Options

iOS 8.4 Update

JasonJason Posts: 76,557
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Wasn't sure if i should have put this in music, but unless i'm missing something, there's a rather glaring omission to the new music app .. there's no apparently ability to shuffle your main music collection.

You can press the three dots beside a song and get the new context menu with 'play next', 'add to up next' e.t.c.. and that's it. The only "shuffle" ability appears to be on manually created playlists.

You can manually choose a song to start playing and then tap the 'shuffle' symbol but there doesn't appear to be an ability to simply shuffle from the start.

Comments

• Options
    StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Any other issues so far?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nothing i've noticed at the moment, no. The music app was the one that stood out for me because I tend to primarily use my iPhone for music. I'm not really too bothered about Apple Music or Beats Radio as I only have 1gb of data each month and i've tried streaming before on Virgin and it's pretty terrible.

Apart from the updates to iBooks, the other updates seem to be minor bug fixes.
  • Options
    jb76jb76 Posts: 572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Will they have to do another update when Apple pay launches or how do you add a card. Also I know they said July but any idea when in July?
  • Options
    GrahamSLGrahamSL Posts: 37
    Forum Member
    Stig wrote: »
    Any other issues so far?

Yes, and a pretty bl**dy big one.

Apple have removed Home Sharing for music, without warning >:(

Appreciate that many people won't even notice, but for anyone like me that relied on it daily, it's pretty shoddy behaviour from Apple. For my use case, there is no alternative, which is escpecially annoying.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seems like I'm not the only one to notice the removal of the shuffle button. maybe it'll be returned in 8.5 :)

I'll probably stick with Mezzo for now, even though the new music app does seem to have "borrowed" a few features from it.
  • Options
    QuackersQuackers Posts: 4,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Give feedback.

https://www.apple.com/feedback/

I've done many times and on 1 occasion it was followed up by contact with an Engineer. So the feedback is actually used, and not just binned.
  • Options
    d123d123 Posts: 8,605
    Forum Member
    jb76 wrote: »
    Will they have to do another update when Apple pay launches or how do you add a card. Also I know they said July but any idea when in July?

ApplePay works through the PassBook app, it should already be on your iPhone. It might need an app update to switch the functionality on.
  • Options
    Kingsd316Kingsd316 Posts: 892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    d123 wrote: »
    ApplePay works through the PassBook app, it should already be on your iPhone. It might need an app update to switch the functionality on.

Ive not been able to register a card as yet so not sure if its switched on
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Quackers wrote: »
    Give feedback.

https://www.apple.com/feedback/

I've done many times and on 1 occasion it was followed up by contact with an Engineer. So the feedback is actually used, and not just binned.

I'll be sending feedback today regarding the disappearance of Home Sharing. I'm waiting to see when they can be bothered to add iOS 8.4 to the "Which version of iOS are you using" drop-down on the feedback form ;-)

I had a support chat with Apple today. The agent was very friendly but couldn't give me any more than the very fluffy and ultimately useless "I just want to let you know that Apple is always evaluating the features we offer in our software in order to provide the best performance and experience for all of our customers. Home Sharing was removed from Music in iOS 8.4 as a part of this ongoing effort." >:(
  • Options
    d123d123 Posts: 8,605
    Forum Member
    Any one else finding that the orientation sensor doesn't seem to be working properly? In my case on an iPad Air 2.

Works straight after a restart, but then decides not to after a short while.
  • Options
    QuackersQuackers Posts: 4,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GrahamSL wrote: »
    I'll be sending feedback today regarding the disappearance of Home Sharing. I'm waiting to see when they can be bothered to add iOS 8.4 to the "Which version of iOS are you using" drop-down on the feedback form ;-)

I had a support chat with Apple today. The agent was very friendly but couldn't give me any more than the very fluffy and ultimately useless "I just want to let you know that Apple is always evaluating the features we offer in our software in order to provide the best performance and experience for all of our customers. Home Sharing was removed from Music in iOS 8.4 as a part of this ongoing effort." >:(

Eddy Cue is being very active on Twitter today/yesterday over Apple Music, maybe try tweeting him about Home Sharing? Never know :) He has been replying to other peoples questions.
  • Options
    The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member
    Kingsd316 wrote: »
    Ive not been able to register a card as yet so not sure if its switched on

They said July, not when in July ;-)
  • Options
    NightHawk123NightHawk123 Posts: 7,015
    Forum Member
    I don't need Apple Music. Should I update for the bug fixes or leave it?
  • Options
    clonmultclonmult Posts: 3,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Which phone are you using?

