Options

HO - Better with Ste?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Susie-RSusie-R Posts: 1,105
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No it was better that it was Cheryl it made a much more touching ending and Emmett Scanlan and Bronagh Waugh are both such great actors
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hihopes wrote: »
    Yes, it's very hard to have discussions when as soon as you mention Ste and Brendan in the same sentence, you get lumped in a 'Stendaner' corner. No thought given towards the fact Ste was Brendan's biggest contradiction, flaw, goal and salvation, therefore INTEGRAL to the man's exit.

And we ARE talking about his exit here, not just any old scene. So if we think Ste should have been a bigger part of it, I think that's reasonable.

but Ste isn't really the cause/motive of Brendan's exit unless you want to consider him guilty for calling the police, Brendan's exit was all centred about his demons i.e Walker and his dad. I agree Ste is a great part of his time on the show and his desire to be a good man, but the exit itself wasn't focused on him. What would you do with Cheryl if every single scene is going to be with Ste? Moreover, you have to consider Cheryl will also leave probably in a few days so this is their exit sl once again Ste couldn't take her screen time in this important scenes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    _elly001 wrote: »
    I agree to an extent. It worked with Cheryl shooting Seamus, and I don't think it would have had the same emotional impact if Ste had done it. But I would have liked to see Brendan let Ste into the club and the three of them be involved in those final scenes together. It just felt weird, Ste being an outsider and not knowing what was going on. Also, Brendan's line about Cheryl being the only one who never let him down I felt was a little strange, as I don't think Ste ever has either, really. Sure, he's done some stupid things when it comes to Brendan, but Cheryl hasn't exactly been a saint either.

So yeah, I wish Ste had been let into the club, and that Brendan had said goodbye to him properly, the way he did with Cheryl. I did love that line about seeing him in another life when he got outside, but I definitely wanted more interaction than that in what has been such a crucial aspect of Brendan's character.

well if your boyfriend thinking you're capable of murdering your best friend (Rae) it isn't a let down, then I don't know what it is. Ste also believed Brendan guilty over Kevin, and before someone says that Ste had his reasons because Brendan beat him up, don't forget Cheryl witnessed him chopping up a body and still was capable to support him when it mattered.
  • Options
    JoanneKJoanneK Posts: 25,104
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it was probably right that it was Cheryl there with him but I do think Ste should have been included more throughout the last few weeks. Brendan is not all about Ste (and the same for the other way around) but I thought there was room for more Ste/Brendan. For example, they glossed over the whole violence thing a bit too quickly for me.
  • Options
    Sifter22Sifter22 Posts: 12,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nah, it can't always be about Ste. There's no way there would've been the same intense emotion there with him. Cheryl was the only one it could've worked with.
  • Options
    NeomysterioNeomysterio Posts: 13,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No! It had to be Cheryl.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 191
    Forum Member
    NO had to be Cheryl
  • Options
    margarite6666margarite6666 Posts: 2,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't like the idea that Brendan did not say goodbye to Ste in anyway. However, had he let him in then he wouldn't have been able to do what he did.

As soon as his dad turned up and Walker came back he became retraumatized: there is no way you can kill someone and not be effected by it. He was just beginning to turn his feelings on again which is why he said 'so close'.

Anyway this is why Ste goes to 'find answers' tonight because he left Brendan happy and all this happened. Cheryl seems to just leave which is very odd when you consider all the investigations and the post mortem that has to take place. What was interesting was putting 'I wish he loved me as much as I loved him' on the trailer for this week. This is probably the thoughts that will make him go down a dark spiral; the thought that Brendan sacrificed himself for Cheryl without thinking about the impact it would have on him.
  • Options
    _elly001_elly001 Posts: 11,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    well if your boyfriend thinking you're capable of murdering your best friend (Rae) it isn't a let down, then I don't know what it is. Ste also believed Brendan guilty over Kevin, and before someone says that Ste had his reasons because Brendan beat him up, don't forget Cheryl witnessed him chopping up a body and still was capable to support him when it mattered.

Cheryl basically shut him out for ages after she saw him chopping up that body. She even tried to prevent him from going to Lindsay's funeral. And there have been other times that she has shown poor judgement when it comes to Brendn as well - she acted extremely blindly when Seamus came on the scene, too.

I'm not saying Ste is a saint but he's always come good with Brendan when it counts, and unlike Cheryl, Brendan has given Ste numerous reasons not to trust him. I don't know, I was just surprised that he said to Cheryl that she was the only one when there was a fairly substantial amount of time when she wasn't talking to him at all, and blocking all his attempts to make up for things, and ignoring his clear distress over his father being there. I don't feel Cheryl has always 'been there' for him, which is what that statement was implying.
  • Options
    PlantPlant Posts: 11,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sounds like true to form Cheryl was selfish to the end. If she'd took the blame she could have got off with manslaughter and been out in a few years. I hope Ste doesn't forgive her and that's why she leaves so quickly.
  • Options
    thejoyof_patthejoyof_pat Posts: 30,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Plant wrote: »
    Sounds like true to form Cheryl was selfish to the end. If she'd took the blame she could have got off with manslaughter and been out in a few years. I hope Ste doesn't forgive her and that's why she leaves so quickly.

