Options

Ed Miliband was an atheist, was this a factor in Labour's Loss?

Sky_GuySky_Guy Posts: 6,859
Forum Member
Do you think the religious would have backed away from Labour after finding Ed was an atheist?

I know for the majority it would have not really come into the equation, but for a certain sector of voters I'm sure it was talked about.

Comments

• Options
    SurrenderBillSurrenderBill Posts: 19,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ...........no
  • Options
    Mark39LondonMark39London Posts: 3,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would certainly hope not. It might be an issue for some overtly religious types, but they are not anywhere near a majority.

Other than on DS, most can compartmentalize their lifestyle choices quite adequately.
  • Options
    JT2060JT2060 Posts: 5,370
    Forum Member
    He may have alienated some of the Jewish vote, but the rest of us wouldn't really care.
  • Options
    dorkjacksndorkjacksn Posts: 598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not remotely. He didn't really advertise his rationalism, probably so as not to scare away the heavily religious minority Labour vote.

He lost because people thought he was 'a weirdo'. Schoolyard bullying on a national scale. We can never escape it.
  • Options
    GreatGodPanGreatGodPan Posts: 53,186
    Forum Member
    No. And I think you'll find he still is an atheist.

Many will no doubt spend another 5 years asking themselves how Cameron can call himself a Christian, though...........
  • Options
    Forum Member

Many will no doubt spend another 5 years asking themselves how Cameron can call himself a Christian, though...........

He goes to church every Sunday.
  • Options
    AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sky_Guy wrote: »
    Do you think the religious would have backed away from Labour after finding Ed was an atheist?

I know for the majority it would have not really come into the equation, but for a certain sector of voters I'm sure it was talked about.

In the case of my practising Christian hairdresser and his congregation it was a factor.
  • Options
    AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

He is in Westminster Abbey as I type.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Many will no doubt spend another 5 years asking themselves how Cameron can call himself a Christian, though...........[/QUOTE]

I doubt it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Annsyre wrote: »

If Ed had won he would have likely done the reading.

And he would not believe in a word he was saying, makes no difference then.:D
  • Options
    glasshalffullglasshalffull Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In the case of my practising Christian hairdresser and his congregation it was a factor.

OMG...you mean you commute to Topeka Kansas to get a blue rinse :o

(to save people :confused:...Topeka is the location of Westboro Baptist Church...not Clanville Alabama as some seem to think ;-))
  • Options
    cantoscantos Posts: 7,368
    Forum Member
    I do not think his religous or non religous belief has an bearing nowadays.

However when I was growing up as a Catholic in 60's and 70's the message from the Church was that we had a duty to vote Labour in the elections.
  • Options
    GreatGodPanGreatGodPan Posts: 53,186
    Forum Member

:D:D:D:D

Nice one!
  • Options
    glasshalffullglasshalffull Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm almost in sight of the Vatican as I do...doesn't make me a Catholic :D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cantos wrote: »
    I do not think his religous or non religous belief has an bearing nowadays.

However when I was growing up as a Catholic in 60's and 70's the message from the Church was that we had a duty to vote Labour in the elections.

That would be enough for me to vote the opposite way.
  • Options
    oathyoathy Posts: 32,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The way the labour big wigs are 1st singing his praises then basically ripping him apart
    says so much. My anger is only getting worse sadly because all the flaws people saw in Ed Miliband were dismissed etc but its clear what we saw they knew about and decided to ignore it.

I actually cant belive some of the comments on the sunday shows today and they really thought he was going to be PM?? Its not labour they let down its the people relying on them for a fairer society.

Chuka finally mentioned Vulnerable people. Ed never mentioned that group once always "hard working or working families".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    That would be enough for me to vote the opposite way.

Haha you may be right, but they were different times.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    oathy wrote: »
    The way the labour big wigs are 1st singing his praises then basically ripping him apart
    says so much. My anger is only getting worse sadly because all the flaws people saw in Ed Miliband were dismissed etc but its clear what we saw they knew about and decided to ignore it.

I actually cant belive some of the comments on the sunday shows today and they really thought he was going to be PM?? Its not labour they let down its the people relying on them for a fairer society.

Chuka finally mentioned Vulnerable people. Ed never mentioned that group once always "hard working or working families".

I think Labour assumed Ed would be the PM with the SNP in secret.

They never imagined they would do as badly as they did.

They all thought Ed would limp into Downing street with Nicola holding him up, instead he turned up at the gates and got a double barrel from David Cameron.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    oathy wrote: »

Mandelson was basically hinting that they picked the wrong man.
  • Options
    CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    An atheist -- that was probably about the only asset he had.
  • Options
    B-29B-29 Posts: 2,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Er no, his policies had a lot saying Jesus Christ though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Haha you may be right, but they were different times.

:-) I know, and thankfully we have made some progress a since then.
  • Options
    Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,406
    Forum Member
    Mandelson was basically hinting that they picked the wrong man.

He also hinted that the Unions had "influenced" the leadership election by putting Ed's face on the ballot paper - the only picture - and only sending out EM election material to their members.
  • Options
    spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    as in most countries evangelical christians nearly all vote right wing regardless of particular politicians ......
  • Options
    ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    It woz god wot won it.