Options

Where exactly does a tablet fit in?

1manonthebog1manonthebog Posts: 3,707
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I must be one of the few people who does not own a tablet, and the reason for that is I can't figure out where it would fit into my life.

When out and about I use my iPhone, when at home I use my laptop/notebook. My kids own iPads, never off them, but then they do not own a laptop.

Why would I want/need an iPad/Tablet?

Comments

• Options
    StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you are doing basic tasks like web browsing, email, Facebook etc. then a tablet is much easier than a laptop. It starts up faster, runs faster, isn't plagued with malware and updates.

I hardly turn my PCs on a home now. I only use them when a tablet won't do the job, which for me is when I need to download files or add email attachments.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I must be one of the few people who does not own a tablet, and the reason for that is I can't figure out where it would fit into my life.

Well i'm the other one :D

As much of a gadget freak as I am, I just don't see how i'd use one with any kind of regularity to justify having one. I've tried a few times over the years and bought a couple of cheap ones just to try them out to see if i'd use them but i'm very much like you - if i'm out i use my iPhone for music and the odd bit of web surfing if i'm travelling.

If i'm home i'll use my desktop - it's only about a foot away from my settee :)

I know a lot of people would say a tablet is far easier and quicker to boot up than a desktop is, which is obviously 100% correct, but i guess i have enough installed on my desktop to warrant it - I manage my NAS drive, I play the odd game here and there that wouldn't be possible on a tablet and i also fiddle around with trying to do a bit of coding as well.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,341
    Forum Member
    As a writer I can do some of what I'm working on over a pint in the pub and what else can you do if you can't sleep? But at the moment I've narrowed my options down to one of two cheapo ones from Argos (same specs and price). I was perfectly happy with my HP Stream (flooded more like but that's for another post) so I'm getting another one.
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Them 'basic things' are only classed as easier if you are not at a desk thus finding holding a PC etc cumbersome.

The use of 'Easier' has its own smallprint, especially with regards to PC technology.
  • Options
    kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

When out and about I use my iPhone, when at home I use my laptop/notebook. My kids own iPads, never off them, but then they do not own a laptop.

I take my iPad everywhere. Use it to watch TV/movies on the train, take notes on the move for my business, browsing, etc.

Now I have a desktop, I would be more likely to give up my laptop than my tablet.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    A tablet is revolutionary to all aspects of life. I use it for reading magazines, following cooking recipes in the kitchen, reading books, reading newspapers, listening to music, watching videos, looking up scientific papers, dating, booking theatre and cinema tickets, shopping for interesting things, showing off photos to friends and DS.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I must be one of the few people who does not own a tablet, and the reason for that is I can't figure out where it would fit into my
    life.

Nowt wrong with that.
    Who says you HAVE to have one?
    I work with a couple of people who still use pre-smartphone mobile phones and the said phones might be obsolete but they still work.
  • Options
    clonmultclonmult Posts: 3,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know a lot of people would say a tablet is far easier and quicker to boot up than a desktop is, which is obviously 100% correct, but i guess i have enough installed on my desktop to warrant it - I manage my NAS drive, I play the odd game here and there that wouldn't be possible on a tablet and i also fiddle around with trying to do a bit of coding as well.

I'm running W10 on my laptop. Only ever put it to sleep, it starts up almost instantly. My W8.1 tablet takes about 20 seconds to startup - quicker than most Android devices.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    motsy wrote: »
    Nowt wrong with that.
    Who says you HAVE to have one?
    I work with a couple of people who still use pre-smartphone mobile phones and the said phones might be obsolete but they still work.

Indeed, but the number of people walking past me, all the time being distracted by tiny smartphones is quite enormous. So much so that the sight of an old Nokia becomes a talking topic.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who ever starts up Android devices regularly? On these standby is as low as 15 milliwatts.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    Indeed, but the number of people walking past me, all the time being distracted by tiny smartphones is quite enormous.

That's nothing. I've seen people with bikes between their legs, one hand for steering and another hand for their smart phone and one guy,This isn't Motsy weirdness, had:
    His bike between his legs
    A can of Stella in one hand
    his mobile phone in the other.