Yeah because we couldn't have a multiple killer pay for any of crimes could we? :rolleyes:
  • Options
    hihopeshihopes Posts: 719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree with those of you saying it was ultimately about his childhood, and Cheryl needed to be there more so than Ste, since she was a part of his childhood and he wasn't.

I guess for me, Ste and Brendan's story just feels unfinished. :o They went through so much, then there was the beating last week. It's like we needed to see them heal and grow still.... but it was suddenly interrupted by this and then BANG, Brendan's gone.

But I suppose that's exactly how it's supposed to feel. And I suppose that's why Ste's gonna go all crazy.

I think, since Ste and Brendan have had so many months of development and care, and those beautifully shot Dublin episodes that felt like 'Hollyoaks Specials', it's ok that that last episode allowed Cheryl to take over.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,202
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think this IS the point. Brendan wouldn't hav been able to leave Ste behind. He could leave Cheryl behind because he knew he was saving her.
  • Options
    dublintvfandublintvfan Posts: 5,077
    Forum Member
    Plant wrote: »

no, cheryl wanted too take the blame but Brendan refused to let her he didnt want her life to be ruined cause of seamus cause hes already caused enough damage
  • Options
    IzzyInTheHouseIzzyInTheHouse Posts: 4,348
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hihopes wrote: »
    Just because you don't like Ste, doesn't take away from the fact that he is for sure one of Hollyoaks most iconic, recognisable, widely-known characters. And I promise you, he is.

He's also undoubtedly one of their strongest actors. I'm sure you're determined to disagree with me here too, but when given hard-hitting, vulnerable, intense material - Kieron Richardson is far superior to a majority of that cast.

If you're saying TOM is more important to Hollyoaks than Ste, then you're surely the one who's joking. Yes, he was a cutie in the day and yes he won some awards. Fabulous. But he offers nothing now except the odd corny speech. Whilst I'm sure Ste can go on to provide Hollyoaks with some of their most high-profile hard-hitting storylines for a long time to come. I envision a self-harm/alcoholism type of story for him next, which with him in the forefront would have every bit of potential to be as big as Esther's suicide or Hannah's anorexia.

Sorry but that's a load of crap. Acting is all in opinion so fair enough if you think he's very good etc. However, Ste is nowhere near 'one of Hollyoaks most iconic, recognisable, widely-known characters' There's Brendan, Clare, Warren, Silas, Max, OB and of course Tony! And Tom has many connections to Hollyoaks history and different characters over the years, he is Hollyoaks' future.

On the OP, no it had to be Cheryl!
  • Options
    lulu glulu g Posts: 52,649
    Forum Member
    No, this was a family affair. And, while I have not always liked Cheryl (and have at other times), Brendan absolutely adores her. He has protected her all her life and there was no way he was not going to protect her now. Their scenes together were deeply moving.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    _elly001 wrote: »
    Cheryl basically shut him out for ages after she saw him chopping up that body. She even tried to prevent him from going to Lindsay's funeral. And there have been other times that she has shown poor judgement when it comes to Brendn as well - she acted extremely blindly when Seamus came on the scene, too.

I'm not saying Ste is a saint but he's always come good with Brendan when it counts, and unlike Cheryl, Brendan has given Ste numerous reasons not to trust him. I don't know, I was just surprised that he said to Cheryl that she was the only one when there was a fairly substantial amount of time when she wasn't talking to him at all, and blocking all his attempts to make up for things, and ignoring his clear distress over his father being there. I don't feel Cheryl has always 'been there' for him, which is what that statement was implying.

we definetly give different meaning to the words "when it counts". Thay had fights like every sibilings do even with the silent treatment and well who would blame her after the Mick thing? Yes, she is a bit self-absorbed, but her father manipulated her too so I don't think her being incapable of reading the signs of the situation counts as not being there for him. If you say that, then what about Ste who didn't understand Brendan's discomfort and also told him to man up? Ste and Cheryl both have suffered from different reasons because of Brendan, but the only one who always believed Brendan when it mattered was Cheryl and that's more important than little fight sibilings can have.
    As much as Ste and Brendan love each other they often hurt and let down one another
  • Options
    IzzyInTheHouseIzzyInTheHouse Posts: 4,348
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with the above, it was a very destructive relationship in some ways.

I doubt if they had got their 'happy ending', that they would have ever been truly happy (sorry Stendan fans :o)
  • Options
    Lewi26Lewi26 Posts: 11,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love ste but it was rightly Cheryl, everything about that episode was perfect