Gay stereotyping!

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,573
    Forum Member
    I was talking about EE's Sonia fiasco.

I'm talking about established characters who have shown no sign of homosexuality suddenly being gay
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rysen wrote:

I'm talking about established characters who have shown no sign of homosexuality suddenly being gay

That's if you believe in fixed categories of sexuality.
  • cobaltmalecobaltmale Posts: 21,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rysen wrote:

It was more like you assumed characters are straight by default.

Lots of gay and bi people deny their sexuality even to themselves for a long time.

G
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 28,673
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cobaltmale wrote:
    It was more like you assumed characters are straight by default.

Lots of gay and bi people deny their sexuality even to themselves for a long time.

G

Yeah but why not go down the line of showing the have bi tendancies instead of just deciding one day "oh i fancy woman" thats how i personally felt EE did with sonia. IMO.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mags31 wrote:
    Yeah but why not go down the line of showing the have bi tendancies instead of just deciding one day "oh i fancy woman" thats how i personally felt EE did with sonia. IMO.

I don't think she did suddenly start liking women as a rule. She just liked Naomi.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mags31 wrote:

So how about how they handled Grayson in "Emmerdale" ?

G
    Forum Member
    If I don't believe in a fixed sexuality does that mean there are no straights or gays and everyone is bi sexual? No I don't think that way.

Cobaltmale....I just have a differing view to you. These are fictional characters who have been shown to us as being straight. I prefere them to stay that way as I empathise with them being straight myself. You may prefer to see them differently. That's your perogative.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thats true BGFW so does it make her bi cos she kissed her and assuming they had sexual relations :p or does it just go down as one of these things. This is not what im sure of. Is she bi or straight and really mags does it matter she is a fictional character lol
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cobaltmale wrote:
    So how about how they handled Grayson in "Emmerdale" ?

G

I havent been watching much of emmerdale to be honest so I cant feel fit to comment. i can only persume perdy knew he was bi/gay when she married him. Is he bi i presume? Look how she felt when she thought he was sleeping with whats his face paul? is that his name. Im sure she would rather he didnt sleep with men whilst married to her but as said im just speculating
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rysen wrote:
    Cobaltmale....I just have a differing view to you. These are fictional characters who have been shown to us as being straight. I prefere them to stay that way as I empathise with them being straight myself. You may prefer to see them differently. That's your perogative.

Unless I see sexual realtions going on they are neither gay, straight or bi to me.

That's what's different.

G
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mags31 wrote:
    I havent been watching much of emmerdale to be honest so I cant feel fit to comment. i can only persume perdy knew he was bi/gay when she married him. Is he bi i presume? Look how she felt when she thought he was sleeping with whats his face paul? is that his name. Im sure she would rather he didnt sleep with men whilst married to her but as said im just speculating

That's not really answered my question though.

G
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rysen wrote:
    If I don't believe in a fixed sexuality does that mean there are no straights or gays and everyone is bi sexual? No I don't think that way.

I personally believe that straight people can have gay thoughts and feelings & gay people can have straight thoughts and feelings. I don't believe in the concept of being 100% hetero or homosexual.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    err i think i did. I dont know graysons position you asked me how i think they handled it my answer stated i cant comment on it as i havent been watching Emmerdale all that much so how can i answer how they handled it so yeah i did answer it
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mags31 wrote:
    thats true BGFW so does it make her bi cos she kissed her and assuming they had sexual relations :p or does it just go down as one of these things. This is not what im sure of. Is she bi or straight and really mags does it matter she is a fictional character lol

She doesn't need a label at all, does she?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BGFW wrote:
    I personally believe that straight people can have gay thoughts and feelings & gay people can have straight thoughts and feelings. I don't believe in the concept of being 100% hetero or homosexual.

In my 32 years of being in this world. I can honeslty hand on my heart say i havent had a gay thoughts or feelings. Whether this is believed is another debate/story but I havent.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BGFW wrote:
    She doesn't need a label at all, does she?

I only asked! Does it make her bi or straight simple really
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mags31 wrote:
    err i think i did. I dont know graysons position you asked me how i think they handled it my answer stated i cant comment on it as i havent been watching Emmerdale all that much so how can i answer how they handled it so yeah i did answer it

That means you did and you didn't and you did :confused:

G
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mags31 wrote:
    In my 32 years of being in this world. I can honeslty hand on my heart say i havent had a gay thoughts or feelings. Whether this is believed is another debate/story but I havent.

But you can only answer for yourself, as can we all.

G
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cobaltmale wrote:
    But you can only answer for yourself, as can we all.

G

Correct
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mags31 wrote:

Fair enough. You're obviously just closer to 100% heterosexuality than other people may be.

Mags31 wrote:
    I only asked! Does it make her bi or straight simple really

It could make her bisexual, bicurious, straight but confused, a suppressed homosexual - any number of things. It could just be the fact that she fell in love with a person who happened to be a member of the same sex. It isn't as cut and dry as "which group shall we put her in?"
    Forum Member
    cobaltmale wrote:
    Unless I see sexual realtions going on they are neither gay, straight or bi to me.

That's what's different.

G

Then you're views are more flexable than mine.

If someone is shown as being gay from the start..say a man, then this man goes and sleeps with a woman...their gay fan base wouldn't like it. Yet they don't seem to do this, unless you count Zoe Tate who was mad and not really sexually attracted to Scot at all.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rysen wrote:
    say a man, then this man goes and sleeps with a woman...their gay fan base wouldn't like it.
    Nope - you got me wrong there.

Had they previously been depicted as 100% gay (via sexual scenes) then I'd be a little dismayed as it's a soap cop-out to say 'we've ran out of gay storylines'. Not because it doesn't happen.

G

Oops I misread that. But my reply is still in there. :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BGFW wrote:
    Fair enough. You're obviously just closer to 100% heterosexuality than other people may be.

It could make her bisexual, bicurious, straight but confused, a suppressed homosexual - any number of things. It could just be the fact that she fell in love with a person who happened to be a member of the same sex. It isn't as cut and dry as "which group shall we put her in?"

Bicurious could fit sonia :D I dont want to group anyone i was just curious myself. I dont care if anyone is gay or straight its whats inside that counts and what they are like as a person not their sexuality. You are what you are and everyone deserves love no matter your sexuality.

But i do feel for people who are not sure of their sexuality or they are afraid to come out.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mags31 wrote:
    But i do feel for people who are not sure of their sexuality or they are afraid to come out.

Yeah, but I think there's only a problem with not knowing one's own sexuality confidently because there's so much pressure from society to fit into a category.

:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BGFW wrote:
    Yeah, but I think there's only a problem with not knowing one's own sexuality confidently because there's so much pressure from society to fit into a category.

:)

I have to agree with this. Society should let you be what you are. There are so many people out there who are ill or totally messed up in the head as they are either unsure what they are or are far too scared to say "im gay". Id be the first to say well done mate for coming out. Bi i have to admit confused me but not being it then i cant understand how a bi person feels