Whistle and I'll Come to You: Christmas Eve, BBC2, 21:00

Comments

• Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought this was beautifully made, but the story had been changed too much from the original story.
    IIRC, there was no wife in the original, and therefore no need to include the ring - it was just a little flute.

Second big gripe - why deprive us of picture area by making it in 2.35:1? It's not intended as a cinema release, so it can only be for 'style'. Bloody stupid.
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    Andy2 wrote: »
    I thought this was beautifully made, but the story had been changed too much from the original story.
    IIRC, there was no wife in the original, and therefore no need to include the ring - it was just a little flute.

Second big gripe - why deprive us of picture area by making it in 2.35:1? It's not intended as a cinema release, so it can only be for 'style'. Bloody stupid.

But the style was the best thing about it.

And no, there was no wife in the original. There are few, if any, women in MR James's stories.
  • Alvar HansoAlvar Hanso Posts: 2,542
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mm, so did she haunt him to death, the scene at the end implied that she too had died possibly, as a result of the shock, one minute she was in the chair, the next not

or was she projecting her soul, from the home like others said, to let her know she was still around, and it backfired
  • VientreVientre Posts: 1,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    An absolute load of old tosh, total garbage, scary my ass.
  • KirkfnwKirkfnw Posts: 1,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was surprisingly good for a modern adaptation of the original. The music was first class, and it did everything right to create a tense atmosphere.

Woman In Black is still the best IMHO, but it's very overrated and probably will come across as this to anyone seeking it out. The beauty of Woman In Black was it was completely unexpected.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 408
    Forum Member
    I have to say me and the OH thought this was fantastic. The atmospheric direction, artistic visuals and creepy sound, combined with a brilliantly creepy build-up, really made this a sublime piece to televisual cinema. John Hurt was fantastic and I thought it was quite unambiguous.

In our opinion, the ring was a talisman that brought the demented and tortured soul of his wife to him. The inscription "who is this who is coming" gave that bit away. Her screaming I am still here was truly terrifying, as was the scratching and then the door banging. I have to say the finger under the door were what got me and I;m a thirty-one year old man who grew up with horror films.

There will always be haters for anything and everything, but I am going to say bravo Beeb. A creepy classic to kick off Christmas.
  • trec123trec123 Posts: 4,419
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was really looking forward to this as I love a Ghost story on TV at Christmas, but it was so disappointing.
    Yes, there were some good atmospherics in it, but no real rhyme or reason to the story, in my view.
    I've never read it, but I'm guessing there's a lot been lost in the modernising of it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hardylane wrote: »
    Very excited about this. Superb to have John Hurt involved.

Recent BBC attempts to do the classic "Ghost Story for Xmas" have been hit and miss. The Haunted Airman was fairly rubbish, and Number 13 was so-so. View from a Hill was very good , and even Crooked House had it's moments...however, but nothing can chill like the Signalman, Warning to the Curious, and the original Whistle.

never seen any of these, gonna find the original whistle on you tube as someone said, you could find it there

has anyone else seen the creepy episode of bergerac someone refered to as utterly terrifying ?

does anyone else have any recommendations

the changeling to me, is still, the best ghost story I have seen, though I loved the adaption of the woman in black, that was on ITV some years ago (when she came through that window, I literally hit the ceiling)
  • dollylovesshoesdollylovesshoes Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If anyones interested I have added original story from youtube 1/3 parts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83CIwVKNjM4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tz4K8DQgk4s&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zdg22sRuJKU&feature=related

I enjoyed last nights program , John Hurt is soo good, still creeped me out although the original is fabulous.
  • roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What doors are these that have 3" gaps under them?. And people with Dementia are never all clothed in the same clothes, or all sat in regimented lines.
  • teacup333teacup333 Posts: 211
    Forum Member
    I agree with the posters who say it was garbage - why mess with the original? :mad:

just as well he died at the end though - I dread to think what kind of review of the hotel he would have written on TripAdvisor :D
  • LillithLillith Posts: 946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was very disappointed. It was just a vehicle for John Hurt. Why do TV producers take a story that is good and ruin it. The whole point of the story is that he found a whistle and blew it which summoned up something nasty.They should have called this version 'Ring and I'll come to you'. All the time I was watching it I could hear this sound like an old tumble dryer which turned out to be MR James spinning in his grave.
  • IggymanIggyman Posts: 8,021
    Forum Member
    It was better than I expected, but you really can't beat the original M R James story. :)

