Options

I heard one of the players in the Super Bowl claim it was the biggest sport in world

DUNDEEBOYDUNDEEBOY Posts: 110,033
Forum Member
✭✭✭✭
Was watching sky sports news earlier and someone who I assume will be taking part claimed american football was the biggest sport in the world:D

I always find it funny after the Super Bowl when someone states that they are now "world champions":o

Comments

• Options
    jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    they do have massive heads though :D
    especially that idiot that was on yesterday ..... not gonna answer anyfing me :p
    and i HATE when americans claim their sports winners are the world champions!
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,919
    Forum Member
    That was one player, most Americans don't think it's the biggest sport in the world.
  • Options
    FMKKFMKK Posts: 32,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The most watched part of any Super Bowl was Madonna's half time concert in 2012 so one could argue that American Football isn't even the biggest event of the day, let alone the biggest sport in the world. :D
  • Options
    JMTDJMTD Posts: 7,967
    Forum Member
    Another phenomenal thread from DUNDEEBOY :D:D:D;-);-);-):cool::cool::cool::kitty:
  • Options
    Thomas007Thomas007 Posts: 14,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Most English people would say the following:

English league is the best league in the world
    The FA Cup is the best club competition in the world (not the CL)
    British army is the best army in the world etc
    Wimbledon is the best tennis tournament in the world
    The Open championship is better than the masters

Its called patriotism, and that's why the concept of patriotism is completely stupid. OF COURSE an American is going to say the NFL is the best/biggest sport in the world.

I have people in Ireland who tell me Gaelic football is the best sport in the world and get angry at any suggestion otherwise.
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 23,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DUNDEEBOY wrote: »
    Was watching sky sports news earlier and someone who I assume will be taking part claimed american football was the biggest sport in the world:D

I always find it funny after the Super Bowl when someone states that they are now "world champions":o

Given how few other countries play American Football the Superbowl champions probably are the best in the world.
  • Options
    ShappyShappy Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Like the UK based snooker "World Championship" which includes only British players bar the odd Chinese or German?
  • Options
    jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thomas007 wrote: »
    I have people in Ireland who tell me Gaelic football is the best sport in the world and get angry at any suggestion otherwise.

Well they're stupid, it's not even the best sport in Ireland!
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Shappy wrote: »
    Like the UK based snooker "World Championship" which includes only British players bar the odd Chinese or German?
    It doesn't matter where the tournament is based. What matters is that it is open to all comers.

AFAIK the NFL is only open to US fanchises (possibly Canadian?).
  • Options
    jo2015jo2015 Posts: 6,021
    Forum Member

What's happened to the Canadians?

There used to be a snooker world cup and I think England had two teams to make up the numbers.
  • Options
    jo2015jo2015 Posts: 6,021
    Forum Member

I reckon the cricket world cup's bigger given the massive interest in India (how many of their billion of so people are into it).
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 23,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

There have been a couple of Australian winners.
  • Options
    iamsofirediamsofired Posts: 13,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Most English people would say the following:

English league is the best league in the world
    The FA Cup is the best club competition in the world (not the CL)
    British army is the best army in the world etc
    Wimbledon is the best tennis tournament in the world
    The Open championship is better than the masters

Its called patriotism, and that's why the concept of patriotism is completely stupid. OF COURSE an American is going to say the NFL is the best/biggest sport in the world.

OP's example is one of fact, the ones youve listed are subjective.
  • Options
    Thomas007Thomas007 Posts: 14,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    iamsofired wrote: »
    OP's example is one of fact, the ones youve listed are subjective.

Well for example the Spanish league is ranked no.1 by uefa coefficients, so to say the English league is the "best" league in the world is technically false, if someone were to say it is the most exciting league that would be subjective however.

I think my point though is regardless of whether a statement is fact or subjective is irrelevant, as a persons decision on what is the "best" or "biggest" is heavily influenced on where they are from.
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,919
    Forum Member
    Well for example the Spanish league is ranked no.1 by uefa coefficients, so to say the English league is the "best" league in the world is technically false, if someone were to say it is the most exciting league that would be subjective however.

I think my point though is regardless of whether a statement is fact or subjective is irrelevant, as a persons decision on what is the "best" or "biggest" is heavily influenced on where they are from.

UEFA coefficients aren't gospel though, especially as they only take into account performances in Europe.
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,270
    Forum Member

LOL. Talk about glass houses. Who competes in The World Series of Baseball again?
  • Options
    mimik1ukmimik1uk Posts: 46,701
    Forum Member
    dee123 wrote: »
    LOL. Talk about glass houses. Who competes in The World Series of Baseball again?

the world series is named after the original sponsor of the event , an old newspaper called "the New York World"
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,270
    Forum Member
    mimik1uk wrote: »
    the world series is named after the original sponsor of the event , an old newspaper called "the New York World"

And? It shut down in 1931. There's obviously other reasons they keep it.
  • Options
    mimik1ukmimik1uk Posts: 46,701
    Forum Member
    dee123 wrote: »
    And? It shut down in 1931. There's obviously other reasons they keep it.

so what

that is still the reason it is called the world series
  • Options
    MandarkMandark Posts: 47,964
    Forum Member
    I think the American organisers are very aware (thanks to the ever increasing stature of associated football) that their sports lack serious global profiles hence they now hold NFL league matches in London and NBA teams visit regularly. I'm expecting a few Baseball matches next.

They know that if all they've got is the North American market then if domestic interest wanes like what is happening with the NHL, there's nowhere else to pick up the slack. At least ice hockey does have a strong presence in Europe although most fans here watch their domestic leagues rather than the NHL.
  • Options
    BaccattackBaccattack Posts: 2,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've always fancied going to watch a game of baseball. Not sure the UK has any suitable venues for it, maybe one of the larger cricket grounds?
  • Options
    celesticelesti Posts: 26,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In much the same way that Leyton Orient aren't actually by far the greatest team the world has ever seen, there's a little exaggeration and hype applied in sport to talk it up. It's hard to avoid in pretty much any sport really. World class, Geoff.

mimik1uk wrote: »
    It isn't.

The World Series isn't named after a newspaper, it was named because the American and National league champions would play each other and it sounded like a grandstand name.
  • Options
    RunawayGroomRunawayGroom Posts: 635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The worst sport in the word more like. Its 11 minutes of actual action and 2 and a half hours commercials, replays and players huddling with each other and talking for 15 minutes. Even when there is action it is mostly a few seconds of fattys pushing and shoving each other.
  • Options
    celesticelesti Posts: 26,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Haha, yeah!
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Baccattack wrote: »
    I've always fancied going to watch a game of baseball. Not sure the UK has any suitable venues for it, maybe one of the larger cricket grounds?
    Don't forget the beer
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwGybS6TWEM