'll really know if they hype has died down or not.
  • Options
    andi84andi84 Posts: 2,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MrSuper wrote: »
    I agree. Once their performance airs on The X-Factor this weekend we'll really know if they hype has died down or not.

By what criteria are you going to measure it? Twitter reactions? Boost on itunes? Official chart position? People talking about the performance at work the next day? :)
  • Options
    Mina_CameronMina_Cameron Posts: 1,563
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, I like the new song Ready to Run - this sound really works well for them. :)
  • Options
    Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,989
    Forum Member
    to be honest I thought that looked like Simon was keeping an eye on him, trying to keep him busy and out of trouble.

I looked at it more as they've just completed their third massive worldwide tour and had a couple of weeks off before promo for their album started so he had some spare time.

And for that reason, I don't see how the hype can wear off. They release an album, tour it for months all over the world the following year, take a couple of weeks off and then are back on the promo campaign for the next album.

They seem to be maturing their sound quite well with this album. I'm not really a fan except for a few singles but after liking SMG, I thought I'd give the album a chance and wasn't that good.

Zayn is still the only one I think is really worth listening too, and I have a new found respect for him after recently reading some of the truly vile (not DS vile), racist comments aimed at him, with Harry and to a lesser extent Liam also not too bad.

They will burn out slowly, they almost certainly won't face the drastic turn Bieber did for example, but they seem to be heavily involved in 5SOS who are slowly gaining a following so maybe when 1D take the inevitable 'hiatus' they will continue with that.

As long as they can sell out tours worldwide they will be fine.