Things that have disappeared from the supermarket shelves or are much rarer now

Comments

• bootyachebootyache Posts: 15,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    realwales wrote: »
    I was thinking while walking around my local supermarket about how certain products that were very common even 10 years ago have either completely disappeared from the shelves or are much harder to find nowadays. A few examples:

Maxwell House coffee I remember growing up this was right up there with Nescafe as the nation's leading brand, and there were TV adverts with Noel Edmonds. Nowadays, most supermarkets no longer stock it at all. Morrisons still does the blue jar granulated coffee, but the red jar powder coffee is now very rare indeed, I've also seen the sachet boxes in pound shops. In Britain, it's now produced by Kraft.

Brooke Bond D tea This used to be a very popular brand, and, so my elders tell me, one of the better teas on the market. It's now manufactured by Typhoo and is available to buy in their online shop, with identical packaging to before minus the 'Brooke Bond' words.

Ross frozen foods Much rarer than it used to be.

There must be plenty of others too.....

You can get Ross frozen foods in Iceland supermarkets. :D
  • Egg The GothEgg The Goth Posts: 932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Coconut ice cream
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    moonlily wrote: »
    Mateus Rose?

Symingtons Table Creams

Treetop Squashes/Cordials

Spangles

You can still get Mateus Rose in any supermarket. (New bottle) ;-)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can still get Heinz curried beans, just not in the single serving tins anymore, just the large ones.

There used to be a little microwave meal pot by Princes with Tikka Masala which used to be quite tasty but I haven't seen them in over 7 years now. Probably just as well as they were most likely hellishly fatty and unhealthy, delicious though :kitty:

Also in the frozen food department, it's very rare to see Findus products. Anyone remember in the early 80s their French bread pizzas? They were yummy too.

Iceland supermarkets?
  • Hogs HeadHogs Head Posts: 21,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maltesers White Chocolate pouches :( I miss them. I asked for a packet for Christmas, but my partner/parents couldn't find them anywhere! Same for Terry's honeycomb Chocolate Orange.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Centaurion wrote: »
    Gypsy Creams ?

Tins of mince that DON'T have effing onions or effing peas in them, just the effing mince please FFS ....eh ?

Can't help here but I love this post. :cool::cool::D
  • sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I loved Nobbys chilli coated nuts, I've had others but Nobbys are the best. Sainsburys and Tesco used to sell them but stopped a couple of years back and now I only really see them in Poundland. If they are there I buy several packets.

Does anybody remember a chocolate about 10 years ago. They were very similar to Ferrero Rocher and had an advert with people leaving them all over. I think they were called something like Mucho? I seem to recall a big thing about these chocolates being launched back in 2004/5 time but then they disappeared almost as soon as they appeared
  • spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    box of soap flakes. Dreft or similar. Great for washing woolens, many cleaning jobs, etc. Low priced, no profit margin, probably y they hav vanished.........
  • venusinflaresvenusinflares Posts: 4,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'United' chocolate biscuits, I used to love those, both original and orange flavour.

'Greens' cheesecake. I always had one in the cupboard, just the best emergency cheesecake ever, ready in half an hour and so much nicer than a frozen one. We used to have it with some tinned summer fruit pie filling. Sadly I haven't been able to replace the last one I used :(

White Chocolate Oranges, they are no more :(
  • BanglaRoadBanglaRoad Posts: 57,514
    Forum Member
    Cremola Foam
    Was a powder that came in a small tin and you added a teaspoon full to a glass of water to make a fizzy drink. Have not seen that since I was a kid in the 70s. The strawberry flavoured one looked exactly like the pink water you get in the dentists.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17
    Forum Member
    Tide washing powder
    Minty eggs (like creme eggs but with mint fondant in them)
    Nutty Bars (years ago!)
  • BanglaRoadBanglaRoad Posts: 57,514
    Forum Member
    Tide washing powder
    Minty eggs (like creme eggs but with mint fondant in them)
    Nutty Bars (years ago!)

Oh they were bloody horrible!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jzee wrote: »
    You can get mint aero, very addictive though.

Viscount biscuits?

Mint aero doesn't hold a candle to wispa mint. Wispa mint was so much nicer.

