Options

London Fire Brigate to go on strike on Bonfire Night!

AdsAds Posts: 37,062
Forum Member
What a disgraceful act. They will have blood on their hands if anyone dies through a bonfire related incident, which would have been dealt with succesfully if a normal service was operating.

Comments

• Options
    mad_dudemad_dude Posts: 10,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ads wrote: »
    What a disgraceful act. They will have blood on their hands if anyone dies through a bonfire related incident, which would have been dealt with succesfully if a normal service was operating.

It is quite likely they will break the strike if there is a situation that is life threatening. They just wont rescue cats from trees
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    Perhaps Bonfire night will be cancelled in London on health and safety grounds. For every one who loves 5 November there are probably 2 more – especially the elderly – who hate the prospect of being kept awake until 3am by an endless sound of wizzzz crash bang wallop!

Its probably about time anyway we halted this annual celebration of the persecution and burning of Catholics!
  • Options
    GwrxVurferGwrxVurfer Posts: 5,359
    Forum Member

Ummm.....Why? :confused::confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Haven't they just had a strike? i'm sure I read there was a strike and some fire fighters had some grief for crossing the line.
  • Options
    occyoccy Posts: 65,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They wouldn't be allowed to have bonfire displays without proper cover from the brigade. They are going to strike over changes to the rota system. When they striked last week, a couples house was gutted because the freelance firefighters didn't know how to operate the equipment correctly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    GwrxVurfer wrote: »
    Ummm.....Why? :confused::confused:

Exactly - no one is forced to let off fireworks or attend displays.

The taxpayer or firefighters shouldn't be held responsible for people's stupidity!
  • Options
    occyoccy Posts: 65,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought there would be a government law that if there was too be a major incident they would have to suspend the strike.
  • Options
    AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Well they are fools. If they wanted to gain absolutely no sympathy whatever for their cause they will have succeeded.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    They will have blood on their hands if anyone dies through a bonfire related incident, which would have been dealt with succesfully if a normal service was operating.

I love the term 'bonfire related incident'. How about people don't light fires in residential areas?
  • Options
    mad_dudemad_dude Posts: 10,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    occy wrote: »
    I thought there would be a government law that if there was too be a major incident they would have to suspend the strike.

I think emergency powers allow the government to suspend the right to strike of anyone.
  • Options
    MajlisMajlis Posts: 31,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whatever the rights or wrongs of the dispute, I'm not convinced that striking at such a time, when there are mainly children at risk, will improve public support for their cause.
  • Options
    Phil 2804Phil 2804 Posts: 21,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Annsyre wrote: »
    Well they are fools. If they wanted to gain absolutely no sympathy whatever for their cause they will have succeeded.

So its OK then to propose sacking your entire staff and then rehire them on poorer contracts for no good reason?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Phil 2804 wrote: »
    So its OK then to propose sacking your entire staff and then rehire them on poorer contracts for no good reason?

Not poorer contracts - just different shift patterns. I believe the proposal has effectively been on the table for 5 years - how long must an employer wait to run its organisation in the way it wants to?
  • Options
    divingbboydivingbboy Posts: 14,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Absolute scum. Brilliant way to get the public behind you...............
  • Options
    bhoy07bhoy07 Posts: 25,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I was told to sign a new contract that meant I'd work longer shifts during the day and shorter night shifts or get sacked I'd tell them to GTF as well.
  • Options
    AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Phil 2804 wrote: »

What?

I am talking about the timing of their strike - no one will give a damn about the issues because they will get so much ill will.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bhoy07 wrote: »
    If I was told to sign a new contract that meant I'd work longer shifts during the day and shorter night shifts or get sacked I'd tell them to GTF as well.

Exactly.

I'm fed up of hearing from Brian Coleman saying he is relaxed about this dispute. He seems happy to put Londoners at risk to prove to his party about how tough he is with the Unions.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Groups will strike for maximum effect / impact / coverage

I'm sure that if anything really serious happened then the strikers would go back to work to assist
  • Options
    rusty123rusty123 Posts: 22,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Majlis wrote: »
    Whatever the rights or wrongs of the dispute, I'm not convinced that striking at such a time, when there are mainly children at risk, will improve public support for their cause.

What cause? They are changing the shift patterns not laying people off. Reducing night shift by three hours from 15 to 12 and upping the day shift by the same amount is hardly worthy of industrial action.
  • Options
    TiffaniTiffani Posts: 5,444
    Forum Member
    How irresponsible and selfish to pick one of the busiest nights of the year to go on strike. I think when you are in a profession where peoples lives depend on you it is wrong to go out on strike.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I find the outrage on this thread hilarious.

If you put your kids at risk of being burned or maimed by exposing them to bonfires and fireworks then you only have yourself to blame.

I'm still amazed that any one can pop into Tescos and buy these dangerous weapons - Tesco might as well sell guns and bullets!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    I find the outrage on this thread hilarious.

If you put your kids at risk of being burned or maimed by exposing them to bonfires and fireworks then you only have yourself to blame.

I'm still amazed that any one can pop into Tescos and buy these dangerous weapons - Tesco might as well sell guns and bullets!

Agree - it sounds like, "I demand that you save me from myself!" :D
  • Options
    Mister MaganeseMister Maganese Posts: 2,709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    Exactly - no one is forced to let off fireworks or attend displays.

The taxpayer or firefighters shouldn't be held responsible for people's stupidity!

No one is forced to become a firefighter either.

They should get on with the job they chose to do, or leave the service altogether.
  • Options
    divingbboydivingbboy Posts: 14,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Last year, a few miles south of where I live, a woman was burned to death when some yobs put some bangers through her letterbox and set her house on fire. I'm sure her family are comforted by how rip-roaringly hilarious that was.
  • Options
    Mister MaganeseMister Maganese Posts: 2,709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    divingbboy wrote: »
    Last year, a few miles south of where I live, a woman was burned to death when some yobs put some bangers through her letterbox and set her house on fire. I'm sure her family are comforted by how rip-roaringly hilarious that was.

Sometimes it's hard to believe that kids can be THAT clueless about the repercussions of what they do.