Options

37-stone man is forced to buy two plane tickets

13»

Comments

• Options
    nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There'd be no point if the aisles were blocked up with the blind, disabled, elderly, pregnant women and children.

Now that sounds like a plot from an Airplane film. All you'd need is the legs from a squashed guide dog poking out from under the pile. ;)
  • Options
    Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    There comes a time where someone's bulk should be a reason for a refusal to board a flight on safety grounds.

You can't get on fairground rides if you are a shorthouse, so you should be barred from a flight if you will substantially endanger others safety or chance of survival in a emergency situation.

What about other modes of public transport?

If you ban them from planes, should they be banned from buses, coaches, ferries and trains too?
  • Options
    Ivor BiggunIvor Biggun Posts: 2,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes - well if planes did frequently crash that would be an issue

...fortunately there's as much chance as winning the lotto as being in a plane crash :)

So safety grounds is not a good reason to exclude them, which is what was being put forward earlier.
  • Options
    RegTheHedgeRegTheHedge Posts: 2,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So safety grounds is not a good reason to exclude them, which is what was being put forward earlier.

You have the odds

Then you have the CAA - and its whatever they say that counts
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    Kiko H Fan wrote: »
    Erm, he DID buy two seats.

I'll be on that flight in a few days.

I'll report back on the sizes of passengers, along with their seating arrangements, for you.

Do you have a 'maximum size' for passengers?

No need to report back on anything thanks. I'm not that invested.

Try not to be so passive aggressive to the air stewards though, as you might find a bit of spit in your in flight meal.

I think it's reasonable to expect to be able to sit in a seat on a flight and not have another persons rolls of flab invade your personal space.
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not obese, but do have a wide back and 50 inch chest, so do take up slightly more than one seat. Luckily I always fly with my wife, who is very small, so I can raise the armrest and pinch some of her room!
  • Options
    jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,572
    Forum Member
    sootysoo wrote: »
    Try not to be so passive aggressive to the air stewards though, as you might find a bit of spit in your in flight meal.
    Just as an aside, I've never heard the term "passive aggressive" used in other Internet forums as much as it is here. Is it a unique DS thing?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    jjwales wrote: »
    Just as an aside, I've never heard the term "passive aggressive" used in other Internet forums as much as it is here. Is it a unique DS thing?

I think it's just a crappy human being thing. ;)
  • Options
    BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think it's reasonable to expect to be able to sit in a seat on a flight and not have another persons rolls of flab invade your personal space.

So did this man, hence him paying for 2 seats.

Unfortunately the airline booked him 2 seats in different parts of the plane, which unless he could split himself in 2, meant he was unable to use them.
  • Options
    Forum Member

They don't do meals on this flight as it's a short flight.
    You can buy sandwiches and drinks if you so wish.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,240
    Forum Member
    Only 2 seats? I've been pressed up against the window due to a chap less than have his size sitting next to me. His leg and shoulder were on my seat and as the plane was full, I had to endure a 5 hour flight in this position.
  • Options
    VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The airline maybe based their seat allocation on the Judgement of Solomon.
  • Options
    Jon OJon O Posts: 1,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    one of my mates is a big hefty man & he usually has to have his seat belt extended, I told him about this and he was flabbergasted & said if he was as big as that man he would not attempt to get on a plane. it was his opinion not mine before everyone has a go :rolleyes:
  • Options
    AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Many of you don't seem to have actually read the story - he DID pay for two seats (and quite rightly so) but they weren't next to each other which renders the whole "passengers over 20 stone need two seats" rule a bit pointless.
  • Options
    waz101waz101 Posts: 1,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think everyone has missed my point. I don't think that it happened - The guy is a fantasist.

Aer Lingus (Aer Arran) who operate the Cardiff to Dublin service do not impose any special terms on larger passengers or force them to purchase 2 seats http://www.aerarann.com/information/terms-and-conditions#Article7

In fact no UK based airline does.

The story is simply untrue
  • Options
    Forum Member
    waz101 wrote: »
    I think everyone has missed my point. I don't think that it happened - The guy is a fantasist.

Aer Lingus (Aer Arran) who operate the Cardiff to Dublin service do not impose any special terms on larger passengers or force them to purchase 2 seats http://www.aerarann.com/information/terms-and-conditions#Article7

And he has the DM sadface too.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It might be mainly true though. It seems believable that someone would be advised to buy two tickets when he informed the airline of his weight, and that they then accidentally issued two non-adjacent tickets. It's only the bit about it being 'a rule' for passengers over 20 stone that is wrong. Or it might be lies from beginning to end of course, but that sounds odder.
  • Options
    quin_the_eskimoquin_the_eskimo Posts: 517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    Yeah, but he paid for two seats and each one of them were in different rows. This means that half the money he forked out was for nothing.
    The buying of an extra seat is as much to compensate for the extra fuel needed to carry more weight. This is also why airlines charge excess baggage fees: Jet A is very expensive and the heavier the 'plane the more of it you need.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes but he may have voluntarily bought two tickets (for his own comfort) realising that in no way could he fit into one.
  • Options
    lionelmortonlionelmorton Posts: 558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Because he has paid for two seats? Just a thought, oh kind and tolerant person.

He did pay for two seats. Is that all right?

Have half the people posting on here not bothered to read the article? .

My comments , as with those of others are generalisations not particularly aimed at the named person or his circumstances.

Clearly my comment and that of the next person you highlighted was aimed at people who don't want to pay for two seats.:rolleyes:

Why should anyone have sympathy for someone whinging about being 37 stone?
    Didn't they perhaps think something was wrong when they reached 27 stone ?
    No doubt he'll still be complaining when he's 47 stone.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He is not 'whinging about being 37 stone', oh kneejerk one, he is whinging about paying for two seats on an aeroplane so he could accommodate that 37 stone and finding that they were not together. In a similar strain, I have several times seen parents complaining that they found themselves being seated separately from their 2 year olds, though probably not as bitterly as the person who ended up sitting next to the 2 year old. On the whole those parents are not treated with such automatic contempt, because dreadful though the sin is of having a 2 year old, it is less so than of having a large body.
  • Options
    david16david16 Posts: 14,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My comments , as with those of others are generalisations not particularly aimed at the named person or his circumstances.

Clearly my comment and that of the next person you highlighted was aimed at people who don't want to pay for two seats.:rolleyes:

Didn't they perhaps think something was wrong when they reached 27 stone ?
    No doubt he'll still be complaining when he's 47 stone.

If it due to an underlying health condition, or due to a disability forcing him to become inactive he could not help putting so much weight on.