Options

MTV EMA 2014 - 9 November 2014 - MTV Music and 5 - 9pm

12346»

Comments

• Options
    RooftopcowboyRooftopcowboy Posts: 7,242
    Forum Member
    This has got to be the worst 'major' awards show I have ever seen, apart from Grande & Minaj none of the winners have turned up, the performers have been distinctly B-list at best (U2 are A-list in terms of name, but a long long way past their best)

to put things in perspective last years show featured Katy Perry, The Killers, Eminem, Snoop Dogg, Kings Of Leon and the most controversial act of 2013 Miley Cyrus.
  • Options
    Stephen_SimpsonStephen_Simpson Posts: 756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm glad Cyrus isn't there. After that infamous performance with Robin Thicke...I hope she stays well clear of Glasgow when the cameras are on.
  • Options
    MaksonMakson Posts: 30,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lisa.B wrote: »
    "Cleopatra comin' atcha!"

I loved Cleopatra back in the day. :blush:

I can't believe Katy Perry knows that song and the group!
    What an honour for them:o
  • Options
    rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I saw Minaj try a take 'selfie.' She want on about 'f***ing dinosaur.' I think she was parodying what they did at the Oscars with Bradley Cooper, Meryl Streep, Brad Pitt, Angelina Jolie, Julia Roberts etc.
  • Options
    ScottishWoodyScottishWoody Posts: 23,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really dissapointed that there doesnt seem to be anyone there other than the performers (who probably wouldnt be if they weren't getting paid for it!)

I understand that Katy Perry is touring Oz at the moment, and no doubt other artists are doing other things, but award ceremonys, particularly the EMAs, are usually pretty big deals.

No wonder they keep showing flashbacks to previous years.
  • Options
    Lisa.BLisa.B Posts: 57,275
    Forum Member
    Alicia sounds a bit flat. :( Then again it does look like her waters could break at any minute!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Really dissapointed that there doesnt seem to be anyone there other than the performers (who probably wouldnt be if they weren't getting paid for it!)

I understand that Katy Perry is touring Oz at the moment, and no doubt other artists are doing other things, but award ceremonys, particularly the EMAs, are usually pretty big deals.

No wonder they keep showing flashbacks to previous years.

Probably a sign of MTV's declining influence, years ago getting your video on there was crucial to success, now they don't even show music! so acts and their management are more interested in getting on other TV shows and doing their world tours.
  • Options
    MandarkMandark Posts: 47,964
    Forum Member
    This has got to be the worst 'major' awards show I have ever seen, apart from Grande & Minaj none of the winners have turned up, the performers have been distinctly B-list at best (U2 are A-list in terms of name, but a long long way past their best)

to put things in perspective last years show featured Katy Perry, The Killers, Eminem, Snoop Dogg, Kings Of Leon and the most controversial act of 2013 Miley Cyrus.
    No doubt there will be a media inquest over the coming week. None of the major (or even the minor) male R&B or rappers have come over. And nearly all the big female names have stayed away. No Iggy who surely was the breakthrough artist of the year. Surprised Alicia Keys showed.
  • Options
    RedOrDead36RedOrDead36 Posts: 1,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MTV no longer relevant these days hence the no-shows. Back in the day they were a big deal.
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,674
    Forum Member
    MTV no longer relevant these days hence the no-shows. Back in the day they were a big deal.
    YouTube's been around for years now, though. It's a weaker than usual lineup for the EMAs but I wouldn't read too much into it. It's still a big deal when it's shown on their channels around the world. The VMAs earlier this year didn't fare too badly for guests. Maybe the A listers just didn't fancy Glasgow at this time of year? Can't say I blame them. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Probably a sign of MTV's declining influence, years ago getting your video on there was crucial to success, now they don't even show music! so acts and their management are more interested in getting on other TV shows and doing their world tours.
    True. They'd rather be on X Factor than at the EMAs. And yes anyone can post a video for a worldwide audience now. Nicki was wasted on this show.
  • Options
    richie4evarichie4eva Posts: 217,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Too much of a reliance on these crappy reality shows now sadly :(

This feels too cobbled together at the last minute

Milan next year, hopefully a much better show
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nicki Minaj stole the cone...she's Glasgow's most wanted now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ozzy Osbourne tribute at the end has probably been the best bit of the show
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    richie4eva wrote: »

Milan next year, hopefully a much better show

Has it been confirmed?
  • Options
    richie4evarichie4eva Posts: 217,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Has it been confirmed?

Nicki confirmed it at the end

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_MTV_Europe_Music_Awards
  • Options
    Lisa.BLisa.B Posts: 57,275
    Forum Member
    Has it been confirmed?

Nicki just announced it, Milan 2015 and for some reason it's not in November. Apparently it's Oct 25th?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh good. Bet you the stars will come out for that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thank god that's over. Hopefully the people of Glasgow can recover quickly from this horror show. Cya folks.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To think my sister wanted tickets for this show for her daughters.
  • Options
    Neil_NNeil_N Posts: 6,026
    Forum Member
    Why is it called EMA when most of the acts are American? As for Ariana Grande, she is just a glorified disney kid.
  • Options
    Stuart1000Stuart1000 Posts: 1,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was there last night. The show was absolutely brilliant in person. Watched it back on TV and agree it felt a little flat. A definite lack of winners present and star quality.

Here's a few wee secrets from within the arena though:

Paolo Nutini was scheduled to perform. His name appeared on all of the merchandise and in the programme but was never announced as a performer nor did he appear on the night.

Nothing happens during commercial breaks. We were just left standing in silence. I always thought they'd keep the party going somehow but nope, it just stopped for a few mins.

The drink vouchers that Nicki threw out to the crowd were real. They entitled you to one free alcoholic drink at the bar.

Nicki threw a brief diva strop on the arena floor en route to present a link in the middle of the crowd. She was shouting at her security guards and asking them to stop dragging her because she wanted to interact with her fans.

Labrinth spent longer on the red carpet than any other celebrity and took selfies with every single person in line.

In the arena, U2's performance went down like a lead balloon. You could hardly hear Bono's voice over talking at some points.

Overall, what a brilliant night though. It was great to be a part of it and it's something I'll always remember.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yeah Stuart, I think some of us could see that the audience was enjoying the show a lot more than most of us were. But then, hey! We're DS forum members! We're meant to be miserable!! :D