Peter Barlow spoiler

PyramidbreadPyramidbread Posts: 10,448
Forum Member
✭✭
Coronation Street’s Peter Barlow will pull through after being injured in the recent explosion, but will hit the bottle once more as he struggles to come to terms with his new life.

The recovering alcoholic was left fighting for his life under the wreckage of The Joinery in dramatic episodes of the ITV1 soap last week. As he struggle to adjust to being wheelchair-bound after sustaining horrific injuries in the disaster, it has been revealed that the dad of one will fall off the wagon once more.

Peter – played by Chris Gascoyne – will become frustrated when he drops all his groceries while out shopping, and as he wheels past an off-licence, the temptation to give in to his former vice proves too much.

However, as well as his drinking causing problems with his new wife Leanne Battersby (Jane Danson) – who he married in hospital when it was believed he may not recover from his injuries – the couple will see boozy babe Carla (Alison King) cause a wedge between them.

The Underworld manager – who was saved from her own battles with alcohol by Peter – will grow increasingly close to the bookie as she realises he has secretly resumed his former drinking habits.

An insider told the Daily Star newspaper: “Peter refused to give up on Carla when she was in the gutter, now it’s her turn. But it’s not a selfless act because she’s desperate to sink her claws into him.

“The longer she’s by his side, the greater the chance she has of getting him to herself.”

However, with doctors warning Peter his sex life may never return to normal, both women may need to make sacrifices to be with the man of their dreams.

Source

Poor Peter :(

Comments

• valtimmyvaltimmy Posts: 7,158
    Forum Member
    I thought as much. Nothing will be the same as it was.
    He was quoted as saying that his life starts now.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 459
    Forum Member
    Hmmm, anyone else think this is all a bit predicatable???
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,980
    Forum Member
    Glad this storyline's staying at the forefront of the show with more triwts and turns. Great to see PC's first proper long running storyline is a really compelling one.

In other news I'm glad he's keeping Stape on:D..really starting to like him lately and he is a great character. He must be the murderer they were talking about a while ago-I thought it would be Owen.
  • PyramidbreadPyramidbread Posts: 10,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ave83it wrote: »
    Hmmm, anyone else think this is all a bit predicatable???

Making a character that has 45 years worth of history with the show wheelchair bound? Not really
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,168
    Forum Member
    aww poor peter. take it they have to move from the flat then? its good in a way not to mave some miraculaous soap recovery, i just hope they dont go down the route of leanne staying with him out of guilt, and although i love carla to bits, i dont want her schemeing to get peter either.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    evamoo wrote: »
    aww poor peter. take it they have to move from the flat then? its good in a way not to mave some miraculaous soap recovery, i just hope they dont go down the route of leanne staying with him out of guilt, and although i love carla to bits, i dont want her schemeing to get peter either.

I hope there wont be a miraculous recovery, they could fit the Bookies flat with things to help him get about
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't say I'm looking forward to this, I love Carla and I love when she's strong and fiesty and manipulative, I don't like when they have her act all desperate.. I like the idea of her looking out for Peter but this makes her sound slightly insane :p considering she's still drinking I don't see how she'd be any help. But then this is coming from the Daily Star so I guess I'll hope it doesn't play out exactly like that, heh.

I'm glad they're following through with his injuries though and he isn't making a miracle recovery.
  • Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I posted this in another thread:

Well, believing in the sanctity of marriage as I do, now that Leanne and Peter are married, I wish them well and sincerely hope that things will work out well for them and Simon; it will not be an easy road they will tread and there will be obstacles, but I send them my very best wishes.

It will not be an easy road. I hope that Leanne's character will be broadened and given courage and strength, and that her in-laws will support her and Peter.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anybody know if he will be permanently in a wheelchair?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fumb Duck wrote: »
    Does anybody know if he will be permanently in a wheelchair?

Not sure, the article seems to hint that its a possibility
  • dickronsondickronson Posts: 2,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    k-lou wrote: »
    Can't say I'm looking forward to this, I love Carla and I love when she's strong and fiesty and manipulative, I don't like when they have her act all desperate..

Carla probably wants him to get back on the booze, all the easier for her to get her own way, Selfish cow.
    She is the very definition of desparate, do you remember when she hung around in the shadows at Maria and Liams wedding, literally begging him to marry her instead?
    It was mortifying.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure, the article seems to hint that its a possibility

:(:(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 376
    Forum Member
    Perhaps the wheelchair is just while he recovers? Two characters in wheelchairs - they're really going to have to step up the disabled access facilities in Corrie establishments.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 440
    Forum Member
    Why's he in a wheelchair? Did I miss them mention his injuries that would render him unable to walk?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    whiskydry wrote: »
    Why's he in a wheelchair? Did I miss them mention his injuries that would render him unable to walk?

It's not been mentioned yet, the doctors were focused on keeping him alive
  • Wish1672Wish1672 Posts: 96
    Forum Member
    Does swelling on the heart cause you to live in a wheelchair then???

I really havent enjoyed Corrie these past weeks......
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wish1672 wrote: »

Like I said, the doctors were focused on keeping him alive, he was knocking on deaths door, I don't think they will have wasted time with X-rays yet (remember it was set in one night, so Peter will have been in hospital for an hour)
  • Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    This seems like an interesting storyline, I'm glad he doesn't die
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 54
    Forum Member
    Wish1672 wrote: »

When they where rushing him in to the hospital, they mentioned lower back trauma or words to that effect, it wasn't just the bleeding round his heart that was the issue, but it was the one most likely to kill him at the time!
  • IndegIndeg Posts: 1,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dibdab wrote: »
    When they where rushing him in to the hospital, they mentioned lower back trauma or words to that effect, it wasn't just the bleeding round his heart that was the issue, but it was the one most likely to kill him at the time!
    Yep, it was practically the first thing they said when he arrived at the hospital - crush injuries to the legs and lower back and possibly also the chest. When talking to the family, though, the doctors focused on the most immediately life-threatening injury, rather than overwhelm them with the entire laundry list.

Plus, way back at the club when Ashley and Nick first tried moving him, he tried to stand and couldn't, they had to sit him down again immediately. Then when they were almost out, Nick shouted to the firefighters that they had an injured man who couldn't move - it all pointed to a possible spinal injury. In which case Ashley was right, moving him would have made it worse - but better that than leaving him there to die.
  • Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if Peter will always be in a wheelchair from now on like Chris Tate in Emmerdale was? Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't he get paralysed during the plane crash?
  • IndegIndeg Posts: 1,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if Peter will always be in a wheelchair from now on like Chris Tate in Emmerdale was? Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't he get paralysed during the plane crash?
    He did, yes. In Peter's case, it will depend on the nature of his injury. Some spinal injuries do heal over time, so that paralysis is only temporary, meaning he might eventually recover. If the spinal cord was severed, however, the paralysis would be permanent.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,315
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Im actually liking this storyline for him. I think its a bit odd him being an alcy again but then with him been wheelchair bound its kinda expected. I also like the fact carla will help him, im a huge alison king fan and think shes an amazing actress so im all for this storyline. It will be intresting to see how leanne takes having her husband stuck in a wheelchair especially when shes got a simple route on tap [not trying to sound harsh] but nick is like there and ready to wisk her off her feet. So i think this will be intresting and a good route to take peter, x
  • ::Adam::::Adam:: Posts: 7,223
    Forum Member
    How's he going to get into his flat?! xD sorry.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,315
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ::Adam:: wrote: »
    How's he going to get into his flat?! xD sorry.

they'll have to get him a lift:p or maybe carla could carry him up the stairs:o i dont think she'd mind.