Did We Always Celebrate Historical Anniversaries So Much Before The Year 2000 ?

St. AnthonySt. Anthony Posts: 1,122
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Currently having a three day celebration of 70th anniversary of VE day on BBC.

I don't mind it at all, but do feel that such things weren't "celebrated" SO much before the year 2000, and more so in recent years.

The Beeb always seem to be building up to some big historical / cultural anniversary or other these days.

In the eighties all I really remember was the "Twenty Years Since Sergeant Pepper / summer of love", don't remember any big memorials for wars, etc.

Comments

• Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, we have always had such things, but with the internet/24 hour telly etc, it has been broadcast more, and in terms of WW2, the veteran numbers still alive are very low now.
  • welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I take it you're too young to remember the huge celebrations for the queens silver jubilee in 1977
  • St. AnthonySt. Anthony Posts: 1,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    welwynrose wrote: »
    I take it you're too young to remember the huge celebrations for the queens silver jubilee in 1977

I was going to mention that as being the only really big historical one that I can remember pre 2000.

I can just about remember it, was five at the time.
  • What name??What name?? Posts: 26,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think so. There seems to be a memorialof the 70th, 41st occasion of anything these days. It's just any excuse for jingoism and expensive parades.
  • What name??What name?? Posts: 26,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    welwynrose wrote: »

And now it's every other week. It's boring
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the last few years have been about the 70th anniversary of the war, which has included so many major events. Shame some find that boring, but it is easy to ignore.
  • Steve_WhelanSteve_Whelan Posts: 1,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Next year is the 25th anniversary of the official end of WW2 they will probably mark that as well.
  • albertdalbertd Posts: 14,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Next year is the 25th anniversary of the official end of WW2 they will probably mark that as well.
    Perhaps you could explain that. :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    albertd wrote: »

Presumably he means the end of the Cold War. Not sure many see it that way though.
  • BeenbagBeenbag Posts: 567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

As WW2 ended in 1945, the 25th anniversary would have been in 1970.
    This year is the 70th anniversary of the end of the war in Europe which is currently being
    celebrated.
    Next will be VJ Day when Japan surrendered, marking the overall end
    Let's not forget the ' forgotten 14th' who suffered extremes of torture we could not imagine, and which Japan has never apologised for.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Presumably he means the end of the Cold War. Not sure many see it that way though.
    Perhaps, but an odd way of putting it.
  • snukrsnukr Posts: 19,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Currently having a three day celebration of 70th anniversary of VE day on BBC.

I don't mind it at all, but do feel that such things weren't "celebrated" SO much before the year 2000, and more so in recent years.

The Beeb always seem to be building up to some big historical / cultural anniversary or other these days.

In the eighties all I really remember was the "Twenty Years Since Sergeant Pepper / summer of love", don't remember any big memorials for wars, etc.
    There was a lot of coverage of the 40th and 50th anniversaries of the end of WWII, probably for the 10th, 20th, 25th and 30th also, but I can't remember those as too young or not born when they happened, also remember the 40th anniversary of D-Day getting a lot of coverage in 1984.
  • Steve_WhelanSteve_Whelan Posts: 1,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

After Germany surrendered Britain maintained a position of war with Germany. When Germany was partitioned in 1949 all of Germany's affairs should have been tied up but they weren't. When Germany was reunified in 1990 technically Britain was at War with Germany again. The treaties that formally ended World War two were not ratified until March 1991.
  • Evo102Evo102 Posts: 13,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

On 15 March 1991 the Treaty on the Final Settlement with Respect to Germany came into effect, having been agreed in 1990 by the Allies and the two Germanies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treaty_on_the_Final_Settlement_with_Respect_to_Germany
  • BeenbagBeenbag Posts: 567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry Steve, I stand corrected and I hope you except my apologies
    They say you learn something new every day!😺
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Beenbag wrote: »
    As WW2 ended in 1945, the 25th anniversary would have been in 1970.
    This year is the 70th anniversary of the end of the war in Europe which is currently being
    celebrated.
    Next will be VJ Day when Japan surrendered, marking the overall end
    Let's not forget the ' forgotten 14th' who suffered extremes of torture we could not imagine, and which Japan has never apologised for.

My Dad was in the Forgotten 14th. It certainly was a hellish place to be.
  • getzlsgetzls Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My Dad was in the Forgotten 14th. It certainly was a hellish place to be.

The far east had to be the worst campaign of the war.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the explanation Steve. I should think that is so little realised that the anniversary will pass unnoticed. However, we will see.
  • Gordie1Gordie1 Posts: 6,993
    Forum Member
    Didn't the BBC do something a while back, it may have been 50th, where they ran news bulletins, but with the news from them presented as live news with current presenters?
  • CarlLewisCarlLewis Posts: 6,236
    Forum Member
    I remember the 40th anniversaries of D Day/WWII and the 50th and 60th too.

It all feels rather distant now at 70 years

I expect a big commemoration on 1 July 2016, the hundredth anniversary of the first day of the Battle of the Somme, the bloodiest day in the history of the British Army.
  • tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did we do the same for the Boer war?
  • cessnacessna Posts: 6,747
    Forum Member
    I don't think so. There seems to be a memorialof the 70th, 41st occasion of anything these days. It's just any excuse for jingoism and expensive parades.

On the contrary - Jingoism was in short supply on todays parade with such a small contingent of Army Navy and Airforce on the march. with one Military band and a pipe band. As for the RAF flypast - hardly enough a/c to make up a flying club.
  • CarlLewisCarlLewis Posts: 6,236
    Forum Member
    cessna wrote: »
    On the contrary - Jingoism was in short supply on todays parade with such a small contingent of Army Navy and Airforce on the march. with one Military band and a pipe band. As for the RAF flypast - hardly enough a/c to make up a flying club.

Agreed.

WW2 feels like a historical event now. Also a chance to honour some very old soldiers.
  • An ThropologistAn Thropologist Posts: 39,854
    Forum Member
    Yes. Throughout my life, every five years like clock work we have celebrated some WW! or WW2 milestone. And if you watch Yesterday its pretty well a daily commemoration. My Dad use to call Yesterday (or whatever it was called before ) The War Channel. The two Wold Wars seem to account for 75% of their output.
  • skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gordie1 wrote: »
    Didn't the BBC do something a while back, it may have been 50th, where they ran news bulletins, but with the news from them presented as live news with current presenters?

That was the 50th anniversary in 1995 when there were actually bigger celebrations than for the 70th now, largely I would think as there were so many more veterans alive