Phrases you can't stand hearing

1234568»

Comments

• Options
    SaturnVSaturnV Posts: 11,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Caxton wrote: »
    The phrase when something happens — "Early doors" Picked up no doubt to be trendy from a silly TV programme of the same name

Maybe it wouldn't be annoying if you knew that It's the other way round. "Early doors" is an old expression which referred to the first cinema showing of the day. Common in the north to mean 'first opportunity'.
    The programme was titled that because the customers were in the pub before teatime - early doors.
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    I'm not really bothered about the various expressions people use, but more so about people who constantly say things like 'you know', 'like' or 'you know what I mean' as frequent sentence breakers in normal conversation.

It makes them look thick.

You know what I mean, like.

:D
  • Options
    netcurtainsnetcurtains Posts: 23,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Caxton wrote: »
    The phrase when something happens — "Early doors" Picked up no doubt to be trendy from a silly TV programme of the same name

That was a fantastic programme and not in the slightest bit trendy. I've heard old folk say it, doesn't bother me.
  • Options
    stevebrownstevebrown Posts: 1,943
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm hearing "Happy days" quite a bit lately, being used after a sentence, like "I've got a week off work next week. Happy days". I hate it, it really grates on me! :mad:
  • Options
    flyingvflyingv Posts: 4,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not really a phrase but the inappropriate use of the word 'awesome' really jangles my last nerve.

I worked with a a girl for a short while earlier this year who constantly said it. "The stationery's been delivered". "Oh, awesome!". Ugh. She also did that upwartd inflection at the end of every sentence like Australians/Americans do. I can't take people like that seriously.
  • Options
    thats_racistthats_racist Posts: 1,422
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know somebody who describes conversations like this;

"He turned to me and said, so I turned to him and said, then he basically turned around and said..."

I always imagine him having conversations with people frantically turning round in circles. :D

Also, 'literally'. "I was literally legless." NO YOU WEREN'T!
  • Options
    hammerfanhammerfan Posts: 1,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My boss uses a lot of the jargon, his latest one is "I'll just put this in your radar" - why can't you just tell me? You used to a week ago, while you were "thinking outside of the box" and "brainstorming".

It's surprising I haven't thrown him out of the windows! :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know somebody who describes conversations like this;

"He turned to me and said, so I turned to him and said, then he basically turned around and said..."

I always imagine him having conversations with people frantically turning round in circles. :D

Also, 'literally'. "I was literally legless." NO YOU WEREN'T!

this had me in stitches - literally!!! ok ok not literally but it was a very funny post :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Owned - as in, he like literally owned her in that argument.

At this moment in time - it's already gone in the time it took you to say that!

Free Gift - a gift is free.
  • Options
    big_satsumabig_satsuma Posts: 387
    Forum Member
    jra wrote: »
    I'm not really bothered about the various expressions people use, but more so about people who constantly say things like 'you know', 'like' or 'you know what I mean' as frequent sentence breakers in normal conversation.

It makes them look thick.

You know what I mean, like.

:D

I like totally do :D
  • Options
    himerushimerus Posts: 3,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At this point in time....
    To be perfectly honest...
    At the end of the day...
  • Options
    td1983td1983 Posts: 2,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "good times" or "bad times" at the end of a facebook status update-god, i hate that!
  • Options
    chriswyattchriswyatt Posts: 3,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    td1983 wrote: »
    "good times" or "bad times" at the end of a facebook status update-god, i hate that!

Yes! Not just me!
  • Options
    PhoenixblissPhoenixbliss Posts: 9,478
    Forum Member
    When someone says "The reality is...."

Can be so patronising.
  • Options
    chriswyattchriswyatt Posts: 3,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When someone says "The reality is...."

Can be so patronising.

Well, the reality is that people will keep on saying it. So you'll just have to put up with it!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,566
    Forum Member
    "the morra" or even worse, "the marro"

Since when did it become two words? :mad:
  • Options
    td1983td1983 Posts: 2,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    another one i hate-calling a tv series a "season" like the americans do! and "firefighters" instead of "firemen", it's so pc!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 315
    Forum Member
    "Heads up", which is becoming more prevalent in my buzzword-crazy workplace. "Just a quick heads up...." conjures up all sorts of images to my smutty mind.