Weddings have become too big and flashy

Comments

• tealadytealady Posts: 26,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2. They are becoming increasingly burdensome for guests. The stag/ hen weekend has become a bloated monstrosity, often costing many hundreds of pounds per guest. I don't know when this became a 'tradition', but I promise that a stag or hen night used to be just that - a night out.
    I agree with that and your other point.
    One of my friends was invited to a 3 day hen weekend in Brighton, plus 2 daughters and then got the third degree as to why she couldn't afford to bring her 2 daughters.
  • epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You disappoint me, Mr epicurian. I was hoping for a more stereotypical response like 'limey son-of-a-bitch' from yourself and 'con' from J-F. :p

Well, you are more than welcome to kiss my ass. :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    orangebird wrote: »
    I see nothing wrong with people having a flashy wedding. I've been to a few and they were delightful! My wedding cost approx £2k, with 25 guests and it was great. Each to their own, but all this inverted snobbery is just as distasteful as the weddings you so despise.

I don't see any inverse snobbery? People are complaining about the increased pressure on everyone to spend spend spend, including the guests.
  • OhWhenTheSaintsOhWhenTheSaints Posts: 12,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    oi hands off :D

I had my hands on first :D:p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't see any inverse snobbery? People are complaining about the increased pressure on everyone to spend spend spend, including the guests.

There's plenty!!! 'My dress only cost £40' etc.... Good for the person that only spent a few quid on their dress. It's their prerogative. But that does not mean that someone who may have spent hundreds on theirs is at fault, and doesn't understand the real meaning of a marriage.
  • Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think they have. I knew of no 70s wedding that was anything like as extravagant and costly as some weddings now. A huge wedding industry has sprung up that simply did not exist 30 or 40 years ago.

Blame Katie Price, Victoria Beckham, and the likes who all stuff themselves in Hello or OK and some misguided people will try to live up to it
  • Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I have to go on a stag do to Vegas next year, I can't really say no because he was my best man! I am not into gambling, artificial environments or prostitutes and would never choose to go there normally! I am sure it will be fun though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's plenty!!! 'My dress only cost £40' etc.... Good for the person that only spent a few quid on their dress. It's their prerogative. But that does not mean that someone who may have spent hundreds on theirs is at fault, and doesn't understand the real meaning of a marriage.

Inverse snobbery is something I had never encountered before joining DS, but I agree it's commonplace here.
  • DaisyBillDaisyBill Posts: 4,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see nothing wrong with people having a flashy wedding. I've been to a few and they were delightful! My wedding cost approx £2k, with 25 guests and it was great. Each to their own, but all this inverted snobbery is just as distasteful as the weddings you so despise.

There's nothing wrong with it. It's just that some of us enjoy simple more down to earth weddings much more - that isn't inverted snobbery, it's just a preference.
  • Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My girlfriend's mate got married at the end of May. She got married in the church in Sheffield near where she grew up and had a vintage style wedding dress, 6 bridesmaids in purple vintage 50s prom dresses that they could wear again, and straight after the wedding we all walked to the church hall about a minute and a half away for a Cath Kidston style reception with afternoon tea, cupcakes and cocktails. It was all decked out in bunting, a bit WI for my tastes but everyone liked it. It was a really nice informal afternoon and everyone had a good time. They spent most of their money on a decent honeymoon in the Maldives as they haven't had a holiday for years and it seemed to suit everyone. The bride looked great too, not like Katie Price or a Big Fat Gypsy. (But she did turn up 25 mins late) :D
  • academiaacademia Posts: 18,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Spouthouse wrote: »
    Have you never passed a negative opinion on anything? Never said that you don't like a particular film or a genre of book? Never said that something annoys you or offends you? I bet you have.

But that's rather different from raining on somebody else's parade- weddings are personal. Remember the thread where the couple who married in McDonalds were criticised? by some
    Now it's a rush to criticise a big wedding!
    And what about the poster who prefers a funeral to a wedding? A death rather than a wedding and hope for the futurr?
  • venusinflaresvenusinflares Posts: 4,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have to go on a stag do to Vegas next year, I can't really say no because he was my best man! I am not into gambling, artificial environments or prostitutes and would never choose to go there normally! I am sure it will be fun though.

I'm not into gambling, artificial environments or prostitutes either but when we went to Vegas to get married we found that nothing is compulsory, it's all optional.