Finally update my 4S to 8.3 a few days back, which claimed "performance improvements", and instead it actually slowed it down (most noticable on the way the keyboard appears when unlocking the phone).

I expect that 8.4 will result in further slowdowns to the 4S. Other phones it won't be quite as bad on.
  • Options
    IcaraaIcaraa Posts: 6,068
    Forum Member
    I'm an iTunes Match subscriber with an Apple Music free trial. My music library is basically showing 5 songs which must be ones I've downloaded since being on the trial. I've no idea where the rest of my library is. What a mess.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I don't need Apple Music either but I still update because of the overall re-design of the music app - it's got some nice new tweaks - apart from the shuffle button removal.
  • Options
    Kingsd316Kingsd316 Posts: 892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They said July, not when in July ;-)

They shouldnt give me the option then to add a card, gets my hopes up then dashed!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Quackers wrote: »
    Eddy Cue is being very active on Twitter today/yesterday over Apple Music, maybe try tweeting him about Home Sharing? Never know :) He has been replying to other peoples questions.

Thanks for the suggestion. I tweeted Eddy Cue last night (and Tim Cook, and Apple Music) but no response yet. A few others have joined in too, so we'll see what happens. Also been rabble-rousing on the Apple Support Communities ;-)
  • Options
    DevonBlokeDevonBloke Posts: 6,835
    Forum Member
    Kingsd316 wrote: »
    They shouldnt give me the option then to add a card, gets my hopes up then dashed!

The option shouldn't be there. Are you sure you are set to UK in regional settings?
    If I go into Passbook I normally get this....

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9d9qs04jz2vcpc9/Photo%202015-07-01%2014.47.31.png?dl=0

But... if I set the region to US I get this....

https://www.dropbox.com/s/13mnqre8htn9tkf/Photo%202015-07-01%2014.47.57.png?dl=0

You don't even need to reboot the phone it happens on the fly. Open Passbook, change to US in settings, go back to Passbook and it instantly changes.

d123: I'm guessing an update will be needed for Applepay as this happens even without an Internet connection so it's built into the OS.
  • Options
    chandlerpchandlerp Posts: 4,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Icaraa wrote: »
    I'm an iTunes Match subscriber with an Apple Music free trial. My music library is basically showing 5 songs which must be ones I've downloaded since being on the trial. I've no idea where the rest of my library is. What a mess.

I had that and it was set to only show the tunes I had made available offline. Click on the "All Playlists" dropdown halfway down the My Music screen and switch off "Music Available Offline"
  • Options
    psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Settings > Music > iCloud Music Library. It took about 10 mins for my roughly 10k songs to appear after that.
  • Options
    IcaraaIcaraa Posts: 6,068
    Forum Member
    psionic wrote: »
    Settings > Music > iCloud Music Library. It took about 10 mins for my roughly 10k songs to appear after that.

Yep that's all on and I've got 2 songs in My Music.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep that's all on and I've got 2 songs in My Music.
    Just comparing the settings I have on mine:

In the Music App itself, My Music at the right of the bottom bar, library at the top, then tap Artists / Albums / Songs in the middle of the screen then make sure Show Music Available Offline is OFF.

Mine is showing everything I've ever had on iTunes Match. But I am signed up to the Apple Music free 3 month trial. Although this should;t make any difference.
  • Options
    simon69csimon69c Posts: 1,423
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can manually choose a song to start playing and then tap the 'shuffle' symbol but there doesn't appear to be an ability to simply shuffle from the start.
    Does it make a difference whether you can shuffle from the start or just pick any random song and then tap the shuffle button?

Still not entirely clear on what iTunes Match now offers which isn't covered by an Apple Music subscription though?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seems like I'm not the only one to notice the removal of the shuffle button. maybe it'll be returned in 8.5 :)

I'll probably stick with Mezzo for now, even though the new music app does seem to have "borrowed" a few features from it.

Shuffle seems to work ok in Play Lists. But I haven't found anything that shuffles the entire library, like you could do in the previous version. Or at least I cannot see the option anywhere??