There are so few decent ghost stories around, only a few which I would class as genuinely creepy with overall good/great well adapted/written stories:

- The Changeling (starring George C Scott)
    - The Woman in Black (TV adaptation)
    - The Signalman (excellent adaptation from the BBC)

those are the oustanding ones for me, but there are others which I like, including the recent A View from a Hill, filmed and broadcast a few years ago by the BBC.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    just saw the original and must say, I prefer last night version

much more effective in my book
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,628
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Abysmal, and the ending was trite beyond belief. Having said that I don’t rate the Michael Hordern version either. Can nobody make a decent version of this story?
  • Mystery ManMystery Man Posts: 914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is The Woman in Black available anywhere? I keep hearing about it (and jumped out of my seat watching it in the West End!), and would love to see it - or it it quite old and thus unavailable?
  • alaninmcralaninmcr Posts: 1,685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Iggyman wrote: »
    It was better than I expected, but you really can't beat the original M R James story. :)

There are so few decent ghost stories around, only a few which I would class as genuinely creepy with overall good/great well adapted/written stories:

- The Changeling (starring George C Scott)

That's my favourite ghost story/film. It is so well done. How can a ball bouncing down some stairs be so terrifying? :eek: :D
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,628
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is The Woman in Black available anywhere? I keep hearing about it (and jumped out of my seat watching it in the West End!), and would love to see it - or it it quite old and thus unavailable?

They’ve remade it with Daniel Radcliffe and they’ve blocked the re-release of the Nigel Kneale adaptation so the new version doesn’t suffer by comparison. NOTHING is as scary as the original.
  • XXRunXXXXRunXX Posts: 2,485
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alaninmcr wrote: »
    That's my favourite ghost story/film. It is so well done. How can a ball bouncing down some stairs be so terrifying? :eek: :D

<Shudders violently>
    I've never forgotten that, really terrifying:eek:
  • kate36kate36 Posts: 13,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    XXRunXX wrote: »
    <Shudders violently>
    I've never forgotten that, really terrifying:eek:

i'm going to watch the rest of this later, i've seen part of it already and it's terrific!:eek::D

thanks for the heads up on the signalman........denholm elliott is perfectly cast in the role, will have to watch that all the way through as well
    gemma jones is superb as always

this has inspired me to look out my volume of ghost stories by M R James that i've got in the back of a cupboard somewhere!:p
    Forum Member
    Re: The Changeling
    alaninmcr wrote: »

Oh yes, VERY effective. And that hidden room. And the boy under the floorboards and in the bath. The running taps.

And a really excellent story and very creepy atmosphere. :D
    Forum Member

It sure is - on amazon.co.uk, amazon.com and Ebay

Prices are reasonable too - they've come down a LOT from the £100 or so that they were selling for a few years ago!

Well worth buying.
    Forum Member
    Re: The Woman in Black
    Straker wrote: »
    They’ve remade it with Daniel Radcliffe and they’ve blocked the re-release of the Nigel Kneale adaptation so the new version doesn’t suffer by comparison. NOTHING is as scary as the original.

I'm not at all happy about the way that the Nigel Kneale adaptation has been treated by Susan Hill (or whoever bought the home video rights from her). Okay, so Hill was nit-picky about it, but there's no need to deny other people the pleasure of watching it, especially as it has garnered such high praise, even amongst ghost story afficianados.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    No idea what any of it was about! What was the significance of the "bust" in his room that he placed in the wardrobe? Why did his wife disappear at the end? Not scarey, just very disappointing and totally confusing. Haven't really got a clue as to what the "story" was. It seems from other posts that I'm not alone.....any ideas anyone??
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    foff wrote: »
    No idea what any of it was about! What was the significance of the "bust" in his room that he placed in the wardrobe? Why did his wife disappear at the end? Not scarey, just very disappointing and totally confusing. Haven't really got a clue as to what the "story" was. It seems from other posts that I'm not alone.....any ideas anyone??

The bust was another red herring designed to ramp up the creepiness. No other reason.

The wife disappearing was just weird, although someone assumed it was because she had died.

I would've enjoyed it more if it hadn't been touted as being based on James's superb story. That set expectations high, and so when they mess with the plot it always comes as a disappointment.

No-one can conjure up an eerie atmosphere like M R James. The TV programme got a little of the atmosphere but fell down with the plot.