Some cyclists don't ask, plead or beg to be involved in serious or fatal accidents stopped by the police, they DEMAND IT1!!
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    clonmult wrote: »
    I'm running W10 on my laptop. Only ever put it to sleep, it starts up almost instantly. My W8.1 tablet takes about 20 seconds to startup - quicker than most Android devices.

It's a habit of mine to shut my desktop down i suppose. I keep thinking that putting it to sleep would still mean it's using electricity and i'm just that tight :)
  • Options
    zz9zz9 Posts: 10,767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As a writer I can do some of what I'm working on over a pint in the pub and what else can you do if you can't sleep? But at the moment I've narrowed my options down to one of two cheapo ones from Argos (same specs and price). I was perfectly happy with my HP Stream (flooded more like but that's for another post) so I'm getting another one.

I'm a writer and I love my Surface RT .The RT and 2 come with full proper, non subscription, versions of Word, Excel, OneNote, PowerPoint and Outlook. The Type Cover is a proper keyboard yet the tablet and keyboard cover are wafer thin and easy to carry. I use a Word template to do script formatting and it works great. It synchs to my ms cloud so my documents are always safe and up to date and it has a proper USB socket if I want to use a memory stick.
    It's a great machine.
    The new Surface 3 is now full Windows 8, with free upgrade to 10, but Office is now only a years free subscription and then you have to pay. But my licence for MM Screenwriter can be installed on three PCs so I could install that if I got one.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some cyclists don't ask, plead or beg to be involved in serious or fatal accidents stopped by the police, they DEMAND IT1!!

Unfortunately it is mainly women cyclists being killed by tipper trucks in the capiltal. The negative 'you deserve it' attitude is as bad as racism in that it generates more hostility and thus more deaths.

There used to be a populist rag nicknamed The Scum. I hazard a guess that journalistic still gravitates to clickbait opinion.
  • Options
    psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unfortunately it is mainly women cyclists being killed by tipper trucks in the capiltal. The negative 'you deserve it' attitude is as bad as racism in that it generates more hostility and thus more deaths.

There used to be a populist rag nicknamed The Scum. I hazard a guess that journalistic still gravitates to clickbait opinion.
    Alright it's Friday evening and I've had a couple of pints so it's probably just me! But I cannot for the life of me work out what on earth you're saying and what it has to do with tablets? :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is a 'writer' guy on some weird Tablet thing taking the opportunity to attack cyclists.

Have another.
    :eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    zz9 wrote: »
    I'm a writer and I love my Surface RT .The RT and 2 come with full proper, non subscription, versions of Word, Excel, OneNote, PowerPoint and Outlook. The Type Cover is a proper keyboard yet the tablet and keyboard cover are wafer thin and easy to carry. I use a Word template to do script formatting and it works great. It synchs to my ms cloud so my documents are always safe and up to date and it has a proper USB socket if I want to use a memory stick.
    It's a great machine.
    The new Surface 3 is now full Windows 8, with free upgrade to 10, but Office is now only a years free subscription and then you have to pay. But my licence for MM Screenwriter can be installed on three PCs so I could install that if I got one.

Circumstances led me to downloading OpenOffice onto my laptop and former tablet and the beauty of it was, I could transfer everything I'd done in MS word into OpenOffice and that's where having an SD card comes in- I can go back and forth between laptop and tablet.
    I'm not getting a new tablet for the sheer sake of it or because I want a new one.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Sorry. Sorry.
    It wasn't intended as an attack on all cyclists or motor bikers, just the l motor bikers who think they're on Street Hawk (google it), in the motorbike sequence just after the start of AKIRA or think they're in a MAD MAX film and the cyclists I described or think they have automatic right of way on paths or pavements
  • Options
    zz9zz9 Posts: 10,767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Circumstances led me to downloading OpenOffice onto my laptop and former tablet and the beauty of it was, I could transfer everything I'd done in MS word into OpenOffice and that's where having an SD card comes in- I can go back and forth between laptop and tablet.
    I'm not getting a new tablet for the sheer sake of it or because I want a new one.

I actually bought a Linx 10 because someone recommended it.

It's a ten inch tablet that costs £149. But it runs Windows 8, and will get a free upgrade to Windows 10 at the end of the month, if you want it. That's full Windows 8.1. It is a PC. You could install Final Draft if you wanted, or any Windows PC programme including OpenOffice.