No one will force you to go with a prostitute.
  • howardlhowardl Posts: 5,120
    Forum Member
    Got married few months ago (2nd time)...the two of us, my son and girlfriend and my now sister in law, saturday morning.... lunch in las iguanos, then me and my son went off to footy in the afternoon.
  • Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Weddings have become very pretentious, lots of trying to out do each other. The best wedding I ever went to was one that was done on a budget. The reception was at a working mans club, the food was a buffet made by the grooms mother, brides brother did the photos and a family friend the video, another family member paid for the cake etc. It was a great day, everyone enjoyed themselves and it probably cost the couple half of what the fancy do's most people seem to favour these days cost.

My parents reception was chicken in a basket at a local pub. They didn't see the point in spending loads of money and thought it would be better spend on a deposit for a house.
  • epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not into gambling, artificial environments or prostitutes either but when we went to Vegas to get married we found that nothing is compulsory, it's all optional.

This is true. We were married in a wedding chapel off the strip, and there was absolutely nothing about it that screamed Las Vegas. It was all very low key and simple.
  • LuckyyemLuckyyem Posts: 598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Had another thought since my post yesterday.

A couple of years ago I helped out a friend at the hotel she managed. They had weddings every weekend, some weekends they had them on a Friday, Saturday and Sunday. The venue was lovely and the wedding packages were very reasonable but the bar prices were stupidly high, £6.75 for a standard pint, £7.25 for a premium pint. Guests used to get really annoyed about the high bar prices, forever moaning behind the bride and grooms back. I asked my friend if the bride and groom were told about the bar prices when they booked, she said the bar price list was always given to them in the paperwork. She said 9 times out of 10 that if one of them mentioned the drinks price, the other would reply something along the lines of, what does it matter we won't be paying for drinks!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's a stag do, there will be a load of lads there, I will have no choice in what to do! Nothing will be optional (bar the prostitute) :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    epicurian wrote: »
    This is true. We were married in a wedding chapel off the strip, and there was absolutely nothing about it that screamed Las Vegas. It was all very low key and simple.

Going to get married is one thing, going on a stag do is very different. The stag is a bit of a party animal.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, I feel sorry for the poor suckers who spend a small fortune on a wedding in an effort to impress people.

It's all very boring now.
  • howardlhowardl Posts: 5,120
    Forum Member
    Big.Al wrote: »
    Yes, I feel sorry for the poor suckers who spend a small fortune on a wedding in an effort to impress people.

Agree.....then later spend a small fortune on divorce
  • BelfastGuy125BelfastGuy125 Posts: 7,515
    Forum Member
    I dunno why so many on DS are so willing to go back to 70's and 80's land.

I mean going back to granny's house for a spread after a wedding?? Hahah don't make me laugh. I'm not into all that commitment BS or nice principles about "life long marriages". Leave that crap to the daily mail and conservatives.

So if I have a wedding it will be an upmarket affair with a bit of class and suave for my enjoyment.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Big.Al wrote: »

Why do you think it's just to impress people?
  • PrincessTTPrincessTT Posts: 4,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As long as the couple is happy with their wedding then that's all that matters really... If it's going to cost guests loads to attend then they can always turn down the invitation.

Couples having big weddings shouldn't get upset if friends can't afford to attend though.
  • Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member
    howardl wrote: »
    Agree.....then later spend a small fortune on divorce

I suppose theres an element in some people who think that if they spend a fortune on a wedding then it prooves to people they are taking it more seriously than a couple who dont spend a lot. Nobody gets married expecting it not to last.

My cousin got engaged after dating a bloke for a few months and her wedding is later this year. She told our nan that once the honeymoon is booked they will have spent close to £20k :o

Normally i wouldnt be sceptical but the groom has recently gotten divorced after cheating on his pregnant wife months after he married her!

What kind of idiots spend 20k on a wedding when the groom is known to have not lasted half a year with his previous wife for cheating? To me thats a perfect example of them spending money to try and proove to people that this is the real deal and this time round it will have a happy ending.
  • Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member
    PrincessTT wrote: »
    As long as the couple is happy with their wedding then that's all that matters really... If it's going to cost guests loads to attend then they can always turn down the invitation.

Couples having big weddings shouldn't get upset if friends can't afford to attend though.

Thats the problem though.

I turned down an invite to my cousins wedding (which was cancelled a few days later) and it caused a lot of friction in the family. I just couldnt justify having a day off work and travelling there for just the reception.

My other cousins wedding im not going to. Similar situation really with it being a week day and also the travelling and the length of it. Again certain family members have gotten a bit stressed out about it but you arent obliged to go to weddings.

People shouldnt be expected to go just because they are invited but some couples dont seem to accept it and nor do their families. Its much harder to say no sometimes than it is to just go.