Options

Android Wear now compatible with iOS

JasonJason Posts: 76,557
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2015/08/android-wear-now-works-with-ios/
Remember last week when we caught a glimpse of the new Huawei Smartwatch that ran Android Wear and supposedly worked with iOS? Turns out that wasn't just wishful thinking, because Google has just announced that Android Wear is now compatible with everyone's favourite fruit-branded mobile phone.

That means smartwatch fans with iPhones aren't just restricted to a Pebble, Apple Watch, or other small-time smartwatch brands. The whole world of Android Wear is opening up to them, and just in time for the new announcements at IFA.

Potentially a big problem for the Apple Watch I think.

Comments

• Options
    ThisGuysGoodThisGuysGood Posts: 619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think this is the only way Android Wear has a future, it will not be any threat at all to the iWatch. Beginning of the end for Android???

google will spin this as offering choice, but Android Wear doesn't sell and Google must be hopeful some of Apples records sales will transfer to it devices.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think this is the only way Android Wear has a future, it will not be any threat at all to the iWatch. Beginning of the end for Android???

google will spin this as offering choice, but Android Wear doesn't sell and Google must be hopeful some of Apples records sales will transfer to it devices.

It could easily be a threat to the iWatch IMO as it'll have a wider scope of compatibility. At the moment, if you've got an iPhone you've got the choice between an Apple Watch or a Pebble (which I have).

With Android Wear now working, it'll give you much more choice at a much cheaper price as well.
  • Options
    tycho-magtycho-mag Posts: 8,664
    Forum Member
    Not really. Google and Microsoft have always put all their products onto Apple's platforms for years. (e.g. MS Office on Mac, and GMail / Google+ on iOS).

Apple content is only available on Apple devices, so if you want the best mix of compatibility, getting an iPhone/iPad is a good way bizarrely.
  • Options
    clewsyclewsy Posts: 4,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Android won't die as all these cheap phones will just make more demand. Yes the high end could switxh but also the cheap phones could move over Android uses.

If the old (current) iPhone goes on offer and becomes cheap soon, then yes that could get some Android users switching, however the iphone price will keep many away.

Can't be long for Moto x style now?
  • Options
    clonmultclonmult Posts: 3,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jchamier wrote: »
    Apple content is only available on Apple devices, so if you want the best mix of compatibility, getting an iPhone/iPad is a good way bizarrely.

Aye, because iTunes isn't available for Windows in order to get an iPod synched, and Apple Music isn't available on other platforms </sarcasm>

The MS Band is cross platform. Fitbit is cross platform. Pebble isn't quite as universal.

The Apple Watch is an absolute technical and design disaster that has been sprinkled with Apple magic fairy dust and yet manages to sell. Just goes to show that indeed, you can polish a smelly thing.
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With the walled garden imposing its own limitations iPhone users are better off sticking with the Apple Watch.

Lucky them
    :rolleyes:
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2015/08/android-wear-now-works-with-ios/

Yes, finally thinking about it you are quite right.

People can now buy a high tech watch they like for about £150, but later they might want some extra features the walled garden will not allow.

So, what will they do, buy an £400+ OK Apple watch or buy a new Android phone instead?
    So that high end Huawei watch might long term, persuade iPhone users to upgrade to an Honor 7.

A consumer postive here is that the Apple watch price now needs to better reflect perceived value, say £155 for aluminium and £210 for steel?