I hated Windows 8 on my PC because they tried to force a touch UI onto everyone, even if you had a desktop PC. But on a tablet the W8 Metro UI is great. All the tablet/touch gestures work great. But want to do some serious work and it has the full, traditional, Windows desktop which you can use with a USB or bluetooth keyboard and mouse.

It has a micro SD slot, HDMI out to connect a monitor or your HDTV and a micro USB (they supply a regular USB converter.)

It's a great tablet, that can do loads of things the iPad can't. And it is also a full PC. For £150. They do the case/keyboard for £24, which I haven't got so can't comment.

Downsides? The speakers are weak. They're small and on the back. It hasn't got the Surface's kick stand. And it goes without saying that this isn't the most powerful processor. You're probably best not try much 1080p video editing.
    But it's still very capable. You can have two video players open playing two different HD videos side by side perfectly and the processor is easily capable of that with no problems.
  • Options
    GormagonGormagon Posts: 1,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I don't think it's a want / need question. I think it is more a "what works better for you" question. Everyone is different.

I currently own and use a desktop, laptop, tablet and smartphone. They all happen to be Apple devices as it happens to work well for me, it may not for you.
    I use them, and carry them with me dependent upon how I will be working or traveling for that particular day. There are days when I know I will need the laptop and so carry it with me, but throw the iPad in the bag as well, and there are days I know I can do what needs to be done with just the iPad. There are even days I can get away with just having the phone in my pocket.

90% of the time i use my tablet ( iPad mini) as a reference device, it has documents on it I can refer to, or I can look up information either in a work environment or lying on the sofa trying to figure out what that actor appeared in before. If I have to I can log into remote windows / *nix servers to do some config work, or update various company documents. I would rather not do it on a tablet (especially a mini), but if I don't have a laptop with me it does the job.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16
    Forum Member
    OP I think you answered your own question really. I asked the same question a while back. I couldn't theoretically think of a use for a tablet.

But I like to give things a fair go so when I found a deal on a used Nexus 7 I bought it. The idea was to try use it and integrate it into my lifestyle to see if it added or was better than what I'm currently doing.

After a few months I sold the Nexus. I don't hate them but currently no benefit to me. It would be an expensive toy that I would occasionally use only because I own it.
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,633
    Forum Member
    I use my Android tablet almost exclusively as a portable TV / Radio player and streamer as not only does it have a larger screen than my phone but fills the app gap by having catch up apps (eg BT Sport) that are not available for Windows phones.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    gomezz wrote: »
    I use my Android tablet almost exclusively as a portable TV / Radio player and streamer as not only does it have a larger screen than my phone but fills the app gap by having catch up apps (eg BT Sport) that are not available for Windows phones.

Fair enough. I haven't got anything against android tablets, it's just that some of my creational needs require windows based software but what I want to know is why certain apps aren't also available on Windows Store.
    Dragon's Lair on a Hauwei y300 sceen I don't think so (Doing animation myself I admire Don Bluth).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who ever starts up Android devices regularly? On these standby is as low as 15 milliwatts.

No point in wasting energy, I'll switch the tablet off but leave the phone on.
  • Options
    victorslotvictorslot Posts: 619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Tablets have been around for several years now and if you have to ask the question you clearly don't need one. Whether you want one or not is a different question.

Unless you need one in a working environment then owning one is a want not a need. Most people fall into the want category.

I don't need my iPhone, I could make and receive all my calls by landline; I don't need my iPad Air, I could sit at a desk and use my desktop for emails, surfing and productivity or sit in front of my TV to watch catchup TV, youtube etc; I don't need my 4G iPad Mini, I could stop doing all I do on my iPad Air whilst out travelling and wait till I got home; I don't need my MacMini or Macbook; I could use my old Dell PC (which now runs Linux instead of Windows).

But using all these gadgets just makes life more convenient for me as they all work seamlessly together. I can communicate, research, watch video or TV, listen to music or radio and many other things whenever I want wherever I want. No, it's not a cheap option but at the moment I can afford to do this, it adds to the variety of life and life is short so I enjoy it whilst I can.

Only you can truly answer whether its for you or not.