Jennifer Lopez named most powerful Celebrity by Forbes

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 471
Forum Member
http://www.forbes.com/celebrities/
It used to be enough for a celebrity to act or sing or swing a bat really well. Now to be considered a real success, he or she needs to sell clothes, hawk fragrances–maybe even invest in technology startups.

While she hasn’t stormed Silicon Valley just yet, Jennifer Lopez is a state-of-the-art celebrity success story. With $52 million in earnings over the last 12 months and a massive amount of fame, Lopez lands at No. 1 on our Celebrity 100 list for the first time.

A few years ago it looked like Lopez was done. Her albums, like the all-Spanish Como Ama una Mujer, failed to find the broad audience she once enjoyed. Her movies, like El Cantante, flopped.

Then in 2010 the singer landed a judge’s chair on American Idol. The job gave her a platform to promote her music and turn her image around. It didn’t hurt that she also split from her husband, Marc Anthony. Suddenly a single mother, Lopez lapped up the media attention and scored lucrative endorsement deals with companies like L’Oreal and Gillette. She now has a line of clothing at Kohl’s, a top-selling fragrance and she was able to secure a nice bump—to $20 million–on her Idol salary for a second season. With 6.6 million followers on Twitter and 12 million fans on Facebook, she’s also proved a master of social media.

Top 10:

1. Jennifer Lopez
2. Oprah Winfrey
3. Justin Bieber
4. Rihanna
5. Lady GaGa
6. Britney Spears
7. Kim Kardashian
8. Katy Perry
9. Tom Cruise
10. Steven Spielberg

Comments

• PaacePaace Posts: 14,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its the ass what does it.:eek:
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd have thought Tom Cruise had more than $52m. I thought he maybe had about $80m+. Film stars are usually insanely loaded! Well over $100m.
  • Neighbours_FanNeighbours_Fan Posts: 7,514
    Forum Member
    zx50 wrote: »
    I'd have thought Tom Cruise had more than $52m. I thought he maybe had about $80m+. Film stars are usually insanely loaded! Well over $100m.

That's his earnings for the last year.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 471
    Forum Member

I think they have him down at $75 Million, but this list isn't just about money, most of the top 10 have out earned J-lo, she's ranked 30 in just the money list. It ranks internet influence, magazine coverage, TV/Radio exposure etc as well.

Here's the money top 20:

1. Oprah Winfrey - $165M
    2. Micheal Bay - $160M
    3. Steven Spielberg - $130M
    4. Jerry Bruckheimer - $114M
    5. Dr. Dre - $110M
    6. Tyler Perry $105M
    7. Howard Stern - $95M
    8. James Patterson - $94M
    9. George Lucas - $90M
    9. Simon Cowell - $90M
    11. Glenn Beck - $80M
    11. Elton John - $80M
    13. Tom Cruise - $75M
    14. Dick Wolf - $70M
    15. Rush Limbaugh - $69M
    16. Manny Pacquiao - $67M
    17. Donald Trump - $63M
    18. Bon Jovi - $60M
    19. Ryan Seacrest - $59M
    20. Tiger Woods - $58M
    20. Britney Spears - $58M
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's his earnings for the last year.

I wonder why Jennifer's at number one then? A lot of them seem to have quite a bit more than her.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think they have him down at $75 Million, but this list isn't just about money, most of the top 10 have out earned J-lo, she's ranked 30 in just the money list. It ranks internet influence, magazine coverage, TV/Radio exposure etc as well.

Here's the money top 20:

1. Oprah Winfrey - $165M
    2. Micheal Bay - $160M
    3. Steven Spielberg - $130M
    4. Jerry Bruckheimer - $114M
    5. Dr. Dre - $110M
    6. Tyler Perry $105M
    7. Howard Stern - $95M
    8. James Patterson - $94M
    9. George Lucas - $90M
    9. Simon Cowell - $90M
    11. Glenn Beck - $80M
    11. Elton John - $80M
    13. Tom Cruise - $75M
    14. Dick Wolf - $70M
    15. Rush Limbaugh - $69M
    16. Manny Pacquiao - $67M
    17. Donald Trump - $63M
    18. Bon Jovi - $60M
    19. Ryan Seacrest - $59M
    20. Tiger Woods - $58M
    20. Britney Spears - $58M

Bit puzzled about that, because I thought I'd seen a news report on TV a while ago where they said he was the first billionaire sportsman.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm sure she can be a right diva. Here's a document of her dressing room demands for doing a charity record. Apparently she likes white.

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/backstage/divas/jennifer-lopez-0
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 471
    Forum Member
    Bit puzzled about that, because I thought I'd seen a news report on TV a while ago where they said he was the first billionaire sportsman.

Its just his earnings from last year only, not his total earnings.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its just his earnings from last year only, not his total earnings.

Ah right. I see what you mean now.
  • lucy manelucy mane Posts: 10,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • guffybearguffybear Posts: 1,752
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The thread title says most powerful and then Mrs Federline is listed at number 6

How can this be when she does not have power over her own affairs
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lucy mane wrote: »
    Rumours are worth crap.
    ]

These are NOT rumours, these are facts.

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/file/jennifer-lopez-rider
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paace wrote: »
    These are NOT rumours, these are facts.

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/file/jennifer-lopez-rider

IF that's right, talk about diva alert!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    J-Lo more powerful than Oprah? What a complete joke and insult!!!
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,265
    Forum Member
    Britney made $58 million last year? Guess she won that battle with Christina.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,852
    Forum Member
    Kim Kardashian beats Katy perry.
  • HenryBaneHenryBane Posts: 4,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    J.Lo has American Idol to thank for everything, I hear rumours she's leaving, which is probably a bad move considering this list.
  • PADDY75PADDY75 Posts: 785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nyota wrote: »
    J-Lo more powerful than Oprah? What a complete joke and insult!!!

I think Jlo may have a pretty spectacular PR team to pull this off. As with most things that are in a magazine or newspaper, most of the public will look at this as fact. I just don't see how she was placed above Rihanna, Gaga and Bieber. One doesn't have to be a fan any of them to see this kinda makes no sense.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PADDY75 wrote: »
    I think Jlo may have a pretty spectacular PR team to pull this off. As with most things that are in a magazine or newspaper, most of the public will look at this as fact. I just don't see how she was placed above Rihanna, Gaga and Bieber. One doesn't have to be a fan any of them to see this kinda makes no sense.

Exactly. She might be on American Idol but there is no way she's more relevant or has more influence than those you named, let alone someone like Oprah.

PR teams like J-Lo's are such a joke. It's insulting how they treat us all like we were born yesterday, although unfortunately enough people take everything they read as gospel so they get away with it.