Options

Spell Checker for Samsung Galaxy Tab S

Ned_SeagoonNed_Seagoon Posts: 125
Forum Member
Could someone please advise me if there is a live (check as you type) Spell Checker for my wife's Samsung tablet?

If I access the web on the tablet using Chrome or the Internet Tab there is no automatic notification of miss spelt words.

The only apps I've seen on Google Play store involve typing on a separate app and copying and pasting to the web browser, not ideal.

Thank you.

Butt Spell Chequers Two Khan make Awe Full Miss Steaks.

Comments

• Options
    oilmanoilman Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you got spell checker turned on in settings - language & input.
    (may be in different place - above is for lollipop

it is auto correcting me as I type this.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thank you,

Unfortunately that facility is NOT available on the Galaxy Tab S. I managed to navigate to the correct place but it is NOT shown.

I did a Google search and others have complained too. One poster said it was to do with the keyboard another stated that he had tried numerous keyboards and none of them worked. I wonder why?
  • Options
    ssrssr Posts: 297
    Forum Member
    My tab s has the spell check when using the Samsung keyboard. It is the default setting
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ssr wrote: »
    My tab s has the spell check when using the Samsung keyboard. It is the default setting

Thank you for trying to help.

For the life of me I can't find it. The default on mine has predictive text, which I've turned off. It also has an option of auto correct when using predictive text which is greyed out because predictive text is turned off.

Does yours also have a "Spell Check" Option. Are incorrectly spelled words underlined in red?

Are you using Chrome or a different browser? Certainly on my desktop using Firefox I have a spell checker addon/plugin which works but I believe Chrome doesn't "do" addons for tablets.
  • Options
    ssrssr Posts: 297
    Forum Member
    Spell Checker and predictive text are basically the same thing I believe
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ssr wrote: »
    Spell Checker and predictive text are basically the same thing I believe

Not quite but thank you for replying.
  • Options
    Ellie666Ellie666 Posts: 2,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    go to language and input under the general tab, then select Samsung keyboard and turn auto replace on.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ellie666 wrote: »
    go to language and input under the general tab, then select Samsung keyboard and turn auto replace on.

To use Auto Replace you have to turn on Predictive Text.

I'm pretty sure they are NOT the same as a Spell Checker. I don't like predictive text. I'd rather have something that underlines misspelt words and when I've finished typing I can go back and correct each word in turn. Predictive Text with Auto Replace can replace words which you originally misspelt with a correctly spelt word with a completely different meaning. One might incorrectly type incompetent as "incompetemt" and it auto replaces it with "incomplete" or something like that.