My local £1 shop sells Viscount biscuits.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mint aero doesn't hold a candle to wispa mint. Wispa mint was so much nicer.

This is correct, as much as I like mint Aero, Wispa Mint was far superior.
  • Calamity-joCalamity-jo Posts: 794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Toffee and Mallow eggs. Like Creme Eggs, but as the name suggests, full of soft toffee and marshmallow. Gorgeous and no longer available. :(
  • floogfloog Posts: 981
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Soda Stream related stuff. At one point in the early to mid '80s no supermarket would be without an aisle devoted to Soda Stream concentrates and paraphernalia.
  • ShaunIOWShaunIOW Posts: 11,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    KP Beef crisps
    Golden Wonder Beef & Onion and Sausage & Tomato crisps
    Kraft 97% fat free spicy mayonnaise
    Birds Eye Four Seasons frozen pizza
    Banjo, Bandit, Golden Cup, Bar Six chocolate bars
    Ski Strawberry ice cream bars
    Paxo bread sauce
    Midnight Mint choc ices
    HP Spicy Tomato ketchup
    HP Tomato with Worcester Sauce ketchup
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17
    Forum Member
    Hogs Head wrote: »
    Maltesers White Chocolate pouches :( I miss them. I asked for a packet for Christmas, but my partner/parents couldn't find them anywhere! Same for Terry's honeycomb Chocolate Orange.

is this the same thing?
    http://groceries.morrisons.com/webshop/product/Terrys-Chocolate-Orange-Toffee-Crunch/259979011?from=offers&parentContainer
  • Paul_PPaul_P Posts: 269
    Forum Member
    I loved Turkey Twizzlers, if I ever see Jamie Oliver I will slap him on sight in revenge for their demise.

I miss........

Pot Rice

Nutty Bars.

Snowflakes.

Cadburys Secret.

Two Dogs alcoholic lemonade.

WKD with Vodka in it and not that horrible wine based crap they sell now.

You can still get Creamola Foam, only it's not called Creamola due to copyright, ditto French Bread Pizza, Tesco sell them as "Pepperoni Subs" or something.
  • MissCharleyPMissCharleyP Posts: 1,168
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cadburys Chunky - usually only available round Christmas. Not seen them for years - I loved them!
  • IamBagpussIamBagpuss Posts: 290
    Forum Member
    Mingles - a chocolate mint sweet. Gorgeous!
  • Lucy Van PeltLucy Van Pelt Posts: 11,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really miss hard cheese flavoured Nik Naks

Do Taxi biscuits still exist?

Other ones which disappeared many moons ago (some younger posters may not remember)

Pacers

Corona fizzy driks

Squirt ( a soft drink bit like Lilt but nicer, you see Paula Yates holding a can of it in the Band Aid video when Gary Kemp kisses her)

Ice Magic

Quattro fizzy drink

Ipso (similar to Tic Tacs, they used to sell them in the chemists along with whistle shaped lollipops)

Frys chocolate bar in different fruit flavours per piece (why oh why were they taken away?)

Packs of toffos in original, strawberry, mint and chocolate flavour (the choc ones were a bit sickly)

Bunny Tots (like smaller versions of the Tutti Frutti sweets)

Coca Cola in the size of a supercan

Jolly Rancher hard boiled square shaped fruity sweets

You used to get Cherry Pepsi as well as Cherry coke but for some reason it didn't last long
  • shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tesco value instant hot chocolate. It is 58p for 400g and helps make a fantastic mocha. No other hot chocolate works for me and suddenly all the locals local Tescos have stopped selling it. Barsterds >:(>:(
    I have found one about 20 miles away that still stocks it and I buy about 10 each time.
    Why tf do they do this?
  • blahblahblah57blahblahblah57 Posts: 3,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    moonlily wrote: »
    Mateus Rose?

Symingtons Table Creams

Treetop Squashes/Cordials

Spangles

I absolutely LOVED Spangles - all varieties (remember Old English).

Remember Delite chocolate bars by Marabou (Swedish made), they were delicious as well.

Let's start a campaign.

Bring back Spangles and Delite!

Bring back Spangles and Delete!

Bring back Spangles and Delete!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh I used to love the Marabou Delite bars! No one else seems to remember them though!