Options

Launch night ratings disaster: what went wrong?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 43
Forum Member
Big Brother launched with its lowest ever ratings last night (2.13m/9.95%) being thrashed in the ratings by a BBC Two Horizon special about cats.

After all the buzz around the new series, what went wrong?

Comments

• Options
    Terry HesticlesTerry Hesticles Posts: 267
    Forum Member
    Hmm, strange...I thought the secrets & lies hype and buzz surrounding Emma definitely would have helped it do better than this!
  • Options
    mrmattybeckmrmattybeck Posts: 1,697
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lets be patient lets see where it holds at
  • Options
    TheBillyTheBilly Posts: 5,514
    Forum Member
    They need to get back to the way the early big brothers were done. Put a load of normal people in and let things happen naturally without daft twists.
  • Options
    od hominemod hominem Posts: 8,593
    Forum Member
    Ooh, look ^, another boring, negative post (OP) about a show that's barely five minutes old. You wouldn't happen to live under a bridge, by any chance, would ya?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TheBilly wrote: »
    They need to get back to the way the early big brothers were done. Put a load of normal people in and let things happen naturally without daft twists.

That can't have anything to do with the launch night ratings. What was the figure in 2012?
  • Options
    2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    I turned off towards the end because I thought they told us it would be different, its not, its yet another year full of wannabes and I will not watch for a 3rd year.

The public want normal people, C5 give us circus freaks yet again. if it fails then they have brought it on themselves

Back to basics my backside.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    od hominem wrote: »
    Ooh, look ^, another boring, negative post (OP) about a show that's barely five minutes old. You wouldn't happen to live under a bridge, by any chance, would ya?

It's not a boring and negative post - it's a fact. BB gained its lowest ever viewership for a launch show. Surely something is going wrong somewhere?
  • Options
    TayTayTayTay Posts: 657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought the housemates were better picked this year than the last couple of years.
  • Options
    dtorredtorre Posts: 3,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I agree that going back in time to when BB was a fresh, new concept and TV wasn't saturated with reality shows would definitely help the BB brand
  • Options
    JayPee86JayPee86 Posts: 3,565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know its a tired excuse, but I think its down to promo, all the previous c5 big brothers were advertised on other channels and even had billboards and bus shelter posters here there and everywhere, I noticed that none of my friends knew it was on this year aswell.
    Still 2million is pretty good for channel 5.

I know it isn't what the forum wants to hear, but I think Celebrity BB is the ratings puller and the superior show.hence why they now do it twice a year.
    The civilian series simply does not appeal to the wider audience anymore.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    JayPee86 wrote: »
    I know its a tired excuse, but I think its down to promo, all the previous c5 big brothers were advertised on other channels and even had billboards and bus shelter posters here there and everywhere, I noticed that none of my friends knew it was on this year aswell.
    Still 2million is pretty good for channel 5.

I know it isn't what the forum wants to hear, but I think Celebrity BB is the ratings puller and the superior show.hence why they now do it twice a year.
    The civilian series simply does not appeal to the wider audience anymore.

Interesting point. What do you all think then? Will we see the end of civilian BB soon? Do you think C5 will pull the plug and keep Celeb BB going?
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The cat thing was reality TV with catcams.

Maybe have cameras attached to the housemates colllars.

And cuter housemates.
  • Options
    straystray Posts: 2,867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TayTay wrote: »
    I thought the housemates were better picked this year than the last couple of years.

I agree with you.
  • Options
    TheManWhoLaughsTheManWhoLaughs Posts: 7,271
    Forum Member
    Launch ratings are nothing to do with having "normal people" or going "back to basics" - declining ratings through the series, maybe, but it's not stopping people tuning in the first place.

There's not been that much publicity around the start date and the overall hook of the "secrets and lies" theme was so vague and samey it was hardly going to draw people in. BB's never going to get a big launch again unless they do something completely different at the start.
  • Options
    TheBillyTheBilly Posts: 5,514
    Forum Member
    Last nights twist was so elaborate there wasn't even time to put all the housemates in. And it failed because none of them believed it.
    Stunts like this has killed BB.
  • Options
    jazzydrury3jazzydrury3 Posts: 27,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They said this series would be more UPMARKET! However the housemates, are more freakier than ever, somebody said on another post, this is how youngsters are these days, are they, not ones i see when at college and stuff.

I dont like this Secrets and Lies, which to me is a turn off, if they want to go back to Eco Friendly and stuff, just let it happen.

Brian fans maybe not have been interested in watching, what did Brian ever do wrong nothing in my eyes.

I found the Life Savers programme on BBC1, more interesting, and with Davina returning with Million Pound Drop tonight, be interesting, to see how ratings are
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you add together the ratings for Launch night 1 and Launch night 2...
  • Options
    sherisgirlsherisgirl Posts: 2,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Must admit I tuned off before the end, when I found out there will be another load going in tonight , thought I would catch up then as I expect they will go over last nights.
  • Options
    gavinfarrellygavinfarrelly Posts: 6,195
    Forum Member
    Little/no advertising will have played a big part I think.
  • Options
    od hominemod hominem Posts: 8,593
    Forum Member
    It's not a boring and negative post - it's a fact. BB gained its lowest ever viewership for a launch show. Surely something is going wrong somewhere?

It is boring and negative. The reason for the launch night figures is obvious. No one, except die-hard fans (us, in other words), gives a flying *&^k about BB. It's old news. No one talks about it in the pub or office anymore. Its glory days are gone forever. The fact that it's still on our TV screens is a minor miracle in itself. So stop harping on about viewing figures and concentrate on the show.
  • Options
    TayTayTayTay Posts: 657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just think a lot of people are unwilling to give it a chance to change now, which is understandable after the mess it's been in, but that's a shame as I think they've done a lot to improve it this year.
  • Options
    devizesddevizesd Posts: 1,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I can't see how that would really affect launch night ratings.

I can see that the viewing figures were poor last night but if we continue to get interest from the red tops and the series keeps this higher profile in the written press it is possible that the figures may improve.

As for the housemates, yep there are certainly some wannabees in there but to me the they have a feel of BB 5,6, 7 housemates and these were generally considered to be 'good' series. So some cautious optmism there..........

Early early days yet ;)
  • Options
    jazzydrury3jazzydrury3 Posts: 27,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What mess was big brother in, people slate Brian, buy hey he only presented the show, ive watched every series.

Think Brian got slated far too quick.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Do we have a comparison of the peak ratings for BB13 & BB14?

Did viewers not bother giving it a chance or did they have a peek and not like what they saw?
  • Options
    DODS11DODS11 Posts: 2,026
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I forgot it was on. Came back and was surprised. It'll probably time shift well.. not as well as other stuff because it's on Demand5 rather than the quite frankly superior iPlayer.

Also I don't watch Channel 5 so it was only through this site that I found out it was on. They should have advertised on other